shape
carat
color
clarity

Synthetic or Natural star sapphire?

Are the diamonds natural? What is the metal? That can assist in an educated guess as to whether the sapphire is natural or synthetic. I truly cannot tell by the vid/pix alone. I think you may need a lab to examine it to be certain. But speaking to a local G.G. would be a good start. Anyway, it sure is pretty!!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are the diamonds natural? What is the metal? That can assist in an educated guess as to whether the sapphire is natural or synthetic. I truly cannot tell by the vid/pix alone. I think you may need a lab to examine it to be certain. But speaking to a local G.G. would be a good start. Anyway, it sure is pretty!!

Very good questions! The ring is platinum and stones are diamonds. I am told it's an estate piece. The store said they will get an insurance appraisal for it.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
The synthetic blue star sapphires I have seen (in pictures only) have had a more saturated blue body colour and a brighter star. Also, the body colour of this one seems to have a slight purple tinge (though this may be an artifact of the photography), which you would not expect in a synthetic.

Against that, the body seems remarkably clean and uniform.

My guess is that it's probably natural. But the right answer is that you should get a lab report.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we could see a straight on side shots, it would be easier to tell. Linde stones are made in a distinct cabochon shape, with a medium dome and a flat bottom. Genuine star sapphires tend to have beveled sides leading down to a flat bottom, which I think I can see in the photo.
But the nice diamonds and platinum metal are a good clue that it is natural.

Last edited:

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I’d say natural. Synthetics usually have incredibly even stars. This one has uneven points that don’t extend to the edges of the stone, which makes me think it’s natural. Of course, it’s hard to guess without seeing it in person.
Pretty ring!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks gang! Ya...I have had my eye on this ring for quite awhile.... The picture and video and the info I provided on this thread is all I have to go by.

The seller is sending it out for an appraisal. Hopefully it comes back as natural!

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
The synthetic blue star sapphires I have seen (in pictures only) have had a more saturated blue body colour and a brighter star. Also, the body colour of this one seems to have a slight purple tinge (though this may be an artifact of the photography), which you would not expect in a synthetic.

Against that, the body seems remarkably clean and uniform.

My guess is that it's probably natural. But the right answer is that you should get a lab report.

Agreed! I would lean towards natural.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results