shape
carat
color
clarity

sunglass hut lens cleaner makes my diamond sparkle - is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joyful

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I love my diamond engagement ring so much and I like it perfectly clean! I try to clean it every day. I don''t have an ultra sonic, because I don''t think I need one (maybe I would love the results if I had one though). I clean my ring with hot water, a little palmolive and the spray that Whiteflash sent with it. A week or so ago I was running errands and a friend called to have coffee and I was excited to show her my ring for the first time. I realized though that I hadn''t cleaned my ring that day and I really like it perfectly clean. In my car I have a small bottle of cleaning solution for my sunglasses from Sunglass Hut. It''s a little silver spray bottle that says SGH Lens Cleaner (it still has the $5.99 price tag on it). I sprayed this on my diamond and used my soft t-shirt to dry it off. I noticed that my diamond looked perfectly clean and very sparkly right away and the next day it still looked 100% clean. I''ve used the lens cleaning spray a few more times since and it seems to me like it keeps oils from my hands and lotions off my ring for much longer than dish soap and hot water. It''s like it repels oils and keeps my ring clean. I want to make sure though that it''s safe to use this solution! The bottle doesn''t list the ingredients and I can''t find them online. The bottle only says that it has Isopropanal (which I think is alcohol). Does anyone know if this cleaner is safe to use? My ring is white gold. I spray one or two sprays right on the diamond and then clean it off with a soft cloth.

Thank you,
Joyful

kd60109.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh! Interesting. Do you have a link for the cleaner? I''ll go look it up. There are some "uh-oh" ingredients especially for white gold (like ammonia, which can eat away the rhodium plating faster than usual).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:56:32 PM
Author: musey
Huh! Interesting. Do you have a link for the cleaner? I''ll go look it up. There are some ''uh-oh'' ingredients especially for white gold (like ammonia, which can eat away the rhodium plating faster than usual).
Yeah, I can''t find an ingredients listing. Does it say on the bottle?
shrug1.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, ammonia is bad for white gold? Interesting! I thought ammonia-containing cleaning products (such as the original Handy Andy?) were good for using in ultrasonics? I''ve heard that from a variety of people.

I''m surious to know what other alternative cleaning products / constituents would work better / more safely?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 9:43:11 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Hmm, ammonia is bad for white gold? Interesting! I thought ammonia-containing cleaning products (such as the original Handy Andy?) were good for using in ultrasonics? I've heard that from a variety of people.

I'm surious to know what other alternative cleaning products / constituents would work better / more safely?

Ammonia strips the rhodium plating off white gold.

I usually use a dash of detergent, hot water and a capful of ammonia soak and then scrub clean with a soft clean tooth brush then dry with paper cloth and a hair dryer - gets mine clean :).

As for the SGH cleaner I couldn't tell you I can't see the ingredients anywhere.

ETA: Beautiful ring
30.gif

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
i''m no expert, but i would assume it''s safe - after all, sunglass and eyeglass lenses are incredibly delicate (as far as scratching and anti-reflective coatings go--even windex and paper towel are too harsh and can scratch them). it seems that a spray cleaner formulated to be gentle enough for this purpose is more than likely not going to do your ring any harm.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I use a similar product on my loose gemstones. These cleansers are usually mostly isopropanol which is to my knowledge safe for all hard stones (NOT pearls or opals) and metals.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get cleaners that traditionally have ammonia in them (like Windex) without it here in The States.

joyful

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I think the SGH Lens Cleaner is almost all isopropanal (alcohol) and that it should be ok. I hope so!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The cleaner will definitely make your diamond look wonderful -- but it will eventually wear the plating off of your WG. You could try putting the cleaner on a cloth and surface dabbing your stones.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you could use isopropanol in the ultrasonic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results