shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a temp semi mount

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I could use some help finding a temp setting for my soon to be 2.9 carat old mine. So excited! I finally found the stone of my dreams and the hubs was all for it. It will officially be mine in 2 days. I have to wait on my dream setting (Erika Winters or Sebastian B) but want to have it set in something nice enough so I can actually wear it now.

Adam proposed a simple claw prong solitaire in WG for about $500. This may be the best option. I'd prefer an antique setting but as this is only a temp setting I don't want to spend a whole lot- def under $1,000. I'd prefer Adam to set the stone and send me a finished product rather than shipping it off again.

Oh the stone measures: 8.9 x 8.6 x 5.8 deep

Any suggestions on where to look for a temp setting, preferably antique?

Thanks!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved Adam's antique style solitaire for a temp or longer term ring:

owd1.jpg

owd2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just realized its an OMC. Don't know if that setting I posted could be adapted to look right or not.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Dolly- thanks I'll check them out! :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452881508|3976440 said:
Just realized its an OMC. Don't know if that setting I posted could be adapted to look right or not.

DS- thanks! That is pretty. The OMC is fairly square with more rounded corners.. Hmm I'll ask Adam if he's used that setting with an OMC.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can I see a pic of your lovely diamond?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1452916018|3976666 said:
Can I see a pic of your lovely diamond?

Here's a still I took from Adams video and his pic- and here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4vLAojTV0

The color isn't everyone's cup of tea I know but the clarity is awesome and Adam said its a fantastic performer, which is what's most important to me.

_36029.jpg

_36028.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! More pictures once you get it set.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1452953673|3976755 said:
It's lovely! More pictures once you get it set.

I definitely will! :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
It's here and it's such a lovely stone! I can definitely see the warmth but it's not unattractive to me in the least. From what I can tell so far (it's been grey and overcast since it arrived so I've only seen it in that light and ugly office lifting so far) it's a great performer. It's totally eye clean and has a pretty shape, IMO.

Now the temp setting? I'm thinking maybe a simple bezel shouldn't cost that much more money than a solitaire and perhaps that's a better choice...

_36168.jpg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

_36169.jpg

_36170.jpg

_36171.jpg

_36172.jpg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Is there still no way to post videos?

_36173.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and lively! :appl: :love:
I have been happy with my Stuller setting. If was quite reasonable and was supposed to be temporary but I like it well enough to go a long time before resetting. I asked to have the 6 prongs made more delicate when the diamond was being set. I don't know what other vintage-style settings are in the Stuller catalog, but there might be something you would like.
joy_day3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, LALove!!! :love: Gosh, I don't know, I just wouldn't want to pay a lot for a temp setting if you think it'll only be like a year until you get it. Did he say the very thin part of the girdle is really small? If it's not, it might need a bezel or girdle rehab if you don't want a bezel long term.

Jimmianne, I love that Stuller setting! Had I not already had a setting, I would have loved to have had that one! I am not sure it would work for her shape stone, though.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both of you! Not sure that setting would work for a square cut.. It's lovely tho!!

DS- good point.. I didn't ask him. The final setting would be a halo and or bezel setting so it'd be protected I imagine?

I know DBL has bezel settings for about $700 which isn't bad. And truthfully I'm not sure how long I'll have the setting. I like to think a year but it could be longer.. Plus if I like it id be ok to keep it longer.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This stone is incredible! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing what you'll do with it.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
ihy138|1453594229|3980485 said:
This stone is incredible! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing what you'll do with it.

Thank you!!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Do you live in LA? Why don't you just go down to the jewelry district and see if you can find an inexpensive setting there? I found one in the window at David Klass' shop which not only fit my stone, but also my finger. And it was only $250 out the door (and set). It was a 6 prong, 18k WG Tiffany repro. There's a billion settings you can choose and most people will haggle. I don't think you'll have a problem finding something simple under $3-400.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
jerichosmom|1453617735|3980606 said:
Do you live in LA? Why don't you just go down to the jewelry district and see if you can find an inexpensive setting there? I found one in the window at David Klass' shop which not only fit my stone, but also my finger. And it was only $250 out the door (and set). It was a 6 prong, 18k WG Tiffany repro. There's a billion settings you can choose and most people will haggle. I don't think you'll have a problem finding something simple under $3-400.

Hi- no I grew up in la but live in the Midwest now. Otherwise that's a brilliant idea. :D

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a local jeweler you like with catalogs you can browse?

Not to press the point, but Stuller does have settings made for your cut, they are just more classic than vintage.
82b7180b-0c5d-4500-8117-a43b00a8d55c.jpg
Also, you might look at the range of settings for your cut on James Allen to get ideas/pricing info.
I have sent diamonds to James Allen to be set and was happy with the results.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1453723455|3981061 said:

Not to press the point, but Stuller does have settings made for your cut, they are just more classic than vintage.
Also, you might look at the range of settings for your cut on James Allen to get ideas/pricing info.

Great suggestions Jimmianne, I think those stuller settings are lovely, love that classic look. JA is also a good suggestion - I had a solitaire setting from them and I was happy with the quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was undecided on the final setting and needed a temporary setting, I went with the standard $150 Stuller solitaire because I know I will never recoup that cost nor reuse the temporary setting. Any "extra" money that I saved is theoretically put towards the final setting.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Hi - thank you- I appreciate your suggestions! I think I'm changing my mind and leaning towards a bezel. I just had an unexpected career shift (2 days ago) so am uncertain how long I'll have this "temp" setting. It could be years. And I don't LOVE solitaires on me.. I can't push the budget just yet for a setting with diamonds so I'm thinking bezel...

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1453733996|3981119 said:

Great suggestions Jimmianne, I think those stuller settings are lovely, love that classic look. JA is also a good suggestion - I had a solitaire setting from them and I was happy with the quality.

Thank you for your input! :wavey:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1453734683|3981126 said:
When I was undecided on the final setting and needed a temporary setting, I went with the standard $150 Stuller solitaire because I know I will never recoup that cost nor reuse the temporary setting. Any "extra" money that I saved is theoretically put towards the final setting.

That does make the most sense, definitely. My issue now is this temp setting could have to last me a very long time. I just do not know. So I'd like to get something I like and I don't love solitaires on me.. I mean unless it's the standard Tiffany setting with a massive rock. :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
So I spoke with the lovely Grace (JbG) and am thinking of having her make me one of these bezel settings for my stone.

What I have to decide is -

1. Chunky bezel or delicate bezel?

2. Yellow gold with a high carat gold wash or unplated white gold? (My skin tone is light-medium with pink undertones and I think high carat yellow gold looks good on me as does white gold/plat.) I was thinking unplated because it's warmer and my stone is L color.

3. set the stone east-west or north-south?

Opinions are super welcome! :)

(Note: all pics are Grace's except the thin white bezel cushion)

_36205.jpg

_36206.jpg

_36207.jpg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Here's Grace's thin bezel (on adorable baby hand!) and the Martha Stewart catalog white bezel as inspiration.

martha.jpg

_36208.jpg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a pic in bad office lighting (which makes my hand color look like an Oompa Loompa!) showing the stone north-south and east-west.

ew_ns.jpg

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
I'm loving the first setting you posted - thicker bezel, yellow gold, east-west. Your diamond is so pretty, it will look great in any setting you choose!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results