shape
carat
color
clarity

Table % of an emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hello!

One quick question: How does a larger "table" on Emerald cut diamond affect it's over-all quality? Let's say 70% vs. its recommended 60-65% range?

Thanks! GiGi
:))

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GiGi, it depends on other proportions. Emerald with larger table can still be very pleasant. Unfortunately, there is no single recipe.

You or your vendor or appraiser should eyeball the stones to make the final decision.

Brian Gavin from Alpha/Whiteflash sent me these pictures a while ago. It is an example of very nice emerald stone that is only 3A class with table about 70%.

As you can see on idealscope picture, there is very little light leakage for emerald cut stone.

201Gvs2.jpg

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your quick reply. I like the picture of your dog, by the way.

Do you think the following find is a good deal, and the stone will look very nice in person?

emerlad-cut, 14K diamond ring for $5,200.
Its\' spec.: 6.87*5.10*3.45; 1.10 Carats; Depth 67.6%; Table 69%; Med. to Sligh Thick Gridle, and no Culet.

Color G, Calrity VS1,and good polish and symmerty.

Is the quoted price: fair, good, or excellent?
:bigsmile:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Excellent

What about grading report for this diamond? GIA or EGL?

GiGi

Rough_Rock
It says IGI. Does that mean it is GIA? Do you think I can find a better cut/color stone less than $5000?

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
NO! IGI does not mean GIA. IGI means "it's graded incorrectly". Just kidding. I don't mean to knock IGI. I'm sure they have very competent graders, but I have just heard too many stories of diamonds graded by IGI that are examined by an appraiser or re-graded by GIA and come back with different (lower) grades. I think for consistency, GIA and AGS are more respected by most individuals although everyone has their own opinion. Especially if you're buying online, I would try to stick with GIA or AGS reports to be reasonably sure you are getting what is being represented.

Just this consumer's opinion.

E

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Emrldforher.

You better check the grading with independent appraiser before making finalizing the purchase.

IGI grading can be the reason of the low price.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
So how do I get GIA certification? How much does it cost? If the grading stands, is it a great buy?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You can ask your vendor to send the stone to GIA or AGS on the following conditions:

1. If the gradings will be confirmed or better, you'll buy the stone and pay for GIA (or AGS) grading. It can be $150-$200 but still very good deal.

2. If the stone comes back with lower gradings, you do not have to buy it or pay for certification. You just might want to renegotiate the price based on the new grading numbers.

Alternatively, you should be able to check the stone with independent (who doesn't sell) appraiser and return the stone if the grades won't be confirmed.

Just discuss these issues with your vendor and see his/her reaction.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Do you think the following is a better buy for around $5,000? It is EGL certified.

1.00ct F VS1 Emerald Diamond
Certificate EGL
Depth 69.4%
Table 75%
4.81 x 7.16 x 3.34 mm

Girdle: Medium (problem?)
Finish: VG

Hpow does this stone compare to the 1.1 ct. I mentioned before?

Thanks folks!:wavey:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GiGi, i just ran a search for 1.0-F-VS1 Emerald on Pricescope and got several similar stones with GIA grading reports for about $4,000.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the stone itself is 4000, but setting it on the 14K gold ring (with accent diamonds) will maket it about 5000.

What concerns me is the high depth% and table %. Will these numbers make this stone less attractive? How does it compare to the previous 1.10 catot?

Thank you! GiGi

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
GiGi,

Just saw your question about the girdle. Actually, medium is preferred. What you really want to avoid is a diamond with a report that says something like extremely thin to thick. That means that the girdle ranges from extremely thin in some places to thick in others. Extremely thin girdles may be harder to mount and prone to chip. The thicker girdles mean that more of the diamonds weight is carried in the there, which is not a good thing.

Just some more thoughts.

E

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hi E.

Both of them have medium girdle. Do you think one stone will be prettier than the other? I understand 1.1 ct has a better cut than 1 ct.. However, is the 1.1 ct. worth $500 more than the 1.0ct?

Thanks in advance!
GiGi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results