shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunstone questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking at lots of pictures of sunstones and have realized that they are quite different, some are "clear" while other seems to have lots of "confetti" and there is also the type with tiny copper platelets.

* What type of sunstone is the most valuable?
* What colours does it come in and what colour is the most common/rare?
* Are sunstones often "treated" in some way or are most sunstones sold "natural"?
* I am eyeing a (Oregon) sunstone briolette- would it be to fragile for a pendant?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most expensive sunstone is one that is very large, saturated and red. Most are a combination of various amounts of orange and pink. Although sunstones are not treated in any way, I am a bit hesitant when it comes to certain Andesines, especially with after the uproar with it in the past year. Those turned out to be treated to get that incredible colour. If you buy from a trusted vendor, you should not have to worry. I believe that it is fine as a pendant stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sunstone from Oregon comes in clear (light yellow, schiller (little copper platelets which reflect when light hits them at the right angle), green and red, sometimes in the same stone. The colored ones often have schiller in them making them look a bit foggy. Sunstones aren't usually treated, but those vibrant red andesines have become very suspect. I think that a pendant is probably the best use for a sunstone, since they are a bit soft and have perfect cleavage, so a hard knock in a ring could be the end of them. The reds and greens are the most expensive, followed by a fine schiller specimen, then the clear stones which are quite inexpensive. I think that the best of the lot are those with a red background and a bright copper schiller in patterns. I had a small one once which looked like a mountain scene at sunset.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
These are sunstones from Oregon:

Picture%20385.jpg

Picture%20386.jpg

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies! The sunstone briolette I am thinking of buying is from Oregon. It has lots of these small copper platelets. As it is a briolette I would need to have my jeweller turning into something similar to the picture I attach- would that be a good option for such stone?

amethyst_pendant.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s fine for a sunstone. Pendants don’t get a lot of abuse like rings.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would also store it away from other jewelery to avoid scratching, etc.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 10:33:33 PM
Author: szh07
I would also store it away from other jewelery to avoid scratching, etc.
Ditto this. My jewelry designer gave me a number of small zip lock bags to store each briolette separately when I picked up a recent project. She also warned me against dropping them onto a tile floor, such as in the bathroom. Apparently a client was putting her briolette earrings on in the bathroom, dropped one (the stone was opal), and the stone snapped off.
6.gif
So I open the baggies over my bed now. So far, so good.
1.gif

I think a sunstone briolette pendant would look fantastic. Just make sure that the chain is short enough that it doesn''t swing out when you bend forward and be able to strike something such as a water fountain. Up to 20 inches should be fine.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results