shape
carat
color
clarity

Survey, 1/3 carat on a size 7 finger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hey there,
35.gif

Wanted to get your opinions on something. Do you think a ~.3 carat (ideal) diamond set in a ring about the same width would look lost or odd on a size 7 finger?
33.gif

I''ve always loved the look of ''soulmates'' and ''entire'' on the niwaka site. But those are designed for petite Japanese women, and I''m neither.

(I''ll figure out how to post the pic after dinner).

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Were you looking to set it in a solitaire setting, or a setting with side stones? My original e-ring had a .38ct round (non-ideal cut) in it that was deep and faced up more like a .33ct. It was in a bypass setting and had channel set side stones in it. My finger back then was a size 5 - 5.5 and I thought it looked small, but not "lost".

Last year I had the diamond put into an x-prong setting. That setting (IMO) made the diamond look so small, even though I wore it with a diamond eternity band. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of it on my hand, but my finger size jumped to a 6 - 6.5 (thanks to two very close pregnancies) and I thought it did look lost in the solitaire. I now have that diamond in a pendant and am considering putting it in a halo setting.

ETA: I am 5'5", medium build and not petite at all!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
garsh that site is not so user friendly
14.gif

finally found it...

new65.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look kicken.
My wifey2b has a .23ct on a size 10 ring and it looks fine.
nice and sparky.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually if a smaller diamond is going to look good in any setting..i think this would be it. it''s a nice flowing design with the diamond not screaming for the center of attention, but allowing itself to be part of the overall meaning of the ring. i like it!
2.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I love those rings so much. And it''s just as much about the ring and the lovely design as the diamond, so I think you could go any size on any finger.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I think they're adorable and I actually tried on a similar ring that was 1/3 ct and it looked really nice.

ETA I'm also a size 7

E B

Ideal_Rock
I love how sleek those rings look! Part of me loves the antique-y looking pave I have on my ring, and the other part of me covets the more modern styles.

About the size, why don''t you try some .3 cts on? Any jewelery store will do...just keep in mind an ideal stone will look better!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:13:28 PM
Author: EBree
I love how sleek those rings look! Part of me loves the antique-y looking pave I have on my ring, and the other part of me covets the more modern styles.

About the size, why don''t you try some .3 cts on? Any jewelery store will do...just keep in mind an ideal stone will look better!
2.gif
I agree try some on to see if the size suits you. I love the design of that ring and love the matching wedding band. The ideal cut will make all the difference.
2.gif
And thanks belle for the pic!!!
1.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Wren ~

I know once your a Pricescoper ... you tend to want bigger & nicer diamonds. That said, I think a 1/3 of a ct will be just fine on a size 7 finger, especially with an ideal cut diamond in the Niwaka settings.

Back in the 80''s I happen to buy myself a .29 ideal cut diamond, (didn''t know that it was ideal cut or exactly what that meant back then) and it was in a very slim semi curved setting just in yellow gold, and it looked very pretty. I rec''d compliments on it daily.

I love the Niwaka line
emlove.gif
... the beautiful artistic fluidity
face23.gif
... MMMmmmm
18.gif
! I say ... "It''s gonna be beautiful!"
emthup.gif

Keep us updated and have a great day!
35.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:17:54 PM
Author: kaleigh

2.gif
I agree try some on to see if the size suits you. I love the design of that ring and love the matching wedding band. The ideal cut will make all the difference.
2.gif
1.gif

Yes, thank you Belle!
36.gif

Like you, EBree, I''m also a fan of both modern and antique-y (although not pave for some reason). But modern is more suited to both my life style and my personality. I recently went and tried on some dresses and the antique-style I liked so much in concept, I found in person to be too fussy and busy. The simpler the dress was, the better it looked on me.
5.gif

Well, since bf will be well occupied most of tomorrow with ph.d stuff, I have plenty of time to go test-drive rings!
3.gif
I doubt I''ll find anything similar or with a 1/3 carat in a wider band like that, but it''s worth a look-see.

While I love niwaka look, I don''t love their prices. Before their price hike that ring started at $2600 for a 1/4 carat in 900 plat. (which I prefer over regular anyway) Granted that''s for an ideal D-F VVS-VS, but still! I wonder if WF could make one for less with an ACA?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:42:20 PM
Author: Wren
Date: 2/25/2006 11:17:54 PM

Author: kaleigh

2.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Yes, thank you Belle!
36.gif

Like you, EBree, I''m also a fan of both modern and antique-y (although not pave for some reason). But modern is more suited to both my life style and my personality. I recently went and tried on some dresses and the antique-style I liked so much in concept, I found in person to be too fussy and busy. The simpler the dress was, the better it looked on me.
5.gif

Well, since bf will be well occupied most of tomorrow with ph.d stuff, I have plenty of time to go test-drive rings!
3.gif
I doubt I''ll find anything similar or with a 1/3 carat in a wider band like that, but it''s worth a look-see.

