shape
carat
color
clarity

suggestion/advice on a stone, any bored PS-ers?

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I are looking for an engagement diamond. He sort of let me take over because he's busy and just doesn't care as much as I do about this. Ive been lurking around here for a few weeks now and am learning more and more everyday, thank you! However I still feel Completely lost and lacking knowledge. I would love the input of anyone who is bored and/or would like to help.

I tried on a stone at the store with measurements of 6.92 by 6.96 with a depth of 4.23, I believe. It was 1.27 carats. It was an EGL certed H VS2 ex/ex/ex with hearts and arrows displaying. It scored a 1.3 on the HCA calc, but I used the percentages on the EGL certs not angles. I loved this stone in every way, but it was out of our budget at 7800. We are looking to stay under 6000. I do not care if the certification is an EGL or GIA/AGS, but I dont want to go below an EGL H (GIA I/J?) in color and would prefer it to be eye clean if you dont know where to look for the inclusion. Every stat of this stone is what I prefer pretty much, although I of course wouldn't mind an eye clean SI1 or 2. I highly value the best cut I can get for our money.

These are two I was looking at from union diamond. Anything jump out on first glance? I will request the IS pics when they open tomorrow. But are there any others you might suggest with similar qualities from other venders?

1.23 ct H VS2 ex/ex/ex with H and A, HCA 1.2 TIC range
6.89 by 6.86 by 4.23
fluor: very slight blue
girdle: med to sl thick
total depth: 61.4
table:57
crown:15
pavilion:43
(only have percents right now)

1.20 ct H VS1 ex/ex/ex with H and A, HCA 1.2 TIC range
6.87 by 6.83 by 4.19
no fluro, girdle med to sl thick
total depth: 61.2
table 57
crown 15
pavilion 43

Thank you for your time.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Those diamonds are not in house at union so I'm not sure they can provide you with the idealscooe images, I think they drop ship. How about this from whiteflash:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564450.htm
A bit over your budget but if you get the setting with them they will generally work with you a bit on a good package price.

The EGL stones have no real way to grade cut as the percentages are much less exact than angles you would get from agl or gia. There's a reason they are cheaper- you are getting what you pay for. I'd stick with gia xxx or ags0.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
p.s. just thought about you again, and since you said "I highly value the best cut I can get for the money" then you absolutely want AGS or GIA triple ex. That is the only way to ensure you are in fact getting the best cut for your money.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
Hey, thank you for the response. That whiteflash stone is so pretty.

I know my boyfriend won't budge on the budget that much. He already thinks the amount we decided on is a little steep. I am going to call about it anyway though and see what WF can do for me. Wish me luck!

IF the IS images from the union diamond is available, then would you consider the purchase of an EGL stone (if the image was a good one of course)?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the stone nfowife posted above from WhiteFlash. I also would only consider AGS and GIA reports. You really get what you pay for, so you may as well know what you are getting!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it's a good idea to go without a GIA/AGS report unless you are extremely knowledgeable about diamonds and know exactly what you are looking for.

I may consider a diamond without a GIA/AGS report, but only if:
1. I can see it in person and compare it alongside GIA/AGS stones I like
2. It is priced much lower than an equivalently graded GIA/AGS stone
Although in all likelihood this will not happen in real life. :lol:

If you don't mind going down to K color, BGD has one under $6,000: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809036

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice. I contacted wf and they are looking at other ones closer in my range for me. I ordered the IS scope from james allen and will post it here when I receive it though they said it would take a couple days. Thank you for linking those diamonds, guys, I really really appreciate it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results