shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for small stones

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm talking about 22 red spinels.

I have 14 that will be put into an eternity band and 2 more that I want to make studs with. But that leaves me with 22 that I really have no idea what to do with. So I'm hoping that you have some suggestions! They vary a little bit in size: 2-2.5mm and they are all round. I'm leaning towards making a necklace, but I'm certainly open to ideas!

Attaching a picture of all 24.

Please help!

IMG_1590 freke.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big are they when they're all together? The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Tsav necklace that is graduated in colour. If you teamed the spinels with a slighter lighter pink stone and graduated, that would be lovely.

Edit: Just realised you had posted measurements. So a row of 5 would be around 12.5mm?.

Garnet Tsavorite Daylight2.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How about a station necklace in the same metal as your eternity band and earrings. It would make quite the set.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for a cool pendant along the lines of Gypsy's and LD's, in rose gold to go w/the eternity band.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1312148957|2981221 said:
How big are they when they're all together? The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Tsav necklace that is graduated in colour. If you teamed the spinels with a slighter lighter pink stone and graduated, that would be lovely.

Edit: Just realised you had posted measurements. So a row of 5 would be around 12.5mm?.
I love your necklace. They are quite small I feel like, but I was thinking something similar. They don't graduate in color as much as your tsavs, and they certainly aren't really even enough in size...I was playing with them a little bit and made kind of a star shaped thing.

They look pink here...they aren't.

red spinels star.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1312146835|2981208 said:
I'm talking about 22 red spinels.

I have 14 that will be put into an eternity band and 2 more that I want to make studs with. But that leaves me with 22 that I really have no idea what to do with. So I'm hoping that you have some suggestions! They vary a little bit in size: 2-2.5mm and they are all round. I'm leaning towards making a necklace, but I'm certainly open to ideas!

Attaching a picture of all 24.

Please help!

Make something in the shape of a cupcake, duh!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see them in a "spinels by the yard" necklace. A really long necklace, like one that goes down past chest level, that you could even wrap around your neck twice for a shorter look, could make use of all of the stones. Maybe 36 inches or so, with the spinels evenly spaced.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking that too Jstar. I fear for doing it in rose gold because of the cost. :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$):

Ugh.

My first thought for the ring was originally a "slash of color" across my finger. I was thinking about how to carry that over to a necklace, but I can't imagine anything to achieve that same feel...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You could do spinels by the yard in silver, or maybe silver with rose gold bezels?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Save money. Post the remaining 12 to me, and save on the setting costs. Postage is quite cheap. ;-)

I would do a vertical strip necklace, falling straight down in varying lengths if you have enough stones... you can set in sterling... should be cheapish and delicate. But I like delicate. Might take more than 12 spinels to achieve though

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
What about using 6 of them to make detachable dangles to go with your studs, and use the rest in a "random" patterned DBTY necklace: ie not evenly-spaced, and possibly a pendant centre to it...? I also fancy the idea of a long thin hairclip of a line of them: louche and luxe :twirl: Argentium would look wonderful with their colour. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If gold wasn't so astronomically high, those spinels would look amazing burnished set in a bracelet (this one is by Barbara Heinrich).

But, budget wise, I love the idea of a hairclip. I think hair jewelry is too often overlooked.

preil_VCVXXKQPIMD2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fear the problem really lies with the cost of gold these days, otherwise the suggestions will be endless.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1312302415|2982363 said:
I fear the problem really lies with the cost of gold these days, otherwise the suggestions will be endless.

True, specially since the beautiful red cries out for yellow gold.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How about a pendant that doubles a brooch? You could do a freeform shape like a spiral.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are coming up with a ton of great ideas! I hadn't even thought of a hairclip!

I feel like the cost of gold is really what's holding me back at this point. I can't even really picture them being set in silver--they are just too red!

Tristan! Don't you get any ideas!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely yellow gold for these little guys. Wow, hairclip? Where will you wear such a thing? I don't see many people wearing jeweled items like that anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results