shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunburn. Swelling tips?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OK. I know. I know. But let''s get past the whole don''t go into the sun thing (for 6 hours on Friday without SPF...again, I know!!! LOL and after you''ve been using products that make you photosensitive)....I never burn really, but it''s been a while. A very very long while. I don''t want wrinkles. That said...

I went to the Dr who indicated what the lovely and talented Ms. Belle said...Motrin 800 mg 3X day. No sun poisoning. BUT, the swelling pain is unbearable. The heat is out of the burns thanks to vinegar and milk and baking soda compresses and soaks. I think my legs and arms are going to explode. You can actually see a "hang over" on top of my elbows (the skin is swollen and hanging over!).... and knees. I''ve been keeping compresses on and legs elevated. Going to a move now bc I have to get out.

Any home-made advice for swelling? I SO wanted a nice steroid shot but he didn''t suggest it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you send hubby out to pick up some Aloe Vera gels or lotions?? I'd even put one in the fridge and let it get cold and then apply it. They are very soothing for sunburn. My daughter got a bad burn right before her graduation, (yes I could have rung her neck)
11.gif
but Aloe Vera products helped a lot. That and Motrin. Also a nice cold bath, helps. I won't yell at ya since you learned your lesson. I hate getting burned, it sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I worked Burns & Plastics in a major trauma center for 10 years, and for this "type/depth" of burn, we would apply cool saline compresses to affected areas, dermabase to moisturize. If blisters form, please don''t pop them, if possible, just let them absorb on their own. You already have (nsaid) pain meds on board...and if I rightly recall giving steriods was not part of the post burn treatment plan anyway.

Hope you feel better soon!! I know how painful sunburns can be!!

cheers--Sharon

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no remedies to add that haven't been mentioned, but I feel your pain, and sunburn pain is SO not nice.

Oh, maybe I do have something to add.......drink lots of cool liquids!

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of ice water... And the aloe vera chilled is a good idea. *Ouch*--sorry to hear you''re baked. I''ve been there--so NOT fun. Good news is that by Tues or Wed., you''ll feel much better. Cool oatmeal baths can help too.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!!....I have a huge aloe plant in the fridge and it''s been awesome. I''ve also been using aquafor (I think that''s how it''s spelled)....and solarciane....and oatmeal creme.....and and and LOL...So many things. I feel better in terms of sunburn pain...but the swelling pain hurts like a mo fo....Well, I went to a movie (devil wears prada which was so cute btw) and I looked down when the lights came back on and saw tree trunks! I have CANKLES!!!L LOL... My legs and ankles are so swollen....the ankels pitt when pressed...If it''s this bad tomorrow I''ll go back to the dr...a little scary...But thanks for all the advice! This is one for the memory books!

Canuk- I can''t even imagine working where you worked. Bless your heart. I can''t imagine what you saw and the horror that those poor people experienced...
17.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
It''s good the movie distracted you for a short while! I''m glad to hear it was worthwhile seeing as I have been considering going.

Take good care of yourself!
emrose.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw Prada too. Very cute. I have done the cold aloe vera gel thing and it''s so blissfully AWESOME. Hope it gets better soon...

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Moremoremore ~
emrose.gif

Oh No! I am very sorry to hear about your awful sunburn and swelling!
6.gif

Yucko!

I am very fair skinned, and when I was young you could only get spf 45 with a prescription. I remember all those times that the 45 was not enough! Back then they didn''t have waterproof, I remember blisters bigger than silver dollars everwhere! One time when I went to Japan ... oh my ... my blisters had blisters ... had to go to the hospital, and I remember the doctor yelling at my mother in Japanese because I was so burned (I didn''t really understand what he was saying, but he was making my mom cry, and I did understand her appologizing to him) ... we have learned so much since the early 70''s!

*Definately drink plenty of liquids.

*Cool clean bread towels dampened and then slightly frozen to drape over your skin.

*Do the aloe verra! Lay naked w/aloe gel infront of the fan on low or med. this will help!

*Depending on where you are burned, blistered, and swelling, try to keep your legs, or what ever part that is swollen ... elevated!

*Do not try to put on "cremes" they will clog your skin ... you can have a higher chance of getting an infection w/ cremes on your burns/blisters.

*You need to make sure that if it isn''t getting better, go back to the doctor, you can develop cellulitis ... and that wouldn''t be good either.

I do hope the swelling goes down, and your able to feel more comfortable. Take care, and keep us posted.

