shape
carat
color
clarity

Survey

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icey

Rough_Rock
What says "i love you" more Tiffany or Cartier e-rings?If you''re gonna go on about how expensive they are, save your time...

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
11.gif

I think this depends entirely on the person. Kind of like Coke vs. Pepsi.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Tiffany...IMHO. Its the classic e-ring.

DiehardSearcher

Rough_Rock
"What says I love you more...."
Neither, and putting saved money away for your kids' education.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/24/2003 1
6.gif
6:53 PM icey wrote:

What says "i love you" more Tiffany or Cartier e-rings?If you're gonna go on about how expensive they are, save your time...
----------------

wassup icey,

i do like the coke vs. pepsi analogy by LG, but if i had to choose one, i'd say Tiffany as well. their classic setting is a classic for a reason...how many Cartier-like settings have you seen around vs. Tiffany-like?

jlim

Shiny_Rock
I don't think Cartier and Tiffany are like Pepsi and Coke. It is more like Pepsi/Coke and Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper.

Cartier brand in general is much better than Tiffany.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
If you are not here for a survey of opinions than for what?

Personally as a woman, nothing means more to me than the sentiment behind the proposal--not the label on the box. Add to that, that it means more to me that you afforded us an extra couple days on our honeymoon by getting more for your money on the ring.

Also, Harry Winston and Neil Lane would mean more to me than Tiffany or Cartier if I ascribed to your philosophy.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
What says "I love you" more? Wasting thousands of extra dollars on a name or saving so much money on a BETTER diamond that you can afford a plane flight and limo ride to a 5 star hotel for the proposal and still have literally thousands of extra dollars in your pocket?

canadianice

Rough_Rock
I think the Cartier traditional 1895 platinum setting is simply exquisite, and is more unique than the Tiffany six-prong (which is beautiful in its own right).

I do think that Tiffany & Co. may have better cut stones, though.

I saw some Cartier stones with less than optimal depth and table. Of course, they don't supply a Sarin analysis on their stones.

Tiffany does give at least some info on the pav depth and crown angle...

Cartier will likely be more expensive, too.

Cheers

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
i do like the coke vs. pepsi analogy by LG, but if i had to choose one, i'd say Tiffany as well. their classic setting is a classic for a reason...how many Cartier-like settings have you seen around vs. Tiffany-like?

Which, in my mind, makes Cartier more desirable. I mean, that's like saying Harry Winstons are even less desirable because you see even fewer of them! Do you want to tell your GF that she's special like any other Tiffany-wearing gal on the street, or so special that you wanted to make sure she owned something few others had?
2.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Nicely put Hest!

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
What says "I love you" more? Buying a prefabricated off the shelf ring or painstakingly searching for the perfect diamond and having it set into a custom ring, making it totally unique, just like your fiancee?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I got to tell you, I find few things around here as entertaining as the endless arguments about Tiffany's.

I still think Leonid needs to put a warning about the subject somewhere.
3.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
RBJD, nicely put.

Icey, I hope you get the message, I can't say it enough as a woman, getting the Tifanny's ring is a novelty that will where off when she learns how over inflated their prices are or when shrinkage sets in and she realizes she could'ce gotten a bigger stone had she not gone with Tiffany's name. That last part was an assumption, I don't know what your budget is like-maybe the sky is the limit but, if it's not you might want to take a survey with your girlfriend and give her some options like . . .

What is more important a bigger better stone with a Tiffany style setting or a smaller stone with the Tiffany marking?

Do some research see what you can get for your money and have her compare the two . . what you can afford at Tiff's and what you can get without the Tiffany name.

Do you mind sharing your budget and the Tiffany ring you're eyeing?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure how I double posted . . . sorry.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither says I love you more IMO--love has nothing to do with an e-ring..it's a symbol of a future committment rather than a symbol of love..but then again I am sure some people will disagree. It's such a pet peeve of mine to see love equated with a status such as Tiffany or Cartier..or even love equated with how big your ring is...or that you have a ring at all. If you don't get a ring, does that mean you don't love the person? To me love is from the heart, like chicken soup when you are sick, or a foot rub when you've had a bad day. Doesn't mean I would turn down a big e-ring (I didn't!!) -- but it had nothing to do with my love for my fiance.

That said....if we are talking which BRAND speaks louder to me out of the two (not discussing love)...I would say that I would be more interested in Cartier than Tiffany. Cartier to me represents a better quality and higher price tag than Tiffany, e.g. if I was interested in the brand I would think that would convey a more 'elite' feel than Tiffany. I know tons of people that shop at Tiffany (myself included), but not as many that can afford Cartier (myself included). Or a *perception* of not being able to afford Cartier. In reality, their stuff is not ALL that much more expensive than Tiffany. Some pieces..sure...but their e-ring markups are pretty similar. They also have more unique settings IMO than Tiffany.

