shape
carat
color
clarity

SUGGESTIONS FOR NEWBIE TO INTERNET DIAMOND BUYING!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Discovery2

Rough_Rock
Here my story...
I have been slowly learning about diamonds for the past few months. I never considered buying over the internet until I ran across this forum and have read up on all this GREAT INFO! Now, after learning about return policies and better yet, having the option to ship it to an appraiser, I think that it might be a great way to go to get the best price possible.
I realize that you guys (and gals!) get these posts all the time, but here goes anyway!
I am looking for: BR - 1.7-1.9 ct - "Ideal cut?" - G/VS2
Budget: $13,000-$15,000 (might be able to stretch a little more, for my DREAM STONE!)
Here is one that I liked, but doesn''t seem to have all the good info supplied like the diamonds on Goodoldgold.com?
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-492203.htm#
Can I get the isee2, b-scope, sarin, ideal-scope, firescope from Whiteflash.com?
Should I even focus on these tools or are the cut numbers enough to make a "pre-viewing-lets-get-this-stone-in-to-look-at" decision?
On the pricescope search this diamond showed up for around $1000.00 less for "pricscope visitors only"? When I clicked on the link, it takes me to WF.com and gives their price.
Can I get the cheaper price?
I know...a little long, but I have SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!
Any internet buying advice and some diamond suggestions for my budget would be greatly appreciated!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS.

Yes you can get the PS price just mention it to them if you order it.

Whiteflash gives you enough information to make an informed decision but does not provide as much information as goodoldgold.com.
Whiteflashes ACA line is mostly sold on reputation where goodoldgold sells diamonds based on a ton of tests.
While there sales practices may be at the oppisite ends of the spectrum the quality of the diamonds is not.
You can get awesome diamonds from both of them.
It boils down to if you are comfortable with reputation/limited data or reputation/ton of data.

Really to me im comfortable with both and it would come down to who has the diamond I want at the right price.

thefridge

Rough_Rock
If you go to Whiteflash expert selection, they frequently have an ideal-scope image, sarin report, and GIA report which are very helpful.

I think you get a fair price and a quality diamond from either of these dealers.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
All you have to do when you contact White Flash is tell them you are a Price Scope Member. You will get discount pricing.

Brian Gavin, the cutter of ACA's, has worked extensively to get hard and fast Grading standards set for Hearts and Arrows. A diamond that falls short will not receive the ACA label. The WF Expert Selection diamonds are expertly evaluated and offer great value for quality, solid performers.

I beg to differ with Strm about the level of information provided by White Flash. The Brilliance Scope and ISee2 are useful tools but do not totally imitate or reflect performance in day to day life. Just because WF does not stand a diamond on it's table while a revolving arm flashes light from various positions does not mean there is not enough information to make an informed buying choice. WF gives you Sarin, an AGS Cert, Ideal Scope images, Hearts and Arrows Images, pics of the actual diamond, magnified pics to highlight inclusions.

WF will also ship to any number of Independent Appraisers without requiring payment in advance. You have a reasonable time frame to view, arrange for independent appraisal locally, and consider the diamond to allow for a return. WF will process a refund in a very timely fashion. They offer a buy back policy, and a life time upgrade policy as well. WF will not sell a diamond they would not own themselves.

Probably the best guarantee that WF gives is the word of Brian Gavin. Brian is totally honest in his descriptions of diamonds, their inclusions, how they face up, and how they perform. He will listen to what you are looking for and help you match a diamond to your personality and tastes. No amount of simulated performance testing can do that. Brian doesn't push the most expensive diamond on people either. Many people have called WF asking about 1 or 2 particular diamonds. Brian will pull those diamonds and sometimes an alternate he feels is equally great. Brian then discusses each stone with a buyer on the phone. Sometimes, Brian will advise people to go with an alternate that gives them the performance they seek, gets them a bigger diamond, and/or saves them money. I know, because he did this for me. I got a bigger diamond for less money by trusting Brian Gavin's eye. Brian has done the same for others that have posted on this forum. Brian Gavin truly loves each and every one of his diamonds and it shows.
1.gif

Edited to add: Both Jonathan at Good Old Gold and Brian Gavin are held in high esteem in the Diamond Industry. Jonathan is known for hand selecting some of the best cuts available from his suppliers. Brian Gavin is highly respected as a knowledgeable Cutter. It's really a win/win situation for the buyer from that perspective.
2.gif

Discovery2

Rough_Rock
Given a budget of 13k-15k would a G/VS2 be ones choice for a 1.75 ct round?
Can I get a very well cut stone and stay within these parameters?
Thanks for the replies strm, fridge, and pq!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/23/2004 6:43:54 AM Discovery2 wrote:

Given a budget of 13k-15k would a G/VS2 be ones choice for a 1.75 ct round?
Can I get a very well cut stone and stay within these parameters?
Thanks for the replies strm, fridge, and pq!!----------------

I suspect that a survey of past Pricescope posts will show a great variety of choices for any given value. Most often (but not always), buyers want to achieve a "look" rather than some specifications on paper. Along this line, diamonds must be white-eye clean-brilliant. Implicitly, each individual will have his own perception of which GIA color grade is no longer "white" or "clean" and how much tolerance on cut perfection he would accept.