35.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
EEEKkkkk.. I hate sunburn.. I have no advice.. except aloe Aloe and Aloe... I am sorry.. Hope you feel better really soon!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2006 10:50:41 PM
Author: moremoremore

Canuk- I can''t even imagine working where you worked. Bless your heart. I can''t imagine what you saw and the horror that those poor people experienced...
17.gif
HI MMM:

This was a very kind thing for you to say, thank you
face6.gif

Isn''t the edema (swelling) a drag? As the fluids shift from one compartment to the other you will experience some swelling, so as MDJ points out elevation of (dependent) limbs is necessary. Because the "true" depth of a burn is often not realized up to 48 hours after exposure, you may want to revisit your MD to ensure you have received all treatment that is appropriate, and then they can reassess areas that may (or may not) require topical nonsteroidal medication intervention (e.g. flamazine creme).

Take care!!

cheers--Sharon

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
thanks peeps! i''m hangin in there....

Question Canuk- I went to the dr yesterday at about the 48 hour mark. Skin itself feels 100% better. I kept my legs elevated all night and this morning they were pretty good (not too swollen)...Well, all of a sudden, I feel my left leg swelling up again....skin is really tight again....I guess I''m just nervous b/c I went to a clinic and didn''t ask too many questions...the swelling is normal? Even though the burn was friday? And e.t I''m on 800 mg motrin 3X day?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call the Doc and ask. That's what I would do. And do it before he/she leaves for the 4th!! Good luck and let us know what he/she said.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 2:27:48 PM
thanks peeps! i'm hangin in there....

Question Canuk- I went to the dr yesterday at about the 48 hour mark. Skin itself feels 100% better. I kept my legs elevated all night and this morning they were pretty good (not too swollen)...Well, all of a sudden, I feel my left leg swelling up again....skin is really tight again....I guess I'm just nervous b/c I went to a clinic and didn't ask too many questions...the swelling is normal? Even though the burn was friday? And e.t I'm on 800 mg motrin 3X day?
Hi Moremoremore ~
face23.gif

This is a good sign! I would be very concerned if after a nights rest and legs being elevated that you did not see any improvement.

The reason why you "all of a sudden" feel like your leg is swelling up again, is because ... your getting up and doing things (gravity happens) ... like most people normally would. What you need to realize is that you are not your normal self after being burned severely. When you notice that you have been up doing things, and your legs start feeling tight, and uncomfortable ... that is your "stop sign" to tell yourself, to go take a break and put them up for a while.
2.gif

Everyones body will handle sunburn differently. And the body doesn't recover nearly as fast as we would like it to.
38.gif
Canuk is correct about the skin burning ... just think of a microwave. Even though you only cook a piece of meat for 1 minute, it will still continue to "cook" for a few minutes afterwards. Cooks on the outside to inside, etc...

So, it is common to see a patient that is burned at onset, and then 48 hours after see blisteres forming ... because when initially seen the skin is still "cooking and hot".
39.gif

If you do not see additional improvement, or a certain part of your body starts to get more painful, more tender, red or develop a rash, or hot to the touch when it wasn't before ... Go see the Doctor!

You will be more at risk once the skin tears from the excessive swelling and fluid retention (Or Scratching!), this will be an open door invitation for any bacteria to enter at that site. That is why they say "not to pop!" Your skin is acting like a bandaid right now ... keeping out all the germs.

Just keep taking it easy, try to stay off your feet, apply cool compresses to your legs
12.gif
... and I always like the idea of have a spray bottle filled with aloe vera jel solution ... spay it on affected parts (I personally like the spay instead of trying to pat some on ... it already hurts ... I want to not touch it if at all possible), and sit in front of a fan with as little clothes on as possible ... and enjoy a cool non-alcoholic drink. Let others do the house work if possible.

Being sunburn is the pits! I hope you feel better soon!
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2006 2:27:48 PM
thanks peeps! i'm hangin in there....

Question Canuk- I went to the dr yesterday at about the 48 hour mark. Skin itself feels 100% better. I kept my legs elevated all night and this morning they were pretty good (not too swollen)...Well, all of a sudden, I feel my left leg swelling up again....skin is really tight again....I guess I'm just nervous b/c I went to a clinic and didn't ask too many questions...the swelling is normal? Even though the burn was friday? And e.t I'm on 800 mg motrin 3X day?
HI MMM:

Certainly it is possible that the swelling is resulting from them not being elevated anymore--up overnight, then down for activities of daily living. You can test this hypothesis by seeing if your swelling subsides while you lie down and have your feel elevated above the level of your heart.

The inflammation phase of the wound healing or the body's immune reaction --classic observable signs redness, heat, pain, swelling and possible loss of function--lasts about 3-7 days. Technically speaking, local vasodialation is accompanied by perfusion and permability, which allows plasma proteins to migrate to surrounding tissue and bring nutrients back to the area--hence the swellling and beginning stages of healing. (info taken from a manual I wrote for students on burn wound healing in 2001).

If you are at all concerned about your level of health--and most certainly if you are feverish and generally unwell--reconsult your MD. I am not a MD and would never want my virtual information/assessment to take precidence over hands-on qualified medical intervention.
Do it for peace of mind.

