shape
carat
color
clarity

Symmetry grade of AGS 0 vs AGS 1

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking at a stone which has an AGS 1 symmetry grade, but everything else fits what I am looking for. I am wanting a stone with lots of great optics and fire so I am wondering if having an AGS 1 would noticeably hinder that? In other words, I just have no idea if an AGS 0 symmetry grade is significantly different than an AGS 1 symmetry grade.

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much @Garry H (Cut Nut) ! I appreciate the input. Sounds like I might be okay to order the stone and see it in person :)

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
That is a good idea. Thank you :)
Is this for a round brilliant or another shape?

Regardless: If the AGS report is a format that assesses light performance it could have a CGI ASET imprinted on the report.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Is this for a round brilliant or another shape?

Regardless: If the AGS report is a format that assesses light performance it could have a CGI ASET imprinted on the report.

It is on a August Vintage OEC round. The report doesn’t have the ASET unfortunately.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
It is on a August Vintage OEC round. The report doesn’t have the ASET unfortunately.

Are you considering a second hand stone? From memory the ding on AGS 1 vs 0 for AVRs is typically for contrast and girdle not symmetry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is this from Distinctive Gems? Jonathan can do idealscopes/asets. If it is pre-loved , asked the owner if they
have the images. They may have received them previously from DG.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Are you considering a second hand stone? From memory the ding on AGS 1 vs 0 for AVRs is typically for contrast and girdle not s
Thank you for your input. It is a stone from Distinctive Gems directly. It was out of the country though so I hadn’t asked for the idealscope yet. I will send an email though and see if it is possible. I ended up ordering the stone to see in person as well. Here is the link:

I am hoping the excellent ags1 (instead of ideal ags0) symmetry grade won’t make much of a difference but want to understand what the difference may be. :)

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Is this from Distinctive Gems? Jonathan can do idealscopes/asets. If it is pre-loved , asked the owner if they
have the images. They may have received them previously from DG.

Thank you for your input. It is a stone from Distinctive Gems directly. It was out of the country though so I hadn’t asked for the idealscope yet. I will send an email though and see if it is possible. I ended up ordering the stone to see in person as well. Here is the link:

I am hoping the excellent ags1 (instead of ideal ags0) symmetry grade won’t make much of a difference but want to understand what the difference may be. :)

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Oops I’m sorry. I accidentally posted that twice.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
There will be no naked eye difference between 0 and 1 in symmetry.

Symmetry is a judgment of the evenness and consistency of a diamond’s surface outline and facet details - traditionally analyzed at 10X magnification, now aided by 3D scanning. Essentially, an examination to see whether minute facet junctions meet equally - all lines are clean and there is no misalignment - and a look at the crown in relation to the pavilion, making certain all of the main facets are aligned.

A GIA study concluded that there is negligible visible difference between EX and VG in symmetry and polish. They found experts who could sometimes detect symmetry penalties in diamonds receiving Good or lower but none could see them at VG+.

The AGS 0 grade is stricter than GIA EX. In fact the AGS 0 finish (polish/symmetry) evaluation makes some diamond cutters grumpy because there are rough crystals incapable of taking the adamantine polish needed to earn that 0 finish grade at AGS.

Simply put: AGS 1 symmetry is similar to VVS1 clarity, an invisible tick away from flawless that's interesting to know about - but will not be detectable without high magnification.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
There will be no naked eye difference between 0 and 1 in symmetry.

Symmetry is a judgment of the evenness and consistency of a diamond’s surface outline and facet details - traditionally analyzed at 10X magnification, now aided by 3D scanning. Essentially, an examination to see whether minute facet junctions meet equally - all lines are clean and there is no misalignment - and a look at the crown in relation to the pavilion, making certain all of the main facets are aligned.

A GIA study concluded that there is negligible visible difference between EX and VG in symmetry and polish. They found experts who could sometimes detect symmetry penalties in diamonds receiving Good or lower but none could see them at VG+.

The AGS 0 grade is stricter than GIA EX. In fact the AGS 0 finish (polish/symmetry) evaluation makes some diamond cutters grumpy because there are rough crystals incapable of taking the adamantine polish needed to earn that 0 finish grade at AGS.

Simply put: AGS 1 symmetry is similar to VVS1 clarity, an invisible tick away from flawless that's interesting to know about - but will not be detectable without high magnification.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge about this. I really appreciate your time and experience! Glad to hear it won’t impact the look or performance of the diamond in a detectable way by our eyes.
:)

I really like the comparison you made between the vvs1 clarity and AGS 1 symmetry. Makes it easy for me to understand.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.
I just wanted to follow up with the aset images in case people wanted to see. :)
D37018E8-7D4E-4571-82B8-873272DF3064.jpeg FA92EFD2-11EB-42B9-9347-8C0E1753FF02.jpeg CE5CD297-D3CC-4F2E-AE72-2048E78B319E.jpeg

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone.
I just wanted to follow up with the aset images in case people wanted to see. :)
D37018E8-7D4E-4571-82B8-873272DF3064.jpeg FA92EFD2-11EB-42B9-9347-8C0E1753FF02.jpeg CE5CD297-D3CC-4F2E-AE72-2048E78B319E.jpeg

These look good! What does Jonathan have to say about them? He's got a good eye for nice stones. I would trust and value his input.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
These look good! What does Jonathan have to say about them? He's got a good eye for nice stones. I would trust and value his input.

Thank you for your reply! When I asked what Jonathan thought about the stone he said "perfection" haha.

I got it in, I really like it so far. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help in this process :) unnamed (2).jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results