carat
color
clarity

Summer Blockbusters

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Has anyone seen anything yet? I saw "Thor" (non 3D version) with my family this weekend--I enjoyed the popcorn! :bigsmile:

What movies are folks planning on seeing?

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! The only movie I really want to see is Bridesmaids. I'll probably see Hangover 2 also.

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Thor - saw the 3D version - not sure 3D was really necessary? A lot of the action-y scenes were a little hard to follow with the 3d stuff going on - and those glasses always have a seam right over the bridge of my nose and that is all I can think about the whole movie!! The rest of the movie was pretty good - especially for a summer "blockbuster" -- the guy who plays Thor was pretty cute too :naughty:

Something Borrowed - I would say that no one should see this, maybe if it is on TV on a Sunday and it is raining and there isn't anything else on? This is the second movie that I've seen recently (first being Bride Wars) where Kate Hudson plays a really unlikeable character. Not sure it really qualifies as blockbuster - but it did just come out ;))

I really, really want to see Bridesmaids!! I'll probably see Hangover 2 when it comes out. I might see Priest (sucker for Paul Bettany) and any of the other comic book hero movies -- although Green Lantern is looking SOOOO cheesy, not sure even Ryan Reynolds (who I think is hilarious!) can pull that off.

I'll have to google some upcoming movies -- there was one preview at something I saw recently that looked really interesting but now I can't remember it...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Water for Elephants and I LOVED IT!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
HARRY POTTER!!! :) The excitement I have for that movie is kind of ridiculous!

Transformers, Green Lantern, Captain America, Hangover, Bridesmaids...just to name a few.

I like movies.

I saw Thor..not in 3D (I could do without 3D especially since my eyes don't focus well enough for it) and I liked it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good start! I think this comment should go in the "old married people's advice" thread--:cuz 26 years ago I wouldn't have considered seeing Terminator or Thor or Die Hard; now I think that genre are pretty entertaining!

Ya, that Aussy Thor had me when he changed into those red tab Levis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lickout: Who needs 3D???? :bigsmile:

Looking forward to HO2 and HArry Potter, IronMan and a few others. We often take in matinees, saves $$$.

cheers--Sharon

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I got so excited I missed the Planning to see part -

Harry Potter - DUH

Pirates of the Caribbean

Fast Five

The Green Hornet

Transformers - I love Shia

I have to say Water For Elephants... it's harsh... but such a good story, and Rob is just.... just... :-o :love: :cheeky: :love: :love: :naughty:

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I saw Bridesmaids, and I thought that it was really funny. I also plan to see the Hangover 2 and Friends with Benefits.

I really love comedies and romantic comedies, can't you tell? :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Green Hornet was.... Eh. We went with FI's company and saw it in a 3D Imax theater before it was released and both REALLY wished we had skipped the 3D and just seen the regular. Lots of other guys commented that they got headaches from the 3D also.

Bad 3D headaches aside, the movie was so-so. It had some interesting moments but the story was pretty weak. Also not true to the original story. Worth seeing once (not 3D!!!!) maybe, but certainly not great.

Just watched Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader this weekend and it was very good. Followed the original BBC mostly (not sure how it compares to book) with a few changes, but they were good and kept the story interesting. The picture quality from the blu-ray was just stunning on 110" screen. Beautiful details through the whole movie. I'd happily watch it again!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
GamerGirl|1305555625|2922988 said:
Something Borrowed - I would say that no one should see this, maybe if it is on TV on a Sunday and it is raining and there isn't anything else on? This is the second movie that I've seen recently (first being Bride Wars) where Kate Hudson plays a really unlikeable character. Not sure it really qualifies as blockbuster - but it did just come out ;))

GamerGirl,
You didn't like it? I am curious bc I wanted to see it but I loved the books so much I am not sure if I will enjoy the movie. I saw that Kate Hudson was playing 'Darcy' and I thought it was an odd choice. She is NOTHING like what I pictured when I read the series. Darcy, in the book had dark hair with dark/tanned skin and features. Kate looks NOTHING like how Darcy is described in the series. I dont think I can get past that. Thanks for the heads-up. I think I will wait for it on DVD.

