shape
carat
color
clarity

Table & Depth: What is good for a cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandonman22

Rough_Rock

Table & Depth: What is good for a cushion?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to look at the individual stones. Cushions cannot be picked by looking at numbers like rounds can.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cushions are the worst for parametric screening, BUT you can use this as decent advice. Depth 70% or less gives you a reasonable visual size for weight result. You may choose a deeper one, but the visual penalty is built in. A table not exceeding 63% gives you the best chance for good dispersion, fire, in the crown facets. Avoiding very thick girdles or extremely thin ones also is good advice.

From there, it is up to you.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually the 3 varying cushions in the other thread that I posted pictures in all have comparable total depth/table measurements as well as comparable polish/symmetry gradings. All 3 have completely different appearances within the realm of cushions. Good tips though Dave but not a hard fast rule.

Angara

Rough_Rock

Cushions are soft-cornered stone shapes that have a wide interpretation. Some are short and thick like a cushion, some almost square and some rectangle in shape. There are cushion-cut stones that look very close to the old miner cut, some with vintage style "fat facets" and open culets (pronounced Q-lets) and still more with that crushed ice look. I think they are among the most difficult to judge or even imagine without a picture because of the immense variety of cut interpretations.

Cushion-cut stones are classic and they are the hybrid of square/rectangle and oval/round. Unlike other diamond shapes, you won't find information on crown angles, light return, recommended depth percentages or sparkle meter power. It either works for you, or it doesn't. It is a matter of aesthetic appeal and personal preference.

When talking of a cushion diamond, Sometimes a high crown and a small table is very appealing, sometimes facet pattern sets the stone apart. For cushion diamonds carat weight is also not always the best criteria for selection, each piece has its unique beauty. As someone has rightly said that diamonds are like snowflakes; no two diamonds are exactly alike. And quite frankly, that is the beauty of a diamond.

More images posted for comparision.

image015.jpg

Angara

Rough_Rock
The images cannot be uploaded. Some technical problem. Sorry.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I definitely hoped to make it clear that the numbers I provided are screening advice and not hard and fast rules. Cushions are the most elusive shape to define by parameters because they have so many variations in what looks acceptable or beautiful This is why I never published any Cut Class parameters for Cushion shapes. I felt this was a shape that was the most challenging or the most varied.

Finding a beautiful diamond among the many always being offered for sale represents a large task for a consumer. If you are shopping in person and examining the diamond with your own eyes, you may find a cushion which you think meets all your criteria that would not pass my suggested screening ranges. However, if you are shopping for a diamond sight unseen, then you can save time and shipping costs by using some parametric limits when possible. If a vendor tells you they have a very worthy diamond which you might have rejected, always consider trusting them enough to take a look for yourself.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 1:25:20 PM
Author: brandonman22
How about the diamond below, what do you think of it?

1.25 Carat F-VS1 Premium

can you get pics and an aset? numbers just really don''t mean anything with cushions, although personally i have found to prefer stones where the table % is smaller than the depth. the table on the stone above is on the large size for me. But again, pics and vendor eyes plus your own are really the only way to judge a cushion. my suggestion would be to contact Mark T at engagementringsdirect with your budget and what type of cushion you are looking for. antique (chuncky facets) or more modern. I see you also mentioned the novo in your other thread which in that case the square H&A stones from Goodoldgold are as close as you''ll get. they are branded though and will cost a bit more than an un-branded cushion, but will show the arrows like the novo does.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results