shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori/alternatives

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, my brother is home (YAY) and his girlfriend is moving here when she is done serving in Afghanistan later this year. They are planning on getting engaged. She likes Tacori. My brother and I looked on the website last night and got the numbers for the ones she likes and a couple others thrown in for good measure. I emailed a place in the area that carries them to see if they have them in stock and to ask for prices. My concern is, I told him a center stone would need to be purchased, that the prices are just for the setting alone. He made this face :o and then this face :(sad because now he's not sure if he can afford it. He just bought a house and there is also a wedding to plan too. I thought I would get some feedback from you guys.

She likes Tacori, princess cut, melee/side stones. She is thinking 1 to 1.5 cts. Diamond, not colored stone (which is where I run into trouble b/c I know a big fat zero about diamonds). I asked my brother what budget he had in mind and he said "Crap I don't know-$2500, is that bad? Is that enough? What should I do?" And I said "Let me ask my people". I don't think it's going to be enough, but I also pointed out to him that if he couldn't get the exact size diamond the first time around, she could always upgrade later on, or get a nice blingy wedding band later.

These are the ones she emailed me.
2641PR6
2628PRP
2620PRLGP
These I threw in for good measure
HT2510PR12X
2638PRP55

My questions: In white gold, would the budget allow for any of those settings and maybe a .5ct center stone? Are there other places we could look that have settings reminiscent of Tacori?

Thanks for your help!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
2500 for setting and diamond?

I think I would set more of the money into the diamond, as to go up to 1-1.5c the setting will need to be change drastically. The money that goes into the setting will not be eligible for any upgrades.

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/2641PR6

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/2628PRP

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/2620PRLGP

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/HT2510PR12X

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/2638PRP55

This looks like a nice 0.5c stone.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-284277.htm

EDT:
GOG stone.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7372/

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Beverly K makes some antique looking settings and several are around 1300.
example
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/88PP1/49/

that leaves 1200 for the diamond...stone is better at finding these.

or you could get the most affordable Tacori setting and a smaller diamond...I think one of the Tacori settings was $2100 and GOG is a Tacori dealer
(example http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6954/)

maybe also comb ebay to look for a setting? you'd have to be more careful in your search though...

ultimately he needs to figure out if it's more important to have the Tacori setting or the 1 ct diamond, because with $2500, I don't think you can get both :(

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for doing links to the settings, Stone! The 2 diamonds linked look really pretty to me-I'll pass those along and see what they say.

Bev K is a good idea too, SLG, thanks! I'll do some browsing tonight and see if I can find some things and send a link to his girlfriend as well.

Thanks for the help guys!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool-thanks Sizzle!

I looked some stuff up online. I think (IMO) her best bet is to get something like the WF 4 prong Tiffany style for $300 and sink the rest into the stone. Either the biggest she can get for the money (biggest I could find was .91) or the best for the money, even if it's .5ct. And then save up for a few years and for say, their 5 year anniversary, get a big honker in a Tacori. I sent my brother an email about the things I've found so far. And I suggested checking the mall stores too, but did say it's a trade off-bigger stones, but the quality generally isn't going to be there.

I did of course offer to go to the city with him and play (I mean browse) in the jewelry stores to try on (I mean help him) get some ideas of what is out there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links TyTy! I hadn't even thought to look there, so that's helpful. The 2nd one does look quite similar to what she's looking for. I've got a notebook that I'm keeping track of diamonds and settings I've found and that you guys linked here. He'll be in later today so hopefully something will strike his fancy!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I really love Knox Jewelers. They have some very lovely, old-fashioned/antique type settings. Perhaps he might find something that's her style here- http://www.knoxjewelers.biz

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tuckins! I actually marked down a couple last night to show him! Great minds think alike..and so do ours! :appl:

He's over now, and I told him to ask her if she would rather have a bigger diamond or the fancy setting. I'm going to explain about upgrading the diamond and stuff too.

GiannaV

Rough_Rock
Is her heart set on Tacori though? If so, maybe he can invest all he could on the center stone and put it on a tiffany style 18K white setting. He can then save up for a Tacori setting and get it later on?

Some online places like White Flash will let you trade in your diamond purchase for the full value to get a bigger stone. So if he buys a $2000 rock with them, he can trade it in later on and get a bigger one. Make sure he gets the full details/policy from retailers like that.
If he knows for sure that he will ugrade her rock later on, he should not get a Tacori now. Tacori settings are made to fit the dimensions of the rock. If the dimensions of the rock drastically changes in the future, he will have to buy another Tacori setting to fit that.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww Packrat! do put the majority of the $$$ on the diamond, then have her reset maybe on their one year anniversary into a Tacori.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds to *me* like her heart is set on Tacori, and I told him he needs to talk to her-it's hard b/c her internet time isn't the best, and the time difference and all but he has to talk it over with her *first* and find out what she wants. I totally think if she wants a Tacori that it could be something done later on, like an anniversary, and he could spend more money on the stone now and trade it in later, and just put it in the WF Tiffany style. They've got to talk budget/expectations tho..I've got stuff written down in my little notebook and things bookmarked, but I can't get anything lined up until they get that part figured out. Gotta snap my fingers a bit and crack the whip I guess haha!

