shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a lab emerald pendant

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I’ve always loved blue green emeralds and managed to birth a long-awaited baby in May this past year, so I decided finally to get something and settled on a lab stone pendant. I’m not a huge fan of big stones and would prefer something smaller and dainty- open to any cut as long as it’s on the blue-green side of things.

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to buy a loose stone and try to go custom, so would prefer to buy the whole thin already made- does anyone have any suggestions? I’m seeing lots of options on Etsy but I don’t know what’s legit, and I definitely want an emerald, not an emerald colored cz.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I’ve always loved blue green emeralds and managed to birth a long-awaited baby in May this past year, so I decided finally to get something and settled on a lab stone pendant. I’m not a huge fan of big stones and would prefer something smaller and dainty- open to any cut as long as it’s on the blue-green side of things.

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to buy a loose stone and try to go custom, so would prefer to buy the whole thin already made- does anyone have any suggestions? I’m seeing lots of options on Etsy but I don’t know what’s legit, and I definitely want an emerald, not an emerald colored cz.

Congrats on your new baby!! :)

I love emeralds, great choice!
Have you seen them in person before? They rarely photograph properly and I find always tend to look much bluer in photos. I say this because you are after blue-green, and I would say most emeralds I have seen in person are green-green despite their pics, so don't want you to be disappointed.

Would you consider a YAG?
Can you post a pic of your ideal blue-green?

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!! (And what an apt username!)

It’s funny that you mention YAGs - I’ve been eyeing them for a long time as that blue/green is about my ideal color, but I think I’m fixated on the idea of having an actual emerald because of it being the May birthstone. I have not actually seen one in person, only been drooling over the ones posted in PS, so that’s useful to know that they turn out more blue in photos.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
This is a photo of a YAG from Etsy, but this would be my ideal color. Possibly a pipe dream? ‍♀️
30EE4358-D459-4384-A35C-BB34303D77C8.jpeg

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!! (And what an apt username!)

It’s funny that you mention YAGs - I’ve been eyeing them for a long time as that blue/green is about my ideal color, but I think I’m fixated on the idea of having an actual emerald because of it being the May birthstone. I have not actually seen one in person, only been drooling over the ones posted in PS, so that’s useful to know that they turn out more blue in photos.

If you look through any threads on emeralds you'll see people comment on how difficult they are to photograph. They ain't kiddin'! :lol:

If you can try to see a lab emerald in person before taking the plunge I would encourage it.

To give you an idea..
The two left-most rings below are lab emeralds.
The one on the right is a YAG. They look nearly the same colour in the photo, but to the eye they are different. The YAG is the only one with the colour represented accurately in the photo.

20210906_204541.jpg

The left-most stone looks more like this colour:

images - 2021-09-27T002640.640.jpeg

The middle one is more like this colour:

301a_1_1.jpg

I hope this helps.
Emeralds are beautiful, and clearly my favourite stone! But do keep in mind that they won't have anywhere near as much blue as a YAG, despite the pictures.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
It definitely does help, thank you! Glad I saw your pictures and got your expertise before taking the plunge and getting disappointed. Lots to think about now…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results