shape
carat
color
clarity

Syncing IPod to a NEW ITunes Library?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
My fiance recently re-installed Windows on my laptop as it was acting like it hated me...

With that means that when I re-installed ITunes, it doesn''t recognize my IPod, and doesn''t have my library. I saved it all on CD''s (yeah, that was fun) so I could upload ALL the music again (ugh)... forgot the playlists!! but I''m wondering if there is a QUICKER, smarter way!

I understand the point of only allowing an IPod to sync to one library is to help with copyright issues, but don''t people occassionally have to reinstall Windows, or upgrade to the newest version of ITunes?

Someone saavy help! Please : ) THANKS!

Aurelia

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your Windows problem. The only way that I know is to just put all the songs into your library again and once you are done, plug your ipod in and it will put all the songs on there. If I were you though, I would call the help line at Apple... that way you wouldn''t have to go to unneccesary measures.

*M*

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a solution for your NOW situation, but I do have an idea/solution to prevent this from happening again!

It''s basically as if you take all your files, you condense them into little a little "folder" and save it on your ipod.
SO that if this ever happens, you can plug in your ipod- open up the folder and export it to your PC!

again, this would have been OH so much more helpful before the need of it happening ! but I guess getting it ready for next time is good!

1) click on Advanced
2) click on Consolidate Library
3) it will bring the files on a folder,
4) take this foler and place it on your ipod (go on my computer - and place the folder that you had all your music on in the ipod)
this will mean, if you ever open your ipod on any computers - you can manually go into this folder from the ipod and place it on the computer!

Sorry so long, hope this is of any help!
Good luck!

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for your help! Sparkly Stars... you''re a lifesaver... for NEXT time
9.gif
Actaully, my fiance is about to hit his computer with Vista, so this will be oober-useful.... SWEET! He says THANK YOU!!

Thanks,
Aurelia

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Glad I could be of some help!
I wish this was better known!
My friend who had over 1500 songs got a virus just the other day and will also have to manually place the songs back on. She says "good, it''ll let me sort the songs for what I really want"
but really, this is still tragic. I know for myself, I''ve invested at least 4-5 hours if not more uploading and sorting libraries!
SO! In the future, you''ll have it allllll organized!
If we have any other ipod users- please consider this! haha. save yourself time! :)
and of course frustrations! :)

Best of luck!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But this only works if you have enough room on your iPod to fit your library on there twice. This wouldn''t be possible for me.

The newest version of iTunes makes back up pretty simple. I use the "Back Up to Disc" found in the File menu of iTunes. You have a choice of backing up entire library and playlists, just stuff purchased from iTunes, or just stuff added since last backup. The first backup takes a long time (and possibly a lot of discs) but after that you can periodically backup and check the last option. Also, you can now transfer songs on your iPod back into iTunes if they were purchased from iTunes.

I have a mini that I bought in 2004 that still works well but who knows how long it will last. I wouldn''t trust that files backed up to the iPod itself will still be there any more than a hard drive on your PC is going to last forever!

I <3 Diamonds

Rough_Rock
I know I''m a bit late, but you could download a program called iPodrip (I think..google it and see what comes up) It allows you to recover all the music from your iPod and get it back on your computer. I just got a Macbook and didn''t have any music on it, so I dl''ed ipodrip and got all of it from my iPod to my computer with no problems.

HTH.

-Lauren

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results