While I love niwaka look, I don''t love their prices. Before their price hike that ring started at $2600 for a 1/4 carat in 900 plat. (which I prefer over regular anyway) Granted that''s for an ideal D-F VVS-VS, but still! I wonder if WF could make one for less with an ACA?

I bet they could. Since you''re trying to keep costs down, would you go white gold? That''d keep the price down quite a bit.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you're welcome for the pic posting wren
2.gif

hey..btw...judging by your avatar, we must share the same sky. there's only one place that i know of where the sky is that clear blue.
30.gif

call wf and get a quote. it never hurts to ask!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:28:40 PM
Would you be getting your diamond from an online vendor?
18.gif

.318 I, SI1 Ideal H&A $489

.338 G, SI2 Ideal H&A $520

.35 I, SI1 Ideal H&A $552

Just a little eyecandy.
31.gif

Weeeelll, I think at that size my bf could spring for higher color/clarity. Somehow I find color more noticable in smaller diamonds. wierd, huh?

Being a PSer, I had already taken a gander at a few diamonds. I rather like this one .39 H VS ACA
or .37 E VVS2 Ideal
Yes, I know VVS is a bit exessive, but I sooo want to shut my mother up about her D IF .5 carat. If bf got me an SI, I''d never hear the end of it.
20.gif
Not a very good reason, I know.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:52:05 PM
Author: belle
you're welcome for the pic posting wren
2.gif

hey..btw...judging by your avatar, we must share the same sky. there's only one place that i know of where the sky is that clear blue.
30.gif

I think I will. Strangely, my bf being in ph.d defense count down frenzy, has made me feel bolder about investigating things since I can't bring it up right now.
9.gif
11.gif

Belle, do you also have mountains nearby with a really disturbing lack of snow?

ETA: White Gold is an excellent idea! I like shiny, and white gold stays shinier longer. I'd even go for 14k white gold.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:57:54 PM
Author: Wren

Date: 2/25/2006 11:52:05 PM
you''re welcome for the pic posting wren
2.gif

hey..btw...judging by your avatar, we must share the same sky. there''s only one place that i know of where the sky is that clear blue.
30.gif

I think I will. Strangely, my bf being in ph.d defense count down frenzy, has made me feel bolder about investigating things since I can''t bring it up right now.
9.gif
11.gif

Belle, do you also have mountains nearby with a really disturbing lack of snow?
have fun investigating!
11.gif
36.gif

snow? is it winter?
11.gif
it was in the 60''s here today.
6.gif
yes, the mountains are very lacking of snow. i love them though!
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 2/26/2006 12:03:03 AM
have fun investigating!
11.gif
36.gif

snow? is it winter?
11.gif
it was in the 60's here today.
6.gif
yes, the mountains are very lacking of snow. i love them though!
2.gif
[/quote]

LOL! My poor crocus got confused and came up too early! (Croci? crocuses? )

Well, I'll let you guys know how the ring test drives go tomorrow.
2.gif
Well, I'm not shopping for a ring, so it's like a test drive, right?
31.gif
(My father does that so frequently the dealers just hand him the keys when he shows up).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Lovely setting! Seriously... I would have picked somehing very similar either from that site or elsewhere to answer the question that started the thread. The wave in the Niwaka ring can only help compared to what a straigth band with the flush set diamond might look.

IMO, such a ring will look way better on your hand than on mine (small). Good for you!
2.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2006 11:26:22 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hi Wren ~

I know once your a Pricescoper ... you tend to want bigger & nicer diamonds. That said, I think a 1/3 of a ct will be just fine on a size 7 finger, especially with an ideal cut diamond in the Niwaka settings.

Back in the 80's I happen to buy myself a .29 ideal cut diamond, (didn't know that it was ideal cut or exactly what that meant back then) and it was in a very slim semi curved setting just in yellow gold, and it looked very pretty. I rec'd compliments on it daily.