Oh hey D&T! Was replying and came up that you replied in the meantime-it's nice to see you babycakes! I found a couple few that might work-one from WF, and that's the way I would go if I were making the decision, with the Tiffany style from them-it would be so gorgeous! Plus, she'd be able to upgrade later and who knows-maybe she'd like to go the custom route or something down the road. I just think there are so many more options in the future going w/them or one of the other online vendors that does trade ins and such.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Sounds to *me* like her heart is set on Tacori, and I told him he needs to talk to her-it's hard b/c her internet time isn't the best, and the time difference and all but he has to talk it over with her *first* and find out what she wants. I totally think if she wants a Tacori that it could be something done later on, like an anniversary, and he could spend more money on the stone now and trade it in later, and just put it in the WF Tiffany style. They've got to talk budget/expectations tho..I've got stuff written down in my little notebook and things bookmarked, but I can't get anything lined up until they get that part figured out. Gotta snap my fingers a bit and crack the whip I guess haha!

Oh hey D&T! Was replying and came up that you replied in the meantime-it's nice to see you babycakes! I found a couple few that might work-one from WF, and that's the way I would go if I were making the decision, with the Tiffany style from them-it would be so gorgeous! Plus, she'd be able to upgrade later and who knows-maybe she'd like to go the custom route or something down the road. I just think there are so many more options in the future going w/them or one of the other online vendors that does trade ins and such.

yes you are abosolutely right! who knows her taste may change once she gets it on her, so putting it in a temp setting, would be a really good option. otherwise, she may have a setting but no diamond :shock:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! I don't know how to phrase it w/out it sounding "Do what I say b/c I'm just right", tho..you know?

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Has there ever been a Poll here as to how many RT still have their original wedding rings? Just curious.

I'm still dealing with the issue of mine being damaged from having the head being replaced and I went to see the recommended Jeweler about having it repaired. He recommended remaking it by melting it down and recasting it so it will be the same ring but like new and even that makes me feel uneasy for some reason.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a bigger diamond :) but I'm sentimental about the ring "I got married with" and I don't want to replace it with anything else - at least I haven't found anything else I would rather have. I fell in love with it at first sight and I haven't ever seen anything else I would rather have since. It's nothing special, but it's my ring. The diamond - well....I've learned since that you can move that around and wear it in a necklace or something and still have it and cherish it but the ring? I still look at it every day and love it.

Have you tried Craiglook? You can search all of Craigslist with Craiglook if you don't put in a zip code. Maybe you can find somewhere close to you or somewhere where you know where some one lives that can look at it for you. Sometimes they are new.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/jwl/1904830272.html

There you go. All he needs is $4700 and Columbus Ohio.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Im not sure how she would feel about slightly used but Dover has a beautiful Tacori setting for$ 1100 listed under settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really aren't aware of prices if she wants a Tacori and a 1 ct. stone, are they??? They'd need to triple the budget. Like the others, I say to get the diamond (around .75-.80) now in a plain tiffany setting and then wait and save for the Tacori setting. If there is any thought of upgrading the stone, they should not buy a Tacori setting now. That setting needs to be for the forever stone. I do think Beverly K makes beautiful settings and that would be good to consider as well. Be sure they buy from a PS vendor that allows for full credit of purchase price toward upgrading the stone.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
At Dover under settings is Estate 2.25cts Platinum Diamond Engagement Mounting Ring Sku#: 194920 - it isn't marked Tacori but it sure looks like the Tacori Dantela Platinum Engagement Ring 2628PRP to me. Only problem is then he would need 3 diamonds and it only takes .75 or 1CT center stone.

And the Tacori can only have a certain size center stone evidently. Something to think about - choosing Tacori?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the continued help guys! Yeah, if she's aware of the pricing on the settings, and how much diamonds cost, she isn't aware of the budget, and now that he's aware of what things cost, they need to have a talk about expectations and things. I've mentioned it several times to him and I hate to sound like a naggy sister when I'm just trying to help, but I don't want her to have a certain expectation of what her ring is going to look like and then have that sinking feeling in her stomach if she's not told beforehand that it isn't possible. (Unless she would be the type to chip in to have what she wants, you know?) I know it's not "romantic" or whatever to talk about the cost of the ering, but it's got to be done. And I know it's probably not something he wants to talk about now-they've not seen each other since April and I'm sure they've got other things on their minds, but it sounds to me like he wants to get engaged right away so...He had mentioned waiting until she got back and then the both of them going, but *still*, budget needs to be squared away beforehand so they're not in a store and her dream ring on her finger and it's 4 times what he wants to/is comfortable spending.

Waiting on the setting for a few years is the best way to go-she can *still* have a kick ass diamond now, with the opportunity to get a bigger kick ass diamond in the future and put it in the perfect setting for her at that time.

I also told him that most people around here have a .25ct stone (if even that-my first was .10). My bff and her husband are quite comfortable and it was 9 years before she got a 1ct ring-and it's not a solitaire, it's a tcw 3 stone with channel set stones down the shank. I know 2 women who have big solitaires and those women have husbands who pull in 6 figures. We have an NFL player here who has millions in the bank-and his wife sports a tiny diamond-I'm quite sure it's the one they got engaged with well before he played in the bowl games. (maybe she saves the huge bling for fancy occasions, I dunno) Soooo, I tried to put it that in our area, for our..income level I guess, even a .5 is going to stand out. (Especially if that .5 is cut perfectly-it will look a million times better than the ones that went for size over quality)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
They sell platinum dipped silver Tacori's on QVC and maybe other television shopping channels. She could just get one like that and use all the money for a diamond. That way she would still have a Tacori and could get the exact one she wanted later. I guess I am strange, but I never understood the allure of a name brand in a ring setting. Since the company sells their name for less than a hundred dollars per ring on TV, I really cannot imagine wanting to spend thousands on their setting and then skimp on the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results