shape
carat
color
clarity

Supreme Court decision on Sales tax and it's effect on jewelry/diamond sales

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe that in NYState- you must pay sales tax to register a car.....

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t buy a lot of stuff on-line, but I do try to make a good attempt to identify online purchases that didn’t include California sales tax and declare that on my state income taxes under the “use tax” provision. Can’t say that I do it perfectly, but I try. It had never occurred to me to include souvenirs picked up during my travels however... hmm... Not sure how I feel about that, especially when I’ve already paid the applicable local tax onnan item. Fortunately the only items I brought back from a recent two-week out-of-state trip were a children’s book and a shot glass! :lol:

ETA - just looked it up. If I buy something from a locality that already charges a sales tax, I can deduct the tax paid from what I would have to pay locally and “just” pay the difference as the “use” tax. Which would amount to little or nothing in my case. Whew!

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question is, how long do you have to use the product out-of-state for it to be considered out-of-state?

I don't know what the car situation is nowadays, but in old times, it was 1 mo (I think) - in very old times, someone could travel to Germany, buy a BMW, ride around for a month or two and not pay the tax in the US. Not me, but "I heard a story".
It's a state specific question. In my state, a resident can never register a car bought out of state and not pay in-state sales tax. A non-resident can register a car bought before becoming a resident without paying in-state sales tax. It doesn't make a difference if resident's car was purchased and used out of state for a period of time.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a state specific question. In my state, a resident can never register a car bought out of state and not pay in-state sales tax. A non-resident can register a car bought before becoming a resident without paying in-state sales tax. It doesn't make a difference if resident's car was purchased and used out of state for a period of time.
I believe in that case, it was bought out of country, but I don’t know the details as the people are not my acquaintances.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results