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is more than just a sunburn....the description sounds like what people in a burn ward describe and go through!

skin is a remarkable body organ.....i''ve abused mine with repeated bouts of poison oak.....i didn''t know skin could swell and stretch so much or that it could ''weep'' to the point of seeming liquid. however, given time and proper care it does recover. i didn''t say its as good as new because anytime we abuse our skin to that point, there will be lasting effects that perhaps aren''t noticed until years later.

i would try taking a healing soak in a bath of comfrey tea....cooled comfrey tea, that is. but that''s me. comfrey is very very healing but i wouldn''t suggest you do it unless you''ve researched it and feel comfortable doing it.

movie zombie

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gosh MMM I don''t have any tips to add to what has already been said, but I certainly hope that you are doing better! I had several bad sunburns when I was younger and I can feel your pain (literally).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SO much to all of you!

Just in the way of an update, I went to the dr again and the swelling is noral swelling...it''s much better today anyway...witch hazel in a spray bottle is helping...I look like Rudolph b/c my nose peeled right off LOL...So gross. I was like is this Face Off? Shoulders still hurt like a mo fo but the hazel is helping...

Thanks again to all! you''ve all made me feel better! :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad you are feeling better MMM!!!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

So glad you are on the mend! Keep well!

cheers--Sharon

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you''re feeling better! I turn to Red Lobster in no time. I''ve gotten burned pretty badly before and I know the agony. I''m glad the witch hazel is helping. As for aloe, anything in a spray bottle is the way to go. Solarcaine definitely helps, but what makes me feel the best is aloe vera gel that has menthol in it (it''s usually blue.) Banana Boat makes my favorite one, but you can get it much cheaper with the generic store brands. Feel better!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
that stinks MMM
so sorry you had to suffer through that

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2006 10:50:41 PM
Thanks guys!!....I have a huge aloe plant in the fridge and it''s been awesome. I''ve also been using aquafor (I think that''s how it''s spelled)....and solarciane....and oatmeal creme.....and and and LOL...So many things. I feel better in terms of sunburn pain...but the swelling pain hurts like a mo fo....Well, I went to a movie (devil wears prada which was so cute btw) and I looked down when the lights came back on and saw tree trunks! I have CANKLES!!!L LOL... My legs and ankles are so swollen....the ankels pitt when pressed...If it''s this bad tomorrow I''ll go back to the dr...a little scary...But thanks for all the advice! This is one for the memory books!

17.gif
MMM, that is called pitting edema. You can also tell how bad the burn is (not that you are wondering, clearly it is bad!) by pressing your skin, you see "white" instead of the burned color. The longer it takes for the "white" to go away the deeper the burn is. I feel asleep on my stomach in the summer in Los Angeles, in the the blaring sun with baby oil on...the backs of my legs were sooo burned I had to walk stiff legged like a toy soldier cause I could not bend my legs. I literally could not move. I have heard that tea (lipton? herbal?) boiled and cooled in the bags is good, I know for swollen eyes, too hard over the whole body...but maybe if you made a big batch of tea, cooled it and then poured it in the tub? I think the tannins help with the swelling? (I have no medical training so if I am wrong anyone can correct me)...also, anything that ends in CAINE and is topical (like Solarcaine) will have a temporary anesthetic effect, but I found they hurt like crap to get on in because they are so cold. But worth it for temporary relief if you are desperate. Thank god you do not have sun poisoning...feel better!!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Feeling much better today. Very little swelling. Only *very* sore on shouolders and backs of arms...but other than that, I think the worst is over....Well, unless you count ITCHING!!! OH LORD I HAVE ANTS IN MY PANTS LOL....I feel little stinging itchies all over. And the peeling is oh so lovely!!! Hello SPF, my new BFF!!! :)

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Oh poor thing the itching is the worst! Once it got so bad my parents drove me to Walgreens at midnight to get some Benadryl because they thought I was having a reaction. The pharmacist said that by using soap in the shower I irritated the skin, and until it healed a bit it would be best to take soapless showers. =) Kinda gross I know (I''m the person who has to take a shower or bath every day) but if you''re itching maybe that will help? What do you think girls? I have heard something about tea...Good luck dear and believe it or not you are improving!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m glad your feeling better... soaks in Aveno Oatmeal bath''s help me. And Lidocaine lotions. And calamine lotion. And for some reason... watermelon juice helps me. Umm... drinking it.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Moremoremore ~
emrose.gif

I am glad you are feeling a little bit better! I know what you mean about "ants in yer'' pants!"
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif

One year I was in 4th grade, our neighbor was into herbal remedies, and suggested to my parents that if they really wanted to help my sunburn they needed to fill the tub up with pickles juice and vinegar. I never liked that neighbor after that particular bathing experience!
38.gif
39.gif
29.gif

Hang in there ... it will soon be over!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results