2.gif
I think Leo should put a survey area on the site...we can all spend our days and hours filling out surveys on what we'd want, sizing we'd choose, our idea of love, Tiffany over HW over Cartier over Kmart...Leo are you listening?! I love surveys.

hidamari

Rough_Rock
It all depends on her taste...
Both brands are very good. I think a girl would be very happy
to get either a red box or a blue box, so I think it depends on
what kind of setting she likes.

As for what I thought when I went to both stores few months ago,
I thought Cartier's stones sparkled more than Tiffany's,
but I liked the 6-prong (Tiffany) better than 4-prong (Cartier).

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Good topic
1.gif

If you had to choose it would be tiffany's .

But girls like to know that you are a good stewart of your money. When you look at 5 times over the price you could buy her with a higher quality then tiffany's , she will have the diamond she wants, the money in the bank and a great guy who is good with his money.

Just my 2 cents from being married 23 years
1.gif

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
I've been married 28 years and agree that engagement ring or not I love you has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a ring or a brand name. I would much rather have something specially made for me that no one else has.

My oldest daughter at 26 lives in Boston and gets a kick out of all the girls in their 20s have to have the Tiffany bracelet just like all their friends. Kind of like buying a Coach bag and keeping the Coach logo charm on it just for show. So tacky!! Not saying I don't buy brand cause I do if I find it to be the best in quality and value. However when a brand garners extra cash strictly due to the name I'll pass.

Give me a handcrafted design made for me any day!!

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
How can you ask such a question and not expect someone to refer to the expense (or, IMO, wasted money)?!?! By asking a question about such high-end (overpriced) stones/rings, you should expect this.

What says "I Love You" more is someone who takes the time to find a well cut stone. And then to set it in something a little more unique than an off-the-shelf setting such as Cartier or Tiffany.

Think about it - when you cop out and purchase a Tiffany/Cartier for the name (seriously, that really is all you are buying), you are getting your girlfriend the EXACT ring XXX number of woman have received.

Love does not equate to the money you spend on an ering. The time you spend finding the best stone you can afford, having it set in a setting that "fits" with your girlfriend's style, then proposing in a romantic and memorable way is the BEST way to say "I LOVE YOU"!!!
2.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Icey, you see what I mean? What are all of us women telling you?

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
What says I love you more?
That's an easy one for me
One thing I can assure you
It's NOT Cartier OR Tiffany!

It's being ready for commitment
And expressing how you feel
Long after the glow of the diamond fades
You'll find out what is real.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
HeyJud,

That was perfect. As usual, I'm so impressed with your talent.

icey

Rough_Rock
You guys and gals are taking this question way too literally. I was merely asking which brand you prefered w/ e-rings, not whether or not how i can "buy" her love. I've always purchased name brands and have appreciated their quality. If I can justify buying a BMW over a Nissan and taking a15% depreciation the first year and atotal 50% by 3-4 years, I think an E-ring she may literally have for 30-40 years is well worth it.Everybody has their own opinion and lifestyle and i can respect that...

Dukegirl

Rough_Rock
Yes, but at least with a BMW you can see that it is a BMW right away, as opposed to a Nissan. That is not a fair comparison, IMHO.

icey

Rough_Rock
you're still paying a premium..it all boils down to luxury. A nissan will get you to your destination as well. Also you are wrong cause many people will recognise tiff or cartier ring right away..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icey--not to be a stick in the mud BUT your original question WAS 'what says i love you more'.....when you start a question like that, sometimes that is what people will see AND focus on. So taking things 'literally' in this case was on the money with what you wrote.

icey

Rough_Rock
Then that was my mistake...you guys have got to loosen up a little....

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/25/2003 12:43:41 PM icey wrote:

If I can justify buying a BMW over a Nissan and taking a15% depreciation the first year and atotal 50% by 3-4 years, I think an E-ring she may literally have for 30-40 years is well worth it.
----------------

Actually, BMW holds its value pretty good. In fact, the Nissan will probably depreciate more than BMW, percentage wise.

But I agree with you. I don't think anyone here seriously thought you were equating love to either Cartier or Tiffany. At least I didn't.

edit - I guess not. Some people actually took it literally.

Btw, what's the big deal about driving a regular 3 series, like the 325, 330? These are the people who just want to be seen in a BMW, which I've always called a Bummer. When you buy a 540 or M5, you are talking about a serious automobile. A regular 325 invoice at around $27k w/o minimal options. That's less than a loaded Honda Odyssey.

Q: What's the difference bet. a porcupine and a BMW?
A: The porcupine has pricks on the outside.

Q: What's the difference bet. a porcupine and a BMW driver?
A: Nothing. They are all pricks.

(PS: Sorry dimonBob, I know you love your Z3, but that's a nice convertible compared to a regular 3 series
2.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Not to mention you titled your thread survey> Pull survey with what says love more, your going to get more than that a and b answers you offered as multiple choice. Again. Fred Leighton, Harry Winston, Neil Lane since you're so unti the brand thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results