shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunstones including an asscher

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased my first asscher cut from Peter Torraca, a sunstone. At around the same time, I was given some others by a generous g.g. at my local favorite B&M goldsmith/jeweler. I am so fascinated with these stones! The photos don't do them justice, they have a golden glint from their natural dispersion, and the ones with schiller have an extra shimmer to them.

I have several photos for you. I also purchased a ring at a mall store that I am going to use to set the asscher, the amethyst is OK, but the sunstone is terrific. It has that typical sunstone blob of color in the middle of a lighter stone, but face up it is all peachiness. The streaks are, I think, very faint traces of schiller. I have louped the stone, but don't see it, I need to take it to the jeweler and borrow their dark-field loupe until I can get one, as I think it will be more visible there. Sorry the third pic isn't direct so you can see all the asscher faces, will see if I have another, but you can see the little halo setting I am going to use for it. That came from a store called Reed's at the mall, they are in several states, but not the whole US. They had several gemstones set into that setting, and it's a standard 6mm. The Asscher is about 5.94 on all sides, and my jeweler is confident it will fit. Will post a side view of the setting too, The basket isn't all that great, but it was only $175 so I'm happy with the purchase and it fits OK...very delicate. May have to size it down a bit if I lose more weight though.

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1282.jpg

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1283.jpg

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1284.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Sunstones including an assher

Congrats on your new sunstone. So there’s no schiller effect showing face up?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

I have to adjust the white balance on my photos as at work, where I usually take the better photos since there is more light, the fluorescent cast is too much. Here are some more.

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1284 (1).jpg

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1285.jpg

PTorracasunstoneAug2010  1286.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

And last, a couple more pictures of the other three sunstones that were a gift. The pear with the schiller is really cool. They are darker in the photos than IRL (including the asscher). One of the ovals has a lot of schiller and one dark spot that is fun to look at. The other is more clear, but has a feather in it. They are all quite sparkly, like dicrhoic glass is if you have seen it. The closeups of the individual stones are not good, too fuzzy, but you will get the idea. The focus is quite fooled on these when I get too close with my P&S camera. I really need a macro lens for my better digital.

SunstonesAug2010  1287.jpg

SunstonesAug2010  1288.jpg

SunstonesAug2010  1289.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Last couple photos.

SunstonesAug2010  1290.jpg

SunstonesAug2010  1291.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, those are really pretty!
I have been wondering about sunstones!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
My g.g. at the local store has a couple of pear stones that are just gorgeous, very nice, one is greenish instead of peachy--no schiller. I guess they can come in other colors.

Laura

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, on the asscher, there is no schiller face up. I am not sure that the streaks are schiller because they show up only on the macro zoom for some reason. I don't see anything with my eye, and not yet with the loupe though I have not had time to really look it over.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Cool stones! :appl:

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
That's really nice.. I never thought about cutting an Asscher out of sunstone.. it came out really great, i'll have to try that soon.. very nice collection!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I've become somewhat obsessed with Sunstones lately so thank you for posting yours. You have a very nice collection.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I have one more cabachon that I need to post, but I've had a lot of fun with these, and now to get that asscher set!

Laura

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jleb said:
That's really nice.. I never thought about cutting an Asscher out of sunstone.. it came out really great, i'll have to try that soon.. very nice collection!

I agree. Since asschers show every little inclusion, might as well put it to work to highlight schiller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results