shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for diamond and/or settings in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I am very excited because my boyfriend has suggested that we look at some diamonds and settings in a couple weeks. I am in the New York City area and I would love any suggestions of recommended jewelers. I know that some of the favorites mentioned on Price Scope are by appointment only, so I''d like to set up a few appointments if possible.

I don''t know enough yet to know if we''ll buy the diamond and setting seperately or together. I do know I''m interested in a nice emerald cut center diamond, somewhere between 1.5-2.2 carats. Sorry for the strange carat range, but I''m hoping for a 2 carat and in my initial research I''ve seen some over 2 carats that are still nice and not outrageously priced.

We want a platinum setting. I don''t want a solitaire. Instead, I want a emerald cut center stone with some sort of diamonds around the band. 3/4 of the way around would be ideal. I love pave styles. I love the look of tiny diamonds in/on the band, but I don''t think I want a channel set type. I definitely want a very thin band.

The picture on my avatar is one I found on Pricescope a while back, but I never found the source. I love that ring and I would love to find who makes the setting, or where I can find a similar one. If anyone has any suggestions I''d love to hear them.

Also, if anyone has any general advice about buying an emerald cut center diamond, I''d also really appreciate that. Thanks so much!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What about something like this?
14997.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The setting can be bought without a diamond for 1580$
15512.jpg

The side stones are asscher cuts...but they carry a number of settings which can be found here.

rockaholic

Rough_Rock
Hi Ellewoods,

It''s so nice to meet someone also from NYC. I just completed my purchases recently so figure I could make some suggestions. I did go around to many stores to look at stones just to get an idea of what I like, stores are great in that sense, but when it comes to pricing, I dare not say the same. I am a bargain hunter, so did a lot of research and looked into several local as well as online places. I really wanted to see the diamond before I purchased it, so it made more sense for me to go local when I first started looking around, but then I realize the HUGE price difference for the same quality stone between a retail versus an online seller... Long story short, what I ended up doing is asking an online jeweler that I''ve dealt with many times, who is located in NYC to help me search for a stone. I guess the fact that they don''t have a retail store made their prices very competitive. The stones they found me were beautiful and I ended up choosing one of them. The price is also unbelievable!!

Anyways, whether you decide to go local or online is really a personal preference. I guess I was lucky enough to get the best of both worlds.

Now regarding the emerald cut, I really am not familiar with the cut since most of my research was for cushion. I''m sure if you use the search in PS, you will find tons of articles.

Good luck on your search!

~rockaholic~

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi EW!

Welcome to pricescope! I feel like I wrote your story! I was in that EXACT situation....

About a yr ago I found pricescope, and without this place I would have never found what I was looking for- I truly believe that.

I have not posted about my ring yet- it is in the works- I promise I will post the ring and the story as soon as its all done!

Anyway, they story goes...since I am kind of a picky type. my bf wanted me to pick out my diamond and setting. Since I am pretty knowledgeable about diamonds, he said he would be crazy to NOT involve me in the process. So, once he told me that, I started researching...and researching....and researching....obsessively.....

I went from wanting an emerald cut, to a radiant, an asscher, to a cushion with pave, to a halo-setting- I changed my mind so many times it was ridiculous!!! But everytime I would put an ec on my finger it would totally speak to me. I just love them so much, and no other stone made me feel that way. So, I decided on a emerald for good. Same carat range u are looking for.

Now for the setting- that was crazy- I went from solitaire, to tapered baguettes, to pave. So one day bf and I were at Tiffany''s on 5th ave and were speaking with a saleswoman there. She was showing us ec''s and I asked her what type of setting she liked- she seemed like a woman with good taste- why not? Anyway, when I asked her about ec''s and pave, she shook her head and said," emerald cuts have clean, simple lines, that is what gives them their beauty, to put them with pave would be too distracting and take away from that."

So, that kind of stuck in my head, the more settings I saw with an ec and pave, the more I understood what she was talking about- they did not complement eachother. I started to really love the simplicity of a beautifully cut emerald solitaire. Dont get me wrong, I think everyone should get what they like, I am just telling you my story. Alot of people here have emeralds/asschers with pave, and they are absolutely beautiful....I also like the idea of a solitaire b/c I could pair it with any type of w-band- it would not be too busy.

After so much research I finally hooked up with one of the pricescope vendors and my bf and I picked out the diamond together- we both decided on that same stone (we looked at a number of them). Then I decided on a solitaire setting with a thin band and split claw prongs, but with some pave around the basket- you can only see it when you look at the ring from the side- so it doesnt distract from the center stone at all...

Sorry for the long post, guaranteed when I get my ring that post will be even longer! I am out of the loop now- the ring plans were finalized about a month ago, so it should be done any day...I dont know when my bf will propose, and its driving me nuts!

EW, feel free to pm me with any questions, I would love to help. I am from NYC area too!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hello NYC Gals!

Ellewoods, I just bought my stone recently so I know your excitement. This is what I did (my no means am I telling you this what you should do but here is my experience.)

