shape
carat
color
clarity

Surface Grain lines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you see many surface grain lines on every facet as a durability issue? It does not affect appearance with naked eye only viewable with magnification when light shined off facets?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Surface grain lines are just that.

According to GIA grading: Technically a blemish should not pose as a durability issue, and actually are not usually plotted, unless it is a higher clarity (VS2 +), since the obvious clarity setting characteristics of such stones are usually clouds, crystals, feathers, etc... Blemishes that can be included are only used as clarity setting characteristics on Internally flawless/flawless stones. Obviously it is possible to have in INTERNALLY Flawless stone with blemishes, but nothing inside, and still be internally flawless. Very few blemishes are allowed on a Flawless stone, tiny naturals, tiny scratches, and tiny polish lines, I believe....

Internal graining is usually considered a clarity characteristic that IS plotted, but usually harder to find than surface graining, but even in extreme cases, i don''t believe it is considered detrimental to the stone. As they are slight distortions in the crystal structure, I don''t think they count as cleavage planes, or have such an effect, if that was what you were thinking...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Nicrez.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results