shape
carat
color
clarity

sunset stone color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was in santa cruz yesterday and was lucky enough to catch the sunset...did anyone else see it?!

it was the most incredible warm orangey color: no pink, no burnt gold, no copper, no red, no peach...just pure warmth. i''ve not seen anything like it. i''m thinking the closest i''m going to come to it is an orange diamond.

if anyone was in the area and saw what i saw, i''d appreciate your feedback re stone and color. and then if you have a suggestion on just where i might find such a gem, i''d be ecstatic!

peace, movie zombie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I think you're after an orange garnet allright. Nothing quite match the color although sapphire might happen (not that I know of any quite that orange). Both species are just about as bright - technically.

Among diamonds you would be looking for something really rare to come anywhere close to "mandarin" garnet ('guess that's what the nicer color is called). Sure diamonds are more brilliant... but you might fill a barrel with top color hessonite or spessartite before making up the cost of a small vivid orange diamond.

The pile above runs the range of color pretty well. It does take a bit of faith to imagine what those might look cut. Perhaps one just happens to match the sunset
1.gif

Garnet-108E.jpg

Garnet-195.jpg

"Mandarin" sounds nice. There are a couple of orange stones with weird names and very nice color I thought fit to mention.

... never seen Bastanaesite cut. Have you ?

Bastnaesite-12.jpg

A couple of years ago I found out about Clinohumite - presented as some rare collectable material.
A seven carat piece I came accross might have been the largest. However, that was one source from Pamir.
Now there seems to be some more out there after all from Tanzania (link). It's very orange !

There's more... Mexican Opal comes in very bright orange

fopl751.jpg

and Sphalerite may be orange as well with some luck.

Actually, this one would be as bright as a diamond, but it is quite a challenge to find one with light enough color to actually show that brilliance and fire. Even dark (burnt orange) it is still spectacular (definitely click on this one) and it gets better:

SL-4573B.jpg
1spha312.jpg

These last two are the softer of the lot - about as soft, really. Although both do get faceted and are usable. Surely opal is set rutinely in jewelry, it happens with sphalrite too only allot less frequent.

Hope some of the rambling makes sense
34.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Try to google Images "oregon sunstone"- I think it''s matches more your description.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2005 6:52:52 PM
Author: Pricescope
Try to google Images 'oregon sunstone'- I think it's matches more your description.
Finding an Oregon sunstone with that orange color can be tricky but not impossible. Mexican opal is another choice but I don't know anything about its hardness -- the one on the left in the pic is gorgeous.

edited to add: Oops, sorry Ana, I didn't notice you had already suggested the opal.

opal-fire-010.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle, yes, i had seen that thread. and one of the stones [i''m going to call it about third ''row'' down, largest on the upper left quadrant] has the tones. but it is hard to imagine it cut and i think when cut it will lose that creamy color...which could be good or bad....

sawyer''s gallery told me they have set a mexican opal and it was exquisite...and they also said it was impractical for everyday wear. i think the oregon stone has potential but is hard to find in the color i''m looking for and also probably impractical for everyday wear.

the spess garnet is probably the closest i''m going to be able to get to the color i saw. it may be that i''m going to have to re-think all this. i was originally just going to have a wedding band done with either a diamond or a color stone. then i was headed towards a wedding band and e-ring to get what i want. now i''m thinking i''m going to need a third ring.......
26.gif
!!!!!

and i''m now having fantasies about earrings and pendants.......!

peace, movie zombie

ps is there any place where i can actually see a richard homer cut gem ''live and in the flesh'' ,so to speak?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, the stones you posted are exquisite. and i clicked on the ''definitely click on this one'' and almost feel off my chair! however, it is listed as not suitable for setting, collector''s gem only. what a wonderful picture. wow! never heard of it, but its a definite wow!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2005 5:8:35 PM
Author: movie zombie

i clicked on the ''definitely click on this one'' and almost feel off my chair!
well... yeah... but
11.gif
A pin or pendant should work. It doesn''t have to sit under glass for all ages, especially if a construction like these below appeals to you. Persuading a jeweler to set sphalerite might take some convincing, but some work with it. I have seen pins and pendants with this stone.

RWwiseGoldsmiths.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, i love the one on the left with the diamonds! where do you find all these great pictures?! and do you ever sleep?!

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
on 2nd thought, i like the left orange stone setting best.... reminds me of a sunset.....

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2005 11:14:56 PM
Author: movie zombie
ana,[...] where do you find all these great pictures?
These two come from R.W. Wise Goldsmiths ... same shop showing colored gems with the blessing of Richard Wise
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results