To me, it seem that you will want a diamond close to 2 cts no matter what. Also, if G-VS2 and not having ALL possible tests on cut quality seems like a stretch on quality (which, on average, is not) then this is the time for you to hit a store and take a look at some diamonds! Working out what the stone will look out of a few tests, grades and a shelf
eek.gif
of quasy-scientific literature is not supposed to work. Also, you may want to decide which of the respective cut quality tests works for you. Their role will be to tell that the stone you are holding is also good looking when held side by side with most diamonds out there. You may also want to keep in mind that these tests are highly correlated (as they should) and that their value is given by how well their results are related to what your eyes can see. In my view, one test and walking the stone in hand under a range of ubiquitous light conditions (in and out of artificial lighting) should be sufficient. Does this make sense ?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pq im not sure where we differ :}
"Whiteflash gives you enough information to make an informed decision "
I agree about Brian also.

Back to the question at hand:

G color is great. Have you looked at some diamonds in person to see the color differences? Some people see color more than others.
G is a happy medium but h or i can provide a bigger diamond for the money.

vs2 is a good clarity point also but again eyeclean si1 can provide a better bargain.
What matters is not so much the rating as being eyeclean.
In other words Id take a bigger eyeclean si1 over a vs2 and get a bigger diamond or save some money for other things.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the choice...

It is hard to help confirm a choice when there is no range of options! If you want a G-VS, H&A, 1.75 cts - I have to say that yes, you have well pinpointed the probably price. What are you looking for in a diamond? What is the range of choices for you? For example, does a 1ct D-IF sound wrong?

I would focus on size (diameter) rather than a magic round weight. Rounding out the number of cts only helps getting taxed by price jumps, as most buyers (and cutters) follow the time-honored rue of thumb that a "round" weight is what all buyers think they want. Believe it or not, if you would buy a parcel of diamonds of "one carat each" you will be offered stones between 0.9 and 1.1 cts (and most likely of even wider weight variation)! They are all called "caraters" and the size (diameter) variation is barely there anyway...

Discovery2

Rough_Rock
I apologize to all for asking a question with the answer that I wanting to hear already in mind...it was late last night when I posted, and I am feeling a little overwhelmed.
I have looked at many high-priced stores and like the "size" (diameter of around 7.8, color of G, and clarity of VS2.
New question:
With the budget that I have (13-15k), should I drop in the color or clarity in order to get a cut (in the diameter that I like) that you would recommend?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You can search among diamonds with a known Holloway Cut Adviser score.

http://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

Just click on the link, then enter carat weight, color, and clarity preferences. I searched G to I color, VS1 to SI2 clarity, in the 1.5 to 2.05 carat range. That search returned 28 diamonds.

Good Old Gold also has a couple I colored diamonds in the 1.70+ carat range available that did not come up on the search.

Color is a personal preference thing. We can't tell you what you will or won't like. Some folks here have larger carat weight I colored diamonds they are quite happy with. Other folks won't go below G or H in color.

Clarity is totally dependent on the inclusions. Size, color, type, and location will determine whether a diamond is eye clean or not.

Take some time to search using the link above. Look at different diamonds. Maybe call and chat with a few Vendors. Find one you are comfortable working with.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/23/2004 10:31:37 AM Discovery2 wrote:

With the budget that I have (13-15k), should I drop in the color or clarity in order to get a cut (in the diameter that I like) that you would recommend?
----------------

I would feel totally confortable with an eye clean SI and go the G-SI route to obtain top light return (as per Ideal Scope) and/or visible size difference (to me, this is 0.5mm diameter).

This color grade (G) is probably the best bet if you (or the end user of the ring) is quite conscious about what "white" is white in diamonds. Otherwise, I is the safest bet for whiteness as recognized for commercial purposes. Keeping cut a prority and the 2cts a secondary goal, an eye clean G-H could be the best way to maximize size and get the best look (light return, due to top cut quality), I guess...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theory is theory and practice is key...

How about these:

1.71cts E VS1 $17k

2.2 cts F SI2 $17k

1.77, F SI1 $15k

A somewhat different persepctive for these examples: eye clean, top color things... From here, either getting a bit down in size (to the 1.6-1.7 instead of 2cts mark) or color (to your initial G) would bring the price where you initially wanted it. For some reason, I could not locate any examples of my above defined G/H-SI1 combination of grades... SI not VS sounds like "good buy" to me though... no matter what the color is.

Discovery2

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help Val and pq.
Just to note, yes I would like to be around the 1.75 (or 7.8mm) range, but I would like to find quality rather than size. I do not have any interest in > or = to 2cts.

I am going to call them tomorrow, but will WF send the diamond to an appraiser before or after you buy?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Whiteflash will typically send it to an independent appraiser before payment, (as far as I know).

I think you are asking if you should sacrifice color and/or clarity to get your 7.8mm stone, and I think the answer is yes. You can bump down in clarity to Si1 fairly safely, and sometimes even lower. The key is "eye-clean". You can bump down in color typicaly and have it faceup very white, but color is personal. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, so having looked at some ideal cuts stones in person will help you know there. Most people will trade off clarity first as long as it is eye-clean, before color, but you still have room in the color range for a white looking stone.

Start doing some searches on both the Pricescope engine, and the web sites of the recommended vendors here, and I bet you can find some good choices that will optimize all 4 c's, within your price range.

Good luck!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like your stone parameters, and the WF price seems good for that quality (my top priorities also were cut, color, clarity and then size) of stone. If you get it, please make sure to post photos.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results