shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprising "side effects" of pregnancy...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all know about the big things -- food aversions, cravings, tiredness, pain, and on and on and on...

But I have noticed some other perhaps less common side effects (if you can call them that) that I wondered if others had experienced too!

Ok, so here is a very surprising thing I have noticed both times I have been pregnant -- my body hair stops growing! My hair on my head stops falling out, the hair on my legs does not need to be shaved (like, shave once and then go 3-4 weeks without doing it again).

Maybe on a related note, my hair does not get greasy either! I have not had to wash my hair in like 4 days and it still looks great. I shower of course :rodent: but don't need to wash my hair! Very stange.

Anyone else experience this or any other stange things?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
While pregnant with a boy, my hair got really oily and I had to shave my legs twice a day. While pregnant with a girl, all my skin and hair dried out and I could go a week without shaving. Both times, the hair on my head grew several inches.

I started eating tomatoes (although I didn't crave them) while preggo with JT. I started eating hamburgers while preggo with Lily. I hated tomatoes and hamburgers before those pregnancies.

I felt huge and gross when preggo with JT, but sexy and beautiful with Lily.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1303421464|2902168 said:
Ok, so here is a very surprising thing I have noticed both times I have been pregnant -- my body hair stops growing! My hair on my head stops falling out, the hair on my legs does not need to be shaved (like, shave once and then go 3-4 weeks without doing it again).

Maybe on a related note, my hair does not get greasy either! I have not had to wash my hair in like 4 days and it still looks great. I shower of course :rodent: but don't need to wash my hair! Very stange.

I experienced all of this when pregnant with my son. Loved it...until I was postpartum and losing hair left and right!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1303426004|2902214 said:
While pregnant with a boy, my hair got really oily and I had to shave my legs twice a day.

Do you think this is due to the testosterone or something?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1303427401|2902228 said:
somethingshiny|1303426004|2902214 said:
While pregnant with a boy, my hair got really oily and I had to shave my legs twice a day.

Do you think this is due to the testosterone or something?

I don't think it is related to the gender of the baby. I had dry skin/no oil with my boy pregnancy too!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all know about the big things -- food aversions, cravings, tiredness, pain, and on and on and on...

But I have noticed some other perhaps less common side effects (if you can call them that) that I wondered if others had experienced too!

Anyone else experience this or any other stange things?

I had a lot of the same things, especially with the hair not growing. It was great!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
E B|1303426275|2902217 said:

I experienced all of this when pregnant with my son. Loved it...until I was postpartum and losing hair left and right!

Oh man I remember 3 months PP when it started falling out! I thought I was sick or something!! My hair was amazing during pregnancy. And my nails were so, so strong! I'm almost tempted to continue PNVs! :p

The surprises for *me* were constipation and snoring! The snoring especially. I never snored before but did all throughout the pregnancy!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
All I remember in terms of my hair being affected is that my hair was thick and beautiful while pregnant - then it all fell out a couple of months after E was born. I literally had lost so much I had a receding hair line and could not pull my hair back. But since then it has come back, but it was so weird.

Did anyone else get the weird skin discolorations? My armpits turned a bruised color towards the end of my pregnancy. It freaked me out. I also feel like my face changed a little. I think my nose got wider for some reason. I gained 40 lbs though while I was pregnant so maybe that's why! :o

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit, I didn't get any of those good side effects..no awesome hair and great skin. Hmph. I did manage to grow really long hair on my face/neck. It was like fluffy downy hair, thick and long. Mom got me one of those wand razor things they advertise. Gah.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got skin discoloration too! On my face, like freckles. They went away. And most/many of my moles got bigger and darker :knockout: That did not go away, I actually got two removed before getting pregnant.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I had lovely hair, skin and nails... other than my skin it all went pear-shaped about 3 months PP. My hair has always been a nightmare - very fine and inclined to go flat within an hour of blow-drying etc - but it was always very shiny and silky. Since 3 months PP until a few weeks ago it was horrible - felt like straw and looked really dull. I've had more haircuts in the last 2 years than the 5 years before that!

Oh and the nails are pregnancy not the PNVs... :blackeye:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also developed a lot more moles and freckles during pregnancy. I'm quite freckled in general-especially on my face-so that wasn't a big deal. No change with existing moles, but I have several new ones on my chest that I need to have checked because my chest is one area that definitely is exposed to the sun so I'm a little freaked. One started as a pinprick of a strawberry mark and is now about 2mm in diameter and a dark red, almost brown/black. I didn't get the "mask" on my face, but I did develop a large sun spot on my right eyebrow that hasn't gone away.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it was testosterone related, just coincidental, but a funny one.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could eat dairy while preg. so about 1/4 of my diet was cheddar cheese. I'm surprised my kids weren't born with orange hair!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I typically have a strong immune system, but this baby has knocked me on my ass! I've had 3 bad colds and get a cold sore every other week. Im used to rarey getting sick. And maybe getting one cold sore a year.
I iwsh I had shiny great hair! Mines greasy! My nails are growing at warp speed tho, and looikng great!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
With both pregnancies, my hair and nails grew much faster than usual. Unfortunately, I also developed several "skin tags" on my face and body which drive me nuts. Some, but not all, went away PP with my daughter.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My skin/hair was SO oily! That was one of my first signs of pregnancy. I would wash my hair twice b/c it still felt dirty after the first time. I didn't have any positive side effects. ;(

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1303525060|2903123 said:
My skin/hair was SO oily! That was one of my first signs of pregnancy. I would wash my hair twice b/c it still felt dirty after the first time. I didn't have any positive side effects. ;(

do you think it's b/c we had girls? i had a lovely man (contractor) tell me he guessed girl because they steal your beauty. No backtracking after that worked...thanks ALOT!!

I did have fuller hair and longer nails, but thought maybe that was from the prenatals. As we all know it falls out in clumps (the hair) PP so not like you don't pay later, lol.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer i have the same side effects that you have...My hair doesn't get oily even after many days post shampooing. Also, i've never had very hairy legs but during this pregnancy all the hair on my legs has totally disappeared!!! I also noticed that the color of my skin on my armpits has become darker.
I lost a lot of hair but there's also a lot, and i mean A LOT, of new short hair growing and sticking out of my head :) it makes me look so funny!
And finally...i'm eating 24/7 and i have transformed into a whale :blackeye:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results