I love the Niwaka line
emlove.gif
... the beautiful artistic fluidity
face23.gif
... MMMmmmm
18.gif
! I say ... 'It's gonna be beautiful!'
emthup.gif

Keep us updated and have a great day!
35.gif
Mrs Darlin Joy is right. Back in the 70's and 80's there were tons of quarters, thirds, and half carat diamonds sold in engagement rings. It was the norm. Times have changed and as consumers we now want bigger diamonds. Nothing wrong with that!
2.gif
. But remember, not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. Whatever you decide, will be beautiful, I'm sure.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wren, I LOVE that ring. I think it is very fluid and elegant. I think it would look great on your hand. Keep us updated!!!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I really really like that setting! Very cool!!! And I think it would look great on your hand, Wren. (If you get it and don''t like it, feel free to forward it directly to my address!)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Welp, didn''t get a chance to test drive sizes today. Hopefully tomorrow. Bf has a workshop in town so I''ll probably walk downtown to meet him for coffee or lunch. And I just happen to have to walk by, um ... excluding the money-laundering ones, about 7 jewelry stores. Sometimes there are benefits to living in a tourist city.
31.gif

Anyway, in the mean time, I remembered that I had tried on a ring about the same width last August and really loved how it looked on. (made my fingers look longer and more elegant) It was this C. Priolo but with a 3-4mm ruby instead of a 5mm tanz., in 14k yellow gold at $985. ow! But I realized that it just wasn''t fancy enough or engagement-y enough for me. It did cause me to look online for organic styles which is how I found Niwaka and then PS.
CS_SD-1148_tanzanite.jpg
1.gif

Well, I''ll update tomorrow afternoon (mt time) after my *cough* walk.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Wren,

I prefer smaller size stones, too, since my fingers are smaller. And I have found that curving designs really hug small stones well, and make them look absolutely wonderful! :) I also like the idea of the wedding band nesting with the engagement ring. I''m sure your finger would be able to showcase the ring beautifully. (My ring finger on my left hand is a 3 3/4, my ring finger on my right hand is a 5 1/4. Go figure. Good thing you can''t tell it to look at me. Point is, it looked just as pretty on my right hand as it did on my left.)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE!
I love 1/3 carat diamonds! (As long as the ring shank is roughly the same width.) In fact I think I like them better on me than larger diamonds including 1/2 carats. For some reason all the larger diamonds I saw today were greyish to me. I was really surprised I was looking at H and G's.

Not that there were alot of 1/3 carats downtown. I found a lovely 1950's 14k white gold with a 1/3 carat G VS2, that was really white and sparkled like crazy! But not crazy enough for $2600! oy.

But it did confirm that 1/3 of a carat is the right size for me!

ETA: Funniest part of the day: Him: "The quality of this diamond is G-H color and VS2 Clarity" Me: "What about the cut?" Him: "It's a round brilliant".
23.gif
Like I thought it was a square?? As my favorite dating phrase went... "NEXT!".

Terri-Jo

Rough_Rock
That set is very pretty. I agree that you could get it made for a lot less.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
YAY! YAY!
Heard back from WF. We can afford it! He could easily get me the e-ring with a nice 1/3 carat ideal right now if he wanted. The caveat, however, is that the designers want both the e-ring and the w-band to be made at the same time. This means a few more months of saving, since he wants to pay cash.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else in his house dies or blows up (fridge once, furnace twice), and that he really does get a raise this spring.
14.gif

Now all I have to do is convince him this is the best choice, while making him think it's his idea.
31.gif
(He wanted options not 'this ring please', oh well!).
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to this thread, I love the design! I think as a size 9 gal
6.gif
that the slightly smaller diamonds look just as lovely as the larger ones, each have their own beauty and charm and they look just as nice on larger hands too. I will keep everything crossed for you Wren that nothing major happens so you can get your diamond!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 3:50:43 PM
Author: Lorelei
I will keep everything crossed for you Wren that nothing major happens so you can get your diamond!
Oh, please do!
I''m such a horrible person but the first thing that flashes through my mind when he talks about something that involves money is ''Ring''. I have to buy a new fridge, Ring. I don''t think I have any heat, RIng. I won''t be getting as big of a tax return as I thought, Ring! My car needs a $600 service, waaah Ring?!

He wants to choose the ring himself
20.gif
, but I think I''ll strongly suggest either this or an 1/3 OEC in something antique-y and lowset. That''s plenty of choices, right?
2.gif

And just to be on the safe side, I''ve been saving super-nice 1/3 carats in my WF wishlist. PS really is a corrupting influence!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results