shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori 3002

lory_rn

Rough_Rock
I have fallen in love with the Tacori 3002 Simply Tacori setting at a local jeweler. The jeweler *used* to be an authorized dealer but has since ended their relationship and is now liquidating their in store inventory at a good (unheard of for Tacori) discount! As I am fairly new to this site and jewelry purchasing as well... I am wondering about the logistics of purchasing this set from a now unauthorized dealer. The store showed me the blue card/certificate of authenticity to match the ring. I am not concerned about sizing as the ring fits perfectly as is and does not have the signature crescent throughout the entire ring. The ring currently has a removable head with a CZ emerald cut that can be clipped into the ring for demonstration purposes and one that they would solder together after purchase. This is the ring they would sell me- right off the floor. Is this safe and secure for an expensive center stone? They also said they could customize the existing prongs to a delicate double claw style but I am worried about the skill of the jeweler after reading about the delicateness of claw prongs on these boards.

What route should I take? Would Tacori be able to customize the double claw prongs if I purchased through an authorized dealer at a considerably higher price? What is the status of the Tacori warranty at this point/is the warranty a necessity? Have you seen any other similar settings that already have double claw prongs (really looking for clean solitaire and double claw prongs with no basket/horizontal bar across head so that the entire diamond is able to be seen). Would going custom be completely over the top in price? The designer name isn't important to me, I just love the ring (with the hope of safely customizing the prongs).

Looking to purchase a 1ct (ish) emerald cut- looking for a forever stone. Any insight welcome on how to begin looking into step cut diamonds!
Thanks

img_9640_1.jpg
img_9642.jpg
img_9641.jpg

lory_rn

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have suggestions on buying the showcase Tacori setting at a discount vs ordering direct from an authorized dealer??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lory_rn|1462081515|4025715 said:
Does anyone have suggestions on buying the showcase Tacori setting at a discount vs ordering direct from an authorized dealer??

No expert but I think there is the distinct possibility that the warranty will no longer be valid because it is not being worked on by an
authorized dealer. The level of changes you want should go back to Tacori to be done (IMO).

So I guess it's all up to whether you want to take the chance that the jeweler's bench can do the work for the reduced cost of the
setting.

With the cost of the changes you want what percent is the discount?

I'm of the opinion that split prongs really look best on larger stones. 1 carat IMO is borderline (I would not do it). If the prongs are
not done really well, they will cover up too much of the corners of the stone and distract from the stone. Have you seen split prongs
on a 1 carat emerald?

Picking emeralds...you probably need to start a new thread but...you usually need to stay higher in clarity. You want to see
crisp facets that act like a hall of mirrors (flashing on/off). Pay close attention to the vary center and make sure they are
reflecting well. Asets are very helpful. We have a few step cut people that can further advice you. I like to use James Allen
for fancy cut stones.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My* preference on a 1 carat emerald would be small claw prongs.

lory_rn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! They offered a 40% discount which I feel is fairly substantial in the world of Tacori? They haven't said a price on the customization. Aside from concerns of losing the warranty and the ability of the bench to do the delicate claw work, would it be a safe ring to purchase with the removeable head being soldered in place vs ordering direct from Tacori with the head made specifically with the ring? As you can see in the pictures the ring was set with a CZ which the store told me was a 1ct.

I am concerned about the ability of the bench to make the claws- I have asked to see pictures of their previous work and hope to judge from that. I really do want the delicate claw look and hope to not overpower the center stone. Any idea where I could see a picture of a 1 ct with double prongs? I have seen a lot of stones set with the double claw but I do not know the carat weight of the stones. I am also not 100% dead set on needing the Tacori name but I really like the design aspects of this ring. Has anyone seen a similar ring (plain shank with design on the profile side of the ring and no basket on the head?) Any idea about the cost of going custom?

As for diamonds, I know I want eye clear and have read many threads on the importance of aset images. JA will be a good start to look:)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1462113923|4025793 said:
lory_rn|1462081515|4025715 said:

No expert but I think there is the distinct possibility that the warranty will no longer be valid because it is not being worked on by an
authorized dealer. The level of changes you want should go back to Tacori to be done
(IMO).

So I guess it's all up to whether you want to take the chance that the jeweler's bench can do the work for the reduced cost of the
setting.

With the cost of the changes you want what percent is the discount?

I'm of the opinion that split prongs really look best on larger stones. 1 carat IMO is borderline (I would not do it). If the prongs are
not done really well, they will cover up too much of the corners of the stone and distract from the stone. Have you seen split prongs
on a 1 carat emerald?

Tyty is right about this. When I was first shopping for erings, I thought I wanted Tacori. I spent months obsessing and learning about the brand. If ANYONE other than an authorized dealer SELLS OR WORKS ON their settings, it completely voids their warranty. Only Tacori may work on their products.

If it were me, I'd have DK or ERD do a replica of this setting so you can tweak it just how you like (prongs, engraving, etc)...

EDITED for clarification...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not try to have someone alter the prongs. I would have your setting custom made for your stone by CVB (Caysie van Bebber) if you want antique style or Victor Canera if you want a handforged classic solitaire with fine tiny double prongs.

There is nothing wrong with buying a Tacori sample ring if it is exactly the right size for the stone and you are making no alterations in the setting. But I'd go custom if you want different prongs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1462205076|4026163 said:
I would not try to have someone alter the prongs. I would have your setting custom made for your stone by CVB (Caysie van Bebber) if you want antique style or Victor Canera if you want a handforged classic solitaire with fine tiny double prongs.

There is nothing wrong with buying a Tacori sample ring if it is exactly the right size for the stone and you are making no alterations in the setting. But I'd go custom if you want different prongs.

OMG, how could I possibly forget Caysie??!! :-o Yes, I agree with DS -- CVB would be who I would recommend as well. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results