I started searching here on PS and with my budget I was able to get an idea of what I could afford. At the same time I wanted to see the stone in person. What I did was go to a NYC jeweler and was able to see stones in person which had the same stats as the stones I was pricing online. (H/SI2)....I was going to make a b-line to GOG BUT when I started to realize the amount of tax I would have to pay, I figured that money (about $1000.00) could go to my setting
36.gif

I ended up with WF and found and AMAZING eye clean stone. This SI2 has hardly any inclusions on the GIA report....and with the money I saved on Tax, I had cousins (side stones and melee) added to my setting
36.gif

Now in my search for NYC jewelers I was given the name Frank Pollack & Sons....email me and I will give you his number if you would like it. He is by appt. only.

Good luck...I am very excited for you...

Annette (manhattan, E. Village)

ps...Where in NYC is everyone located?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOOD OLD GOLD. I feel that the knowledge that Jonathan has coupled with the SUPER High Quality stones they offer...cannot go wrong.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Annette,

I am from NJ, about 1/2 hr from Manhattan...

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Dani....I am excited for you....I hope you post lots of pics when your BF proposes...very exciting time!
36.gif

Annette

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Of course!!! Did u get your ring yet??

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Annette, I just saw your ring...how did I miss this post! Its absolutely gorgeous! Where are the hand pics???

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hey Dani.....Thanks for the kind works....here is the link to my hand pics....they pics aren''t that good....

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Wow- I love your ring!!! Its awesome!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dani....I had to send it back yesterday to WF to fix the setting...so I am missing it but it will be back soon!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Try David S. Diamonds in the diamond district- he has tons of different cuts, and a great guy. Liked him a lot more than any of the other places I went (including the Pricescope favorites, sorry!)

http://www.davidsdiamonds.com/

Good luck!

rockaholic

Rough_Rock

hi annette and dani, it''s so cool to meet ppl on PS also from NYC. what a beautiful ring annette! love it! it''s good to know that there are others in NYC who are also crazy about diamonds.

yes, there''s no doubt that many of the PS vendors are great, but i didn''t find PS until the very final stages of my diamond hunt, and had already found THE ONE. i did compare prices a bit between my deal and what PS venders had to offer, but still couldn''t beat my deal, perhaps with a cushion it''s not like there is a whole load of inventory available, so i''m just glad that i found what i was looking for and got a great deal for it. price is a big thing for me, i had very specific criterias and because of that, i thought i would never be able to find something above a carat... so now with my 1.58 that meets my criteria, boy am i excited!!! why pay thousands more for the same thing right??

anyways, nice meeting you gals!!

~rockaholic~

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! I''m in the W. Village.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hey Rockaholic....Congrats...can''t wait to see it! I am happy that you were able to get exactly what you wanted!

Ellewoods....West Village....I am there every day....my daughter Lauren goes to school there.

rockaholic

Rough_Rock
thanks annette!

i''ll post pictures once i have the finished piece in hand...

~rockaholic~

Melinda

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m so happy there are so many of us in NY. I''ve also just started my search for the perfect oval. That emerald ring is amazing. The recommendations for places and people in NYC are really helpful. I wrote a note to Tim at GOG and received a reply by the end of the afternoon. I definitely want to go look this weekend, but I''m having a hard time narrowing down my starting point. There are so many great suggestions. Is GOG really as good as everyone says? I''ve seen a lot of people say that their rings had to go back for repairs, etc. recently.

rockaholic

Rough_Rock
Hi Melinda,

Yes, it does seem like there are a lot of problems surfacing lately, kind of scary... I''m just glad that my work is done and now it''s the wait that killing me. A lot of people have been recommended GOG, if you were looking for a round, I think they would be a good source too, but since you are looking for an oval, it may be worth shopping around since it is a fancy shape. If you don''t mind trying a smaller shop, I highly recommend the jeweler that helped me find my great deal. Very friendly person, she''s great! Maybe she can help you find a good deal too!!

Good luck on your hunt and have fun!!

~rockaholic~

mobay

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking for awhile, and this is my first post. I am also in NY and started looking in the diamond district just at different color diamonds and shapes and stuff. I''ve heard to steer clear away from this area when buying but there were some vendors that i had a better feeling than others.

Has anyone heard or been to any of the ones mentioned below:
James & Co. (not the greatest vibe)
Mimi So ( little on the pricier side)
Kent Jewelry (decent)
Ultimate Jewelry Designs (had the best feeling after leaving, also with fairly reasonble prices on GIA certified diamonds)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the comments and suggestions.

mobay

Rough_Rock
Also i wanted to mention that Ultimate Jewelry Designs claims to sell diamonds to some of the online vendors so there price is very fair.

ie.

Round Briliant
7.75-7.78x4.75
1.74 carat
depth 61.2%
Table 57%
girdle thing to slightly thick, faceted
culet none
poish good
symmetry good
vs1
h
$1200

RB
7.8-7.84x4.62
1.71 carat
depth 59.1%
Table 57%
girdle med to slightly thick, faceted
culet none
polish good
symmetry verygood
vs1
i
$11000

Lastly does symmetry and polish make a big factor into brilliance, i was planning on looking at only excel, excel but these looked quite brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results