shape
carat
color
clarity

table reflecting back on IS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone find that when trying to use the IS the actual table itself causes a reflection? Moving the scope in and out seems to change/fix that? Am I going crazy? I am new to using the IS myself (just got mine last night)

Also, should the scope be sitting directly on top of the lightbox to view? It seems to work okay for the CZ that it came with, but the stone I am trying to compare is much larger and seems to need the IS held up a little? Otherwise it seems distorted.

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The only way I can imagine you get a reflection off the table :) is if you have your eye well away from the ideal-scope and you have the beginner model - is this so?
When your eye is close up it makes the lens go blacker.

Different people will focus at different positions - so some need to hold the scope closer or further away by small amounts.

Bigger stones sit higher in the ideal-light holes and you need to pull the scope away a bit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 7:42:36 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
The only way I can imagine you get a reflection off the table :) is if you have your eye well away from the ideal-scope and you have the beginner model - is this so?
When your eye is close up it makes the lens go blacker.

Different people will focus at different positions - so some need to hold the scope closer or further away by small amounts.

Bigger stones sit higher in the ideal-light holes and you need to pull the scope away a bit
I do have the expert model, but you may be on to something - I think it goes away when I place the scope entirely on the light box, and then shows up when I pull the scope back from the box (with my eye slightly away from the scope and lights turned on in the room causing more ambient light to enter) to focus. I am going to try getting some red construction paper and extend my IS a little longer to prevent the ambient light thing, along with putting my eye completely on the scope!

I really like the light box - it really makes using the IS much easier, it is really nice to have the little groove to hold the stone, and it is great to have another groove for the CZ right next to it!
36.gif

Thanks, Lisa

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the older model expert IS and in some lighting I need to block the light from entering between my eye and the IS or I get reflections off the lens of the IS itself and or my glasses that make the images look funky.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2006 2:33:26 PM
Author: strmrdr
I have the older model expert IS and in some lighting I need to block the light from entering between my eye and the IS or I get reflections off the lens of the IS itself and or my glasses that make the images look funky.
Like the bottom image here storm?
http://ideal-scope.com/using_howto.asp

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 3:18:06 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 12/15/2006 2:33:26 PM
Author: strmrdr
Like the bottom image here storm?
http://ideal-scope.com/using_howto.asp
Iv seen it look like that usualy when not using the ideal-light but more random looking too.
The ideal-light really helps eliminate lighting problems but can still get the reflections from time to time.
Blocking the light clears it up.

Brilliant_Rock
Eureka! I realized that when I use a microscope I keep my eyes a slight distance from the eyepieces, and was treating the IS like a microscope. When I put my eyes all the way up to the eyepiece (blocking out as much ambient light as possible), it gets rid of the reflection (yes, it was similar to the links to photos you posted) - I don''t wear glasses like Storm, but I think we must have seen the same thing. Important to keep eye close to the black top instead of at a slight distance. Lessons learned! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results