shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

"Sweet Home" Rhodochrosite

Discussion in 'Colored Stones' started by shinyrocks, Oct 12, 2017.

1. shinyrocks
    Rough_Rock

by shinyrocks » Oct 12, 2017
    Does anyone know of a good source for rhodochrosite from the famed "Sweet Home" mine? I am looking for a nice faceted (well-cut) example to add to my collection and haven't had much luck. :(2

Thanks!

2. elle_71125
    Brilliant_Rock

3. SparkliesLuver
    Ideal_Rock

elle_71125 likes this.
  4. elle_71125
    Brilliant_Rock

by elle_71125 » Oct 12, 2017
    @SparkliesLuver I was just looking through his site last night because @StephanieLynn posted that he was having a sale. Of course, my eyes dropped to this guy immediately because that color is gorgeous...then I read the price tag.:confused2:

I'm just left wondering when my tastes became so expensive. :cry:

Rhodoschrosite.jpg

StephanieLynn and SparkliesLuver like this.
  5. SparkliesLuver
    Ideal_Rock

by SparkliesLuver » Oct 12, 2017
    hahahahahahaha I feel your pain, Elle. ;-)

elle_71125 likes this.
  6. shinyrocks
    Rough_Rock

by shinyrocks » Oct 12, 2017
    Ooooo. Thanks guys! I saw the ones on the Gem Trader's site but was hoping for something larger. The color is to die for though! That 1+ ct. oval in particular. Whoa! Brett has some monster pieces. Very nice, but the ones I might like are WAY out of budget. I checked with Jeff White (my personal fave precision cutter), and he does have some African material but nothing from Sweet Home. Thanks for the great suggestions so far! I might reach out to the Gem Trader to see if they expect any larger pieces in the near future, since the color and cutting of those is quite nice.

elle_71125 likes this.
  7. chatoyancy
    Shiny_Rock

by chatoyancy » Oct 12, 2017
    There is one on djrararegems.com. They are on the recommended vendor list. It’s 2 carats.

8. chatoyancy
    Shiny_Rock

by chatoyancy » Oct 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Did you find one? How is your quest going?

9. shinyrocks
    Rough_Rock

by shinyrocks » Oct 14, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    Thanks for checking! Still on the hunt. Thanks for the reference to DJRaregems. I love the color of that 2 ct. but am not crazy about the cut. I think I'm leaning toward a cushion or oval. The one right above that 2 ct. piece is a great size, and I lovely the pillowy shape, but it is pretty badly windowed.

I'll keep you guys posted if I find anything. You've been super helpful so far!

10. chatoyancy
    Shiny_Rock

by chatoyancy » Oct 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    Definitely keep us posted! I’d love to see what you find. We don’t see many transparent rhodochrosites on here. If you find something that’s “almost right” on a website, you should definitely contact the vendor to see if they have what you want, but haven't put it on their website.

11. T L
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by T L » Oct 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    If you're buying to keep in a gem box, that's fine. If setting in jewelry, be careful as it's a softer stone.