shape
carat
color
clarity

Swedish gold, what would you call this color gold?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
One thing that has me stumped when talking about jewelry with non-swedes is what do I call our version of yellow gold? A direct translation gives red gold but I think that means something else in English. Here we have rött guld which is 18kt and somewhere between rose gold and yellow gold in tone, and we have vitt guld which is just a normal 18kt non nickel white gold.

I feel wrong saying yellow gold since it is not the same thing, in photos you usually don't see the difference but in real life if is quite obvious. In fact when me and my fiancee were looking at jewlerry in Spain he could not believe that it was real gold, his response was But, it's so yellow! :shock:

Hopefully now a photo will be attached showing the difference, the first ring is what we call red gold.

Well members of Pricescope, what should I call that color of gold? And ain't it puurtier then normal yellow gold? :wink2:

gold color.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo, dunno what to call it except BEAUTIFUL!! I would love that color to set a mahenge spinel!! I wonder if there is any way to buy a chunk of that and have a fabricator use that for creating a mount?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1315074291|3009104 said:
Ooooo, dunno what to call it except BEAUTIFUL!! I would love that color to set a mahenge spinel!! I wonder if there is any way to buy a chunk of that and have a fabricator use that for creating a mount?

That would be amazing :love: ! Red gold would be perfect for one of your stunning mahenges. It should not be a problem to get this type of gold, every goldsmith and producer in Sweden uses it. I think I have actually seen the "recipe" somewhere. Gonna go check, now I am curious.

Does your yellow gold not contain any copper?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
natascha|1315075094|3009115 said:
Upgradable|1315074291|3009104 said:

That would be amazing :love: ! Red gold would be perfect for one of your stunning mahenges. It should not be a problem to get this type of gold, every goldsmith and producer in Sweden uses it. I think I have actually seen the "recipe" somewhere. Gonna go check, now I am curious.

Does your yellow gold not contain any copper?
Apparently the alloy is supposed to be 75% gold, 16-17% copper and 8-9% silver.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would want something as red as your Roseguld, but the Rott guld would be amazing!

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
This is funny! The alloy you call Roettgold is called rosegold here in Germany and your rosegold looks more like our redgold :confused: i think i found pink gold as translation for that alloy once...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't know but it looks like gold gold

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely a copper feel to that color gold.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
To me the first one looks like 18k rose gold and the last looks like 14k or lower rose gold so I think it's a rose gold with a high karat. It looks similar to my engagement ring which is 18k rose gold -I asked for it to be very soft and creamy in colour. It's impossible to photograph the colour but this is quite close on my monitor:

IMG_2037.jpg

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1315077622|3009141 said:
I don't think I would want something as red as your Roseguld, but the Rott guld would be amazing!

Incredibly that alloy is for rött guld. Over here you actually don't see rose and yellow gold, it's only rött and white gold. I think the reason as to why we use that much copper in our gold is that we have copper mines, there are some amazing roofs in this country that are entirerly made out of copper. After a while that oxidizes to a stunning light green color. It's amazing http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koppartak .

Cabochon said:
This is funny! The alloy you call Roettgold is called rosegold here in Germany and your rosegold looks more like our redgold :confused: i think i found pink gold as translation for that alloy once...
:lol: That's great to know. Imagine the confusion that that would create if a Swede ordered red gold in Germany.

centralsquare said:
I don't know but it looks like gold gold
Exactly! It looks like gold, not rose gold and not the type of yellow gold you find in southern Europe, Asia, etc. I really want to visit the US and see what you guys mean when you say yellow gold. From pictures it looks more yellow than ours but not as yellow as the gold in China, Thailand, etc. Am I right?

Amys Bling said:
Definitely a copper feel to that color gold.
We like our copper :naughty:

JuneRose said:
To me the first one looks like 18k rose gold and the last looks like 14k or lower rose gold so I think it's a rose gold with a high karat. It looks similar to my engagement ring which is 18k rose gold -I asked for it to be very soft and creamy in colour. It's impossible to photograph the colour but this is quite close on my monitor:

That looks amazing! It looks so luscious!

It does look like what I consider rose gold, rött guld actually looks very golden but not yellow. All of the four rings are 18kt gold, you practically never find 14kt gold in Sweden. I have personally never seen anything not second hand in 14kt gold here. It is usually 18kt gold or nothing over here, some older jewelry is in 23kt or 21kt, but it does not really hold up as well as 18kt.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at a gorgeous ring here in the US, and when I said it was yellow gold and white gold, the jeweler corrected me and said it was red gold and white gold. I said it didn't look like rose gold to me, and she said, "no, RED gold!" Apparently it is between yellow gold and rose gold (though it looks more like a less yellow version of yellow gold to me...) and does have copper in the alloy.

http://studiojewelerswi.com/Featured%20Artists/Stephen%20Vincent/files/page16-1031-full.html

http://studiojewelerswi.com/Featured%20Artists/Stephen%20Vincent/files/page16-1032-full.html

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Its beautiful!!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Could it be peach gold?
20kPeachGoldColour_1.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, who knew there were so many shades of gold??? Makes sense since there are so many possibilities, but I've never seen them before. I LIKE!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't help you with your question but that first ring's color is my dream color and I'm keeping a pic of this! love that color!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
shimmer|1315111792|3009448 said:
Could it be peach gold?
20kPeachGoldColour_1.jpg

Cool picture-where's it from? I like a lot of the rings in those stacks!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Green gold and purple gold also exist, but unfortunately I have no photos

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm...don't get carried away by the labels put on the gold by an individual or company. No one has determined a standard for what is "red" or "rose" or "peach" or "apricot". Each company (or country) decides on what it wants to call colors (obviously...or we wouldn't be having this talk).

Don't listen to experts.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JuneRose|1315085997|3009259 said:

Remember that we use many, many alloys of gold in the United States. I don't know if that is the case in Sweden. Here there is no one color for rose gold (for example). Just today I was reading about the alloy used in the 14K gold QVC uses to make its ball stud earrings, (of which I think I own a pair). One of the metals in the alloy may make the gold magnetic. It surely changes the rose color. One of my friends saw the color of my earrings and instantly remarked on it, saying that she usually doesn't like rose gold, "but"....

The amount of red color in red/pink/rose gold does not determine whether it is higher or lower karat gold. That is determined by the amount of gold as opposed to other metal in the alloy. What determines the amount of red is the amount of copper in the mixture! You can have a low karat rose gold that is not very red if the copper content is not high, but the other non-gold metals in the mix are high!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shimmer|1315111792|3009448 said:
Could it be peach gold?
20kPeachGoldColour_1.jpg

Somebody should have been prohibited from posting this photo. (Although I have seen it before, I had forgotten it!). I have now written to the goshdarned company and inquired about having a "peach" or "apricot" gold Newfoundland charm made for my charm bracelet and I haven't even figured out how I am going to pay Jonathan for all the things I have been asking him to do for me! Somebody is going to have to save me from myself! Help!

Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results