shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Switching rings after engagement

Discussion in 'Proposal Ideas' started by Joel21, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Joel21
    Rough_Rock

by Joel21 » Nov 18, 2016
    If you can't get the perfect ring before the engagement for, whatever reason, is it alright to use any old ring and then swap them afterwards?

2. Ariadne_Theia
    Shiny_Rock

by Ariadne_Theia » Nov 18, 2016
    I think that's totally fine. Especially if it means she gets to put in her input.
    However, you might want to go for a non-engagement looking ring and make it clear when you propose that's it a placeholder for when you buy one together.

If it is a ring she'll be wearing for a long time before you get the "real" one, make sure you take her taste into consideration and pick something she wouldn't mind wearing.

Just my opinion, of course.

windblownhair likes this.
  3. Joel21
    Rough_Rock

by Joel21 » Nov 20, 2016
    You are totally right. It would make good sense to get an ordinary ring and then have her pick out something that she actually loves for the permanent one. Thanks for the advice.

4. ellefanningxp
    Rough_Rock

by ellefanningxp » Mar 3, 2017
    Wow i like the ring concept and image too

5. Kbell
    Shiny_Rock

by Kbell » Mar 3, 2017
    It can still be an extraordinary ring because it's coming from you to her :) If it's going to be for the short term - Maybe a really nice stackable style band so she could keep that & wear it with her final ring set if & when she wanted to.

6. MattP725
    Rough_Rock

by MattP725 » May 3, 2017
    My only concern with using an "ordinary" ring is do you really want to explain mid proposal why you got her something that doesn't appear to be an e-ring? I would think it might be a better idea to get something that could PASS as an e-ring during the proposal so the "magic" is there. Then you can explain after the moment has passed.

Maybe something along these lines?

https://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-W...fccid=QJFH3N4YXZI23ZCPZ4NAQRQRQM&searchidx=17

7. cmd2014
    Brilliant_Rock

by cmd2014 » May 4, 2017
    I'd be more inclined to get something that is clearly NOT an engagement ring, just to avoid any confusion (you'd hate for her to be sad because she thought she was getting a 2 ct ring, only to realize that it's faux...). You can let her know when proposing that this obviously isn't the real ring, but that you'd love to get her something that fits your relationship if she would do you the honor...

ETA: and I like the idea of a small band that she can wear later as a stacking ring. That way it can keep its sentimental value and be worn.

8. Elsafiancee
    Rough_Rock

by Elsafiancee » Jul 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM
    Fwiw, that's what my husband did, he proposed with a small tiffanys band, and then we went to pick my ering together, I'll give the band to my daughter when she's older, but until then we had it engraved with the time and place when he proposed