shape
carat
color
clarity

symmetry & polish for fancies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bill D.

Rough_Rock
I was looking at bluenile''s page and noticed that most GIA reports for fancies are between g/g and vg/vg for fancies. For rounds they are ex/ex. This is kind of puzzling.

How is the symmetry grade for fancy shaped diamonds like the princess and the flanders determined (what would make a princess have excellent symmetry)? How is the polish rating related to shape?

Hi Bill D.

The cutters will not make EX EX fancies until the market demands it. You are lucky to find a VG VG fancy.
A few years back, it was difficult to find a good selection of round EX EX. Now they are more plentiful.

Thanks for the information. So I assume that cutters tend produce g/g cuts to preserve weight and maximize profit and if the rough is such that better symmetry/polish can be achieved so be it.

From a practical perspective, can someone quantify what determines excellent symmetry, which deviations downgrade it and what is their relative magnitude? I could only find similar information for rounds.

Be advised that you CAN tell the differences between a 'good' symmetry emerald or heart and a 'very good' or 'excellent'...

An Excellent rating implies negligible to minor symmetry characteristics as well as negligible polish marks. It's quite difficult to find an Ex/Ex...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP