shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Nervous - Buying Online, Narrowed It Down, Need Advice

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Since the diamond has High FL, would it really glow (I'm thinking radioactive hue lol)? Maybe i should have her avoid places with high UV light?!

If any of experts out there has suggestions, please let me know!

I suggest you do a ton of research (starting with the video above) on fluorescence before you go dropping $20 grand.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
HI All,
Just a general note on prices- if one paid $50k for a D/VS1 no fluorescence of a given size and another stone, same grade and size with medium or strong blue is being offered for $35k, which is more difficult for a consumer to liquidate? On which stone would a consumer loose more money if they absolutely needed to sell for cash?

We're not talking medium or strong. We're talking VERY STRONG.

I would bet the farm the VS FLO stone will be harder to unload. Most people (The broader consumer base, not PS) spending this kind of money on a 2ct D will not want Flo.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where's the farm @TODiamonds?
Who are we "unloading" the diamond to?
If it's the folks that buy diamonds for cash, from consumers- they have a unique business model, in my experience.
They will buy WHATEVER they see that is well below wholesale, so they can easily re-sell.
If an inert stone is 40% more costly than a good looking VSB, the diamond buying businesses here on 47th st ( and elsewhere) the majority are interested in a heavily discounted VSB, if it's not dull. Even if it is dull, they'll buy- just lower the price further.
Pricescope is a microcosm. It's not like all that many dealers read this forum.
And it's just easier to sell things that cost less.

TO THE OP!!
I'm not suggesting the stone is a good stone to purchase- and I'm not suggesting otherwise......just making general points....

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone buys diamonds with the thought of "unloading" it in the future.

Personally, I love fluor. It is such a unique quality to me. This is an amazing stone for an amazing price. Do they have a return policy? If you're nervous that would be the best way to set it up - keep it for a few days, view in different lights and see if it makes your heart sing.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI All,
Just a general note on prices- if one paid $50k for a D/VS1 no fluorescence of a given size and another stone, same grade and size with medium or strong blue is being offered for $35k, which is more difficult for a consumer to liquidate? On which stone would a consumer loose more money if they absolutely needed to sell for cash?

PS- there's no "raging debate"- one tradesperson is taking a view contrary to what the trade knows is the truth. And no matter how much scientific evidence is presented, he'll keep on denying it.

We're not talking medium or strong. We're talking VERY STRONG.

I would bet the farm the VS FLO stone will be harder to unload. Most people (The broader consumer base, not PS) spending this kind of money on a 2ct D will not want Flo.

Where's the farm @TODiamonds?
Who are we "unloading" the diamond to?
If it's the folks that buy diamonds for cash, from consumers- they have a unique business model, in my experience.
They will buy WHATEVER they see that is well below wholesale, so they can easily re-sell.
If an inert stone is 40% more costly than a good looking VSB, the diamond buying businesses here on 47th st ( and elsewhere) the majority are interested in a heavily discounted VSB, if it's not dull. Even if it is dull, they'll buy- just lower the price further.
Pricescope is a microcosm. It's not like all that many dealers read this forum.
And it's just easier to sell things that cost less.

TO THE OP!!
I'm not suggesting the stone is a good stone to purchase- and I'm not suggesting otherwise......just making general points....

It is a fair point that the wider market would be less likely to snap up a fluor stone than a non-fluor stone in the secondhand market, but if the wider market offer would be 60% of a non-fluor stone offer, surely that's fine if it cost 60% of the fluor stone price when New? :razz:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I understand your post @OoohShiny ...
If a consumer wishes to try to sell to the second-hand market ( LT, eBay, etc) there are possibly more potential buyers for a D/VS1 no blue.....but then again, if a VSB is 40% less costly, wouldn't that even out the playing field?
As I mentioned, if one is selling back into the trade, it's a different story.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluor GIA.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Remarkable- in the second paragraph, the first two sentences, directly contradict each other.....

Loco0078

Rough_Rock
Ack, diamond is gone while I was asking for more pictures. Apparently a UK buyer took the diamond which was overseas... Sigh, back to searching.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear that. Next time, put it on hold. Especially if you post it on this forum (lots of lurkers).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original ER is D with VSBF and nothing is wrong with it (except the cut lol which is likely 60/60 1993 un graded stone),

My appraiser said it’s whiter than his D double graded AGS and GIA D stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your vendor didn’t have an up to date virtual list. When he went to get it, it was already gone.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Remarkable- in the second paragraph, the first two sentences, directly contradict each other.....

I am inclined to agree! but perhaps the intention is to say that the fluor levels noted have no negative or obvious effect, but that the overall appearance is more attractive?

In the same way that a lady on the other side of a room wearing make-up can be more attractive while not being obviously 'made-up'? :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results