shape
carat
color
clarity

Switching diamond in tension setting?

spongle

Rough_Rock
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Im wondering if it is possible to just switch a stone of like size on a tension setting wedding band. I've read a lot about them needing to be specifically customized to a finger size but not much on the stone.

For example I would like to take something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Tension-Silver-Sapphire-Sizing/dp/B002QGCMIE/ref=sr_1_4?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1319133453&sr=1-4

and place a diamond in its place. Would it be a simple as getting some tools and forcing it open for a split second during the swap?

Im having a hard time finding anything about it on the web, thanks for help in advance.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately no, a true tension setting exerts a huge amount of PSI possibly around 30000-50000 PSI and highly doubt you can just pull it apart with simple tools. You need to go directly back to the manufacturer to put the replacement stone otherwise, you could end up damaging your stone if too much force is exerted or not enough, then you'd loose your stone evenutally. Although I think its one of the safest type setting, it also is one of the risky to try and do something different than that it came with unless you go with a skilled tension setting company directly and have them assess the possible replacement stone.

spongle

Rough_Rock
D&T|1319134887|3044298 said:
unfortunately no, a true tension setting exerts a huge amount of PSI possibly around 30000-50000 PSI and highly doubt you can just pull it apart with simple tools. You need to go directly back to the manufacturer to put the replacement stone otherwise, you could end up damaging your stone if too much force is exerted or not enough, then you'd loose your stone evenutally. Although I think its one of the safest type setting, it also is one of the risky to try and do something different than that it came with unless you go with a skilled tension setting company directly and have them assess the possible replacement stone.

Thats what I figured but the stone they used in this is a white sapphire. In a true tension setting the stone has to be a diamond, ruby or emerald I believe to withstand the force, so that leaves me to believe the the tension in this is far less. I would be swapping it with a low grade relatively cheap 30-50 dollar purple diamond off ebay. Its meant to be a simple right hand ring, nothing special so a loss or failure wouldnt be that big of a deal

EDIT- never mind sapphire was the third. I think I may give it a go anyways, see what happens. Fear are the low grade diamond will explode or I just wont be able to get it apart. Will update on what happens

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
spongle|1319136700|3044321 said:
D&T|1319134887|3044298 said:

Thats what I figured but the stone they used in this is a white sapphire. In a true tension setting the stone has to be a diamond, ruby or emerald I believe to withstand the force, so that leaves me to believe the the tension in this is far less. I would be swapping it with a low grade relatively cheap 30-50 dollar purple diamond off ebay. Its meant to be a simple right hand ring, nothing special so a loss or failure wouldnt be that big of a deal

EDIT- never mind sapphire was the third. I think I may give it a go anyways, see what happens. Fear are the low grade diamond will explode or I just wont be able to get it apart. Will update on what happens

Ruby and sapphire are the same composition - only a ruby is red.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it would work. Once you pull the setting apart it won't spring back to the same shape. It will be bent and wonky and the stone will surely come loose. I think you're better off finding a tension ring with a stone you like better, or find another setting with a purple amethyst or something. Even if it's inexpensive, if it won't work it's a waste of time and money!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results