Abd to add, the character becomes much more likeable in the next book "Something Blue".

Harry Potter...I am SOOOOO excited to see the final movie. It's funny that my 6yr old and I are equally excited about a movie.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Fast Five
I saw it with FI and in my opinion it was the best of the series by a landslide.

Harry Potter
I am psyched to see it with a big group of friends at midnight. It's the only way its fun.

Pirates 4
Probably will go see this with FI and his parents.

Transformers 3
Really excited about this one, I loved Transformers 2.

Bridesmaids
I was just a bridesmaid in an almost stereotypically crazy wedding so i'm super psyched to see it with a friend of mine who will be visiting from Ohio.

Hangover 2
I thought that the first one was ridiculously funny so this is a must see date night movie for FI and I.

Rio
Not so much a summer blockbuster, but I thought it was one of the best animated films i've seen in a long time.

Wow, that's a lot of movies but i'm super excited! :appl: :appl:

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
So far, I have seen Thor, Bridesmaids, Fast Five, and Water for Elephants.
I LOVED Water for Elephants.

I also really liked Bridesmaids. I have to warn you though, it is pretty umm crude. I enjoyed it, but I know people who would be offended with the amount of cursing and other odd humor. It is a WILD movie. I was expecting it to be pretty crazy from the previews, but it was even crazier than I thought. DH was like :knockout: when he heard I wanted to see it (he didn't remember the previews, just thought :knockout: based on the name) but he was DYING from laughter during the movie.

I like superhero type movies - Xmen, Batman etc so I was excited to see Thor. It was really good. Plus, he is really hot, IMO, so that is a plus :cheeky:

Fast Five was the best of the Fast and the Furious movies. It was still a little unrealistic, but it is enjoyable, if you know what to expect.

I can't wait for XMen, The Hangover 2, and Captain America. I will probably see Transformers, but I am my hopes are not high, as I really hated the last movie (but really liked the first one.)

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
lbbaber|1305573308|2923254 said:
GamerGirl|1305555625|2922988 said:

GamerGirl,
You didn't like it? I am curious bc I wanted to see it but I loved the books so much I am not sure if I will enjoy the movie. I saw that Kate Hudson was playing 'Darcy' and I thought it was an odd choice. She is NOTHING like what I pictured when I read the series. Darcy, in the book had dark hair with dark/tanned skin and features. Kate looks NOTHING like how Darcy is described in the series. I dont think I can get past that. Thanks for the heads-up. I think I will wait for it on DVD.

Yeah - I really didn't like it - and I have liked some bad movies! Out of the 3 of us that went to this 2 of us didn't like it (the other girl hated it more than me ) and one girl LOVED it - so I guess take it as you will? Keeping in mind that none of us had read any of the books (didn't even know there were books). But Darcy is just SUCH a caustic character that I wanted her to get hit by a truck. I thought the main girl needed a good slap to wake her up from being a doormat and I wasn't rooting for ANYONE to end up with anyone else - the only person in the whole movie I liked was the guy from the office. I was hoping this would be a good one as I really like the main actress (she is from "He's just not into you" movie) and I liked Kate Hudson in How To Lose A Guy -- but I just couldn't get on board with the characters or the premise (don't want to get into it TOO much in case some folks are still planning to go and don't know the story).

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
iugurl|1305575328|2923290 said:
I LOVED Water for Elephants.
I liked it a lot too - even though the treatment of animals (and people!) was really hard to watch for me.

