shape
carat
color
clarity

surface graining?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I went a head and ordered the .65 RB for a side stone. I took a second look at the cert and noticed the words, "surface graining" on the listed items regarding clarity. This is only a GIA Dossier report cause the stone is smaller. The overall clarity is SI1.

I hope this will not be a problem. Does anyone know if this can be visible? They checked it as "eye clean", but we all know that can mean a lot or nothing
2.gif

What is surface graining? The polish is listed as very good, symm is excellent, cut is excellent.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 2:55:51 PM
Author:Beacon
I went a head and ordered the .65 RB for a side stone. I took a second look at the cert and noticed the words, ''surface graining'' on the listed items regarding clarity. This is only a GIA Dossier report cause the stone is smaller. The overall clarity is SI1.

I hope this will not be a problem. Does anyone know if this can be visible? They checked it as ''eye clean'', but we all know that can mean a lot or nothing
2.gif

What is surface graining? The polish is listed as very good, symm is excellent, cut is excellent.
Surface Graining is structural irregularity. You can see it with a microscope. The graining may resemble faint facet junction lines, or cause a grooved or wavy surface. They look like polishing lines, but they often cross facet junctions where polishing lines don''t. It is a natural characteristic of the diamond crystal, and not a reflection of the cut quality.

Many times a grading report will list surface graining, pinpoints, additional clouds, etc. as ''not shown.'' The report is just noting that these things exist for sake of thoroughness. ''Not shown'' means they are non-issues.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Thanks John! I won''t stress on this now. I''ll post the photos of this stone once I receive it, which won''t be til October.

I don''t know about anyone else, but I get such a kick out of getting a diamond in the mail. I love anticipating it and being curious and all that.

I hope this little stone looks nice along with my current RB. Ah the thrill of the hunt
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results