shape
carat
color
clarity

Suite of Aquas from Richard Homer On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Dear Colored Stone Gurus,

First of all big thanks to Gailey, Ma Re, Chrono, Novel for helping me in my search for stones.
Here are the stones I chose for a pair of two stone aqua diamond halo earrings, I am considering having Ocean Pearlman create the earrings from the suite below for my Fiance to wear during our Beach wedding. My only concern is the octagonal shape of the square cushions and that they will match well with the rectangular cushions. Will let you all know with more pictures when I see them. I hope I like the Richard Homer concave cuts IRL as much as I like them in the photographs.

Thanks again,
CCL

aqua suite face up.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Face down shot.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
:)

Aqua suite table down.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
They look beautiful! Your fiancee is very lucky to be marrying someone as thoughtful as you. I think the two stones will work well, particularly if the rectangular one is above, and the square one dangles below it. Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely suite, look forward to the end product.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, with those you can really achieve a unique design - very nice!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Nice stones.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stones. If you like Richard Homer stones in photos, you will love them in person. You can only see the concave facets do their sparkle thing live and in person. Wow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
CCL, I''m glad to have been of service. Your stones look amazing and I have absolutely no doubt that Ocean will build you some beautiful earrings. She is an absolute peach to work with.

I did a lot of research on PS about halos and came to the conclusion that there were two masters of the discipline: Leon and Ocean.

Please keep us posted as your project progresses.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Those should make some fabulous earrings! Keep us posted as to the design.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Wow, those look great - I''m guessing Ocean will work her lovely pave magic? Do you see the setting as being more or less elaborate and ornate? I feel like these could handle a really ornate design but then I also would want the cutting genius to shine through in a simple setting.

It''s funny that Austen thought that the rectangular one should be on top and the square one below because I immediate saw the opposite when I saw the photos. Have you decided on orientation and placement of the stones?

Look forward to seeing the finished result, and I''m sure your fiance will be pleased as punch.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! Let us know how you like them when you see them.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look just LOVELY!! How thoughtful to put all this effort into a pair of earrings! Please share your photos once you get the stones!!
21.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 1:13:48 PM
Author: litebrite
Wow, those look great - I''m guessing Ocean will work her lovely pave magic? Do you see the setting as being more or less elaborate and ornate? I feel like these could handle a really ornate design but then I also would want the cutting genius to shine through in a simple setting.

It''s funny that Austen thought that the rectangular one should be on top and the square one below because I immediate saw the opposite when I saw the photos. Have you decided on orientation and placement of the stones?

Look forward to seeing the finished result, and I''m sure your fiance will be pleased as punch.
Me too. I was picturing the squares turned on their points (kite set), with the rectangles dangling lengthwise below.

I bet the stones will look fabulous in person. What a thoughful gift!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful and if you go with Ocean, I''m sure they will be some fantastic earrings! I can''t wait to see them when they are done.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:21:00 PM
Author: Kay

Date: 10/5/2009 1:13:48 PM
Author: litebrite

Me too. I was picturing the squares turned on their points (kite set), with the rectangles dangling lengthwise below.

I bet the stones will look fabulous in person. What a thoughful gift!
Its interesting you mention the Kite orientation I asked my Fiance about it before she wasn''t sure she liked it. Here are the the two major design pictures I am still open to other suggestions though.

aquaearringsdesign.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones!!! can''t wait to see the finished piece

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
The stones look great! I''m so glad it worked out. Good luck with the pieces!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 7:28:28 AM
Author: AustenNut
They look beautiful! Your fiancee is very lucky to be marrying someone as thoughtful as you. I think the two stones will work well, particularly if the rectangular one is above, and the square one dangles below it. Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces!
Have you seen that design anywhere? I haven''t seen any where the smaller stone is on the bottom but I would like to see it. I had also asked to have the bottom detachable for a "day" version so having the bigger stone for the day part would have its advantages.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 3:53:31 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Have you seen that design anywhere? I haven''t seen any where the smaller stone is on the bottom but I would like to see it. I had also asked to have the bottom detachable for a ''day'' version so having the bigger stone for the day part would have its advantages.
Hi CCL

I was wondering how I can get in touch with Ocean Pearlman? Also I hope you don''t mind me asking, if you know the answer, if she''s dearer than Leon?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Have you seen that design anywhere? I haven''t seen any where the smaller stone is on the bottom but I would like to see it. I had also asked to have the bottom detachable for a ''day'' version so having the bigger stone for the day part would have its advantages.

I was curious about this too so I searched a few antique sites and found very few dangling earrings where the top element was larger than the bottom element. In all cases the top element was some sort of floral or fan shape and the bottom was a cabochon briolette and those were more of a victorian style rather than the deco style that CCL has going.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCL,
It’s going to look gorgeous! What a great idea to have a double stone dangle earrings.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 5:57:18 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi CCL

I was wondering how I can get in touch with Ocean Pearlman? Also I hope you don''t mind me asking, if you know the answer, if she''s dearer than Leon?
If you google "Ocean Rose Pearlman llc", you will come up with her contact details.