I like superhero type movies - Xmen, Batman etc so I was excited to see Thor. It was really good. Plus, he is really hot, IMO, so that is a plus :cheeky:
same here! I love superhero movies!! and Thor WAS hot. :naughty:

I can't wait for XMen, The Hangover 2, and Captain America. I will probably see Transformers, but I am my hopes are not high, as I really hated the last movie (but really liked the first one.)
Ooo- I forgot about Xmen and Captain America -- I will definitely go to those. I'll probably also see Transformers (part of it was filmed at the art museum in town) with equally low expectations!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we're going to POTC this weekend. That will be our first movie since..Avatar I think. Sad. Anyway, it's JOHNNY DEPP. :love: I'm going to spend the evening pretending I'm Penelope Cruz..maybe I'll spend the night thinking that too. :naughty:

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I saw Bridesmaids with the girls last Friday, Melissa McCarthy was simply hysterical!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh ya, we have to go to all the Marvel comic movies--it was part of my marriage vows! :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
not a summer movie,(but its snowing right now where im at so its not summer just yet!)i just saw Arthur at the dollar movie theater and it had its funny moments and worth 2 bucks.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I forgot that Kung Fu Panda 2 is coming out. I have to see it!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Saw Pirates yesterday; we couldn't decide between Pirates and Hangover so we saw the former. Kinda meh....and long. But we had passes so I didn't feel it was a waste of an afternoon. (popcorn was good!)

My son saw F & F F and said it was the best of the franchise. I'll wait to see it as a DVD rental--I mean how much car chasing, blowing up, and Vin Deisel can be original???? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Pirates of the Caribbean: It was a lackluster sequel to an otherwise fun and exciting franchise. It has a slow beginning and while it does pick up a bit, it's never really exciting nor fun. The exception is the mermaids which were beautifully creepy.

Thor: I really enjoyed it! It's action packed and Thor was really easy on the eyes. The special effects and the set design were well done as well.

Kung Fu Panda: Very similar to the first movie but I liked the first movie so it was a good thing. The animation is stand out as you are taken on an adventure that is both fun and visually stimulating.

On my list for the rest of the summer:
Cars 2
Xmen prequel
Transformers 3 (or 4)
Bridesmaids
Harry Potter

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I usually just wait until new movies come out in the redbox so I only have to pay $1.

Less money spent on movies=more money for bling! :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pirates wasn't anything to write home about..whatever, it's a reason to see a ginormous Johnny Depp in front of me so beggars can't be choosers eh?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw bridesmaids and it was cute and fun. Not something that will stick with your for a long time, but a great movie- I didn't feel I wasted my $10 after seeing it!
I want to see bad teacher and the help. And water for elephants. And snow flower and the secret fan.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Saw Harry Potter and Captain America while on vacay. Enjoyed the former......
Would have seen the Smurfs with my nephews, but one of kinda scared of the dark theatre.....

cheers--Sharon

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
We saw Horrible Bosses on a date night. It wasn't genius, but we did laugh the whole time. It was shocking and amusing to see Jennifer Aniston being so raunchy, and I always enjoy watching Kevin Spacey.

Tonight we're gonna watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's gotten good reviews and it sounds like smart sci-fi. Hopefully not over the top gruesome or violent, which I'm not into. (With the exception of Zombieland, which I thought was freaky scary yet hilarious)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Saw HP7 the other day and loved it. I'm not really willing to spend money on movies at the theatre very often. However, I REALLY want to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Also, can't wait for Hunger Games!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny|1312661524|2985541 said:
Saw HP7 the other day and loved it. I'm not really willing to spend money on movies at the theatre very often. However, I REALLY want to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

My DH wants to see this too!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1312675541|2985652 said:
somethingshiny|1312661524|2985541 said:

My DH wants to see this too!

Go see it, it's really good!!!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed the new X-men and Transformers 3. Planet of the Apes was AWESOME!!!! This movie was very engaging. I Loved it! Didn't catch Captain America yet or Cowboys and Aliens yet. Green Lantern...I should have waited for video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results