shape
carat
color
clarity

Sydney Jeweller to resize Platinum ring?

wahoo84

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I'm located in Sydney Australia and purchased a ring from Brian Gavin over in the states recently.

Successfully proposed to my fiancé recently :) but the ring seems to be 0.25-0.5US sizes too large so was thinking of having it downsized.

Do you guys think I should post the ring back to Brian Gavin in the US to have it resized?

Or can you recommend someone reputable to have the ring resized in Sydney?

Do you think we should bother with resizing the ring at all actually? Chances are when my missus has a child she may bloat a bit and the ring may become snug. But during winter her finger shrinks a bit and she can literally fling the ring off!

Your thoughts people?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Not everyone's fingers swell when they have a baby ;-)

Dana Ball is in the Trust building, corner of King and Castlereagh. It's above where the Westpac used to be. He is only by appointment: (02) 9231 6939. He has made most of my jewellery. It's not a cheap option but he is very good. Worth a call if it means avoiding the hassle of sending it back.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
misskittycat! does Dana have a website or do you have photos of the work that he done? can he do tiny claw prongs?

I need to have my diamond unset and weighed for insurance but don't want to disturb the tiny claw prongs it has at the moment.

The address you mention is that for a shop with his work on display or is that his bench?

eta: yes i would look into getting the ring resized. it sounds like it is too big!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
No, no website! He is old school. He works with his Dad Gary and they have a bench in the buiding. No retail outlet. The vast majority of his work is on commission. He has just finished resetting my 4ct OEC which I will pick up tomorrow. It has tiny double claw prongs. I wasn't going to post any photos until it is finished (it went back for some cosmetic work on the pave last week) but you can see the prongs here:

It's not the best picture I have but It shows the prongs ok. Are you insured through Q Report?

img_4145.jpg

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
its beautiful!!

I have a 3.50 M in a temp setting. I am insured with Q report, they seemed to have the most comprehensive coverage. I bought my diamond from OWD and the GIA report says 3.50 but i had adam open the culet a tiny bit. he reckons it probably went down to 3.49 or at worst 3.48. But i had to get an appraisal for insurance and the appraiser estimated the weight at 3.37 (despite my objections) and Q report used that number for my insurance. so at some point i need to have someone unset the stone, weigh it and reset it. I haven't done it so far cos prongs in aus tend to be big blobs

I live on the sunshine coast but will be in sydney during may so i might ask to come in and have a look at some of his work.

I will keep and eye out for your official SMTB thread to see more pics but the ring and your stone look gorgeous!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Response to the OP: If it's too loose, she may be at risk of losing it, especially in cold weather. Or, it might be just a bit annoying because it spins.

But rather than cut and resize it for that little, see if a local jeweler can solder sizing beads or some sort of shim on the inside, just enough to snug it up. Those would be removable later if necessary. In my experience, a ring that's been sized is always weak at the bottom where it's been cut and soldered. I'd try to shim it up from the inside, personally.

wahoo84

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that idea!

But will it compromise the style of the ring much? Do most jewellers do it?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, you don't want her new ring to fall off by accident and loose it!

You could purchase something like this as a temporary solution until you decide what to do:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RING-NOODLE-Ring-Guard-Ring-Size-Reducer-Set-of-3-MINI-less-reduction-/200955609945?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item2ec9e34359

There's also this great thread about using hot glue as temporary sizing beads:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-beads-made-from-a-glue-gun.197711/#post-3615369#p3615369']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-beads-made-from-a-glue-gun.197711/#post-3615369#p3615369[/URL]

Make sure whoever you choose to have the ring sized works with platinum. I had my platinum ring sized locally and they used 14K white gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results