Dianabanana said that Ocean was more expensive than Leon. I don''t recall if they were quoting identical designs though. Maybe she will chime in.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful, and I love your design ideas!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 10:24:59 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 10/6/2009 5:57:18 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi CCL

If you google ''Ocean Rose Pearlman llc'', you will come up with her contact details.

Dianabanana said that Ocean was more expensive than Leon. I don''t recall if they were quoting identical designs though. Maybe she will chime in.
Gaily,

Regarding Ocean Versus Leon Versus Other:

1) Leon prefers to work in Platinum, I was concerned about the weight of the earrings, Leon said "It would be a travesty to use WhiteGold on an heirloom piece such as this due to durability issues." Originally when I sent the project to Leon his initial platinum quote was cheaper but he ignored the detachable part, the hidden loops, it had less gram weight of metal and he wanted to use rounds like these http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=283&mode=search and ignored the stones I had posted in the file. Once I spoke with him further on the phone having the bottom earring detachable, using lever backs, using the Richard Homer stones (which he said were too modern for the design in his opinion) the cost would have been significantly more expensive. Sometimes I think Leon prices himself out of a project when its clear the client specifically requests extra added details deviating from his original designs. In the end of our conversation Leon wanted me to consider these instead and said the overall cost would be much less http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=498&mode=search nice earrings but just not what my fiance wants. Leon''s prices are quite reasonable if you want an exact copy of one of his already completed designs and don''t need to micromanage any of the details.

2) Ocean prefers to work in 18K WhiteGold and was significantly cheaper than Leon for 18K White Gold, it does seem however that her labour cost for platinum pieces is much higher and it is because of her not using platinum regularly. Extra steps like a casting shell, and the requirement to use tools that are completely white gold free to avoid contamination. Ocean said she is flexible in her platinum quote and may come down a little so I suspect for most pave work projects her price would eventually be the same or cheaper than Leon but I am leaning towards WG anyway, my fiance would not like heavy earrings.

3) My project was rejected by Whiteflash as they were worried that could not complete the project to the level of detail that I had requested and were concerned about the shape of the square cushions being that they are slightly octagonal.

4) Kauffman De Suissie (we have one local) also rejected the project likely because of the level of detail I requested. Kauffman De Suisse made up some nonsense about rejecting the project due to my request for 14k White Gold but I also said or platinum so I knew the real reason and I suspect its because they use CAD/CAM and casting and they weren''t sure they could satisfy a demanding customer like myself. I submitted it out of curiositiy as I was sure their pricepoint would be out of the ballpark.

5) I consulted with other CAD/CAM casting designers who had no trouble completing the design and they were slightly cheaper in platinum but more expensive in 18K White Gold and they weren''t as careful with the fine details.

Overall I was most confident in Ocean''s understanding of the project and I trusted her to stay closest to my vision. With all other jewler''s I was pushing them to appreciate the fine details and remember them whereas with her she was just knew what I wanted, I only had to ask questions.

Ocean also has the most impeccable customer service skills and is able to source quality single cut melee more easil than the others so the choice became easy in the end.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well there''s definitely a lot of extra baggage you have to take into account when you choose Leon, you will have seen all the threads. That being said, I have never seen a Leon piece that I didn''t love and I don''t think I have ever read about poor workmanship from him.

His TOB offend some, as does his attitude. Neither of those would put me off if I was set on him. That being said I have had no significant dealings with him.

I have had lengthy e-conversations with Ocean and she is an absolute delight and I think she will execute your project beautifully. To clarify, the only reason that my project with her has not progressed is because of issues with my centre stone (nothing to do with Ocean), and I ran out of time to devote to the project before my working season began.

You mentioned one thing that set alarm bells ringing in my head and that was about weight. Trust me, no woman wants to end up with saggy ear lobes, no matter how fabulous the earrings, so choice of metal ought to take overall weight into consideration.

Both 14K and 18K white gold are routinely rhodium plated. I asked Wink, other than cost, was their any noticeable difference between the two. His reply (and I quote) was "None". Begs the question, why spring for 18k when to all intents and purposes it looks the same as 14K. Now I understand you are creating a very special piece for what will probably be one of the most significant moments in both of your livesl, so your choice of metal may want to reflect that. But I still wouldn''t want to run the risk of saggy lobes for the sake of creating an heirloom.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I LOVE them all!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gailey and informative post CCL.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would stay away from 14kt white gold for a fabricated piece as it is a pain to work with properly. A very talented goldsmith once called it "the devil''s armpit material" for a good reason
3.gif
I think that any materials costs saved would have to be made up in labour cost.

It works well for casting, though.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I love the detachable second stone idea - how would it work if it's a leverback as pictured in the first drawing versus a stud earring? (Sorry if my terminology is off - layman's terms.) I've seen other dangles on CS that have loops at the top that studs slide through so I get how that works.

Also, I kinda like the pave circle as pictured in the photo on the right, but think the shape that would work better for these stones is a kite. It doesn't even have to be a large pave kite, it could just be a small kite shaped stone that is larger than the pave link connecting the two large stones. The kite would still be between round brilliant pave.

example pic

split danglebetter example pic

I also found another inspiration type pic that may be interesting with the bottom dangle: split dangle

I'm sure whatever you pick will be gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results