shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugar? Splenda? - What do you all use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hey Marvel,
35.gif
would you scoot over...Lemme on the box!!

I have refrained from these conversations in the past...you know how opinionated I can be. I have been blessed with extremely wonderful health. My body is strong...I have swam at least 6-10 miles a week for years...lots of manual yard work labor...and in 2006 late in the year...I got hit with a serious back injury. Long story short...it was a bulged disk. Hubby did research found the site that had many posters sharing their back injuries...and the root cause? The theme that tied them all together? Splenda...sucralose.

Next day hubby emptied out our pantry and our gum stash. You wouldn''t believe where the sucralose is hidden. He filled two large black trash bags with my JUNKIE stuff. I had honed my baking skills and was making incredible splenda only desserts. For years I used this stuff religiously. But you see my body was strong and it was able to counter the negative chemicals in Splenda. They say the healthier you are the least symptoms you will experience. I never had ANY issues with it. Eventually my consumption used up my stored credits and whammo it hit my back and I thought I would be paralyzed. It was a pain I can''t describe. I am just like Marvel I stop people all the time...of course you get no positive response or inquiry. Just a mean look. Splenda is evil. I wouldn''t feed it to a rat. I would beg all of you to stop using it. But if you were like me...you feel it can''t be bad...it has a hallmark like commercial and well it is on the shelf...

Ok on to sugar...not good either. Have you ever seen the movie Sunset Blvd? Well the actress that the story is about had a hatred for sugar. She wouldn''t even step foot on a set that had ANY morsel of real sugar. I suppose one shouldn''t get their health advice from actresses in the 40''s...so one could read this book...
Reverse Heart Disease Now by Board Certified cardiologist and coauthor Stephen T. Sinatra...Wiley $24.95. Anyway his studies add the three surprising risks that contribute to Heart Disease and his first is Sugar. Says sugar is more dangerous than cholesterol when it comes to heart disease! He says sugar inflames the blood vessels leading to increased clotting.

Furthermore, sugar breaks down the collagen in your skin ...and it the root of most facial wrinkles. You see without collagen our skin becomes dry, brittle and it cracks or wrinkles.

Bottom line go Natural...if you have to sweeten. §

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... maybe fructose? It takes longer to break down in your system so you don''t get the same sugar ''high'' as glucose (sugar). It''s from fruit so it''s natural. You might want to think about it. I think you can get it in crystalized form for sweetening. Maybe it wouldn''t do the things dks was saying sugar does to you.

Does anyone know what''s in honey? I do know that it has great properties, like anti-microscopic icky things. (anti-bacteria, anti-microbe?? anti something at any rate.) Maybe honey is actually good for you once it gets in your body? Of course different honeys have very different tastes, I''m not keen on it for coffee but it''s great in some baking.

Well, I wouldn''t be surprised if splenda turned out to be bad for you, considering the awful metal/chemical aftertaste Splenda leaves in my mouth.
14.gif
I''m one of those types who can really taste it, but I have an oddly sensitive sense of taste anyway.

(mini thread-jack: do you think there''s a genetic thing? I can clearly identify different spring waters and different kinds of salt, and I can detect even small traces of all the artificial sweeteners plus that fake salt. *shudder* But dh can''t do any of those things and has even used fake salt without ever noticing.)

Has anyone else notice how much like a ping pong match this ''good for you'' ''bad for you'' thing is? I think the general guideline is that even (natural) things people think are bad for you are actually good for you when consumed in moderation.
5.gif
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2008 9:33:23 PM
Author: KimberlyH
If a recipe calls for sugar that's what I use. I drink 1 diet soda a day and have no idea what's in it, a sugar substitute, obviously, but I don't know what. I don't put anything in my tea but a dash of soy milk (I like to pretend I'm British and have a beautiful accent like Lorelei).
walklikeanegyptian.gif
lol.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 4:45:25 AM
Author: Lorelei

If a recipe calls for sugar that''s what I use. I drink 1 diet soda a day and have no idea what''s in it, a sugar substitute, obviously, but I don''t know what. I don''t put anything in my tea but a dash of soy milk (I like to pretend I''m British and have a beautiful accent like Lorelei).
walklikeanegyptian.gif
lol.gif
My mom and her mom and her mom''s mom all put milk in their tea. My husband makes fun of me, but it''s how I''ve always had tea, so it''s how I like it. I used to put sugar, but cut that out when I decided to lose weight. And I do wish I had your accent, even though I''ve never heard it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2008 8:56:13 AM

If a recipe calls for sugar that''s what I use. I drink 1 diet soda a day and have no idea what''s in it, a sugar substitute, obviously, but I don''t know what. I don''t put anything in my tea but a dash of soy milk (I like to pretend I''m British and have a beautiful accent like Lorelei).
walklikeanegyptian.gif
lol.gif
My mom and her mom and her mom''s mom all put milk in their tea. My husband makes fun of me, but it''s how I''ve always had tea, so it''s how I like it. I used to put sugar, but cut that out when I decided to lose weight. And I do wish I had your accent, even though I''ve never heard it!
Heehee!! Make sure when you make your tea, the traditional way is to put the milk in first, then pour the brewed tea onto the milk in the cup! Also if you use a tea pot, the correct method is to also warm the pot first with hot water from the kettle, this prepares the tea pot for the tea as it gets it to the right temperature!
9.gif
Taking tea can be quite a palava!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 9:00:20 AM

Date: 1/9/2008 8:56:13 AM

walklikeanegyptian.gif
lol.gif
Heehee!! Make sure when you make your tea, the traditional way is to put the milk in first, then pour the brewed tea onto the milk in the cup! Also if you use a tea pot, the correct method is to also warm the pot first with hot water from the kettle, this prepares the tea pot for the tea as it gets it to the right temperature!
9.gif
Taking tea can be quite a palava!!
Warning, Thread Hijack (my apologies Angel7):

The last time we were in Chicago we were at this restaraunt for breakfast where the tables butt against one another, so your basically having breakfast with strangers but everyone pretends that there''s a seperation between each table. We were sitting next to a mother and her teenage son who were from England. I poured my milk into my cup after my tea and the boy looked at his mom and said "What is she doing?! She''s weird!" He was indignant. The mother was embarrassed and told him to mind his own business; John and I thought it was hysterical!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think I just put about 8 packets of sugar in my coffee this morning. My hubby was up late working on a work project. When he came to bed he woke me up and I couldn''t get back to sleep for awhile, so I''m dragging this morning. I promised my younger one I''d take them for cini minis and french toast sticks for breakfast and I got coffee at Burger King. I can''t do burnt coffee without sugar and cream.....

DKS, I''d be a little wary of the sugar causing wrinkles. At least in my case! I''m 45 and my skin is not wrinkled AT ALL and since I tip the scales on the heavy side I''ve eaten more than my share of sugar.
emembarrassed.gif
I will go along with sugar contributing to inflamation, though. Have you ever read Dr. Andrew Weil''s book, Eating for Optimum Health? I thought that was a very interesting book, although I have a lot of stuff in my pantry that is enriched, has preservatives, high fructose corn syrup (hard to get away from that one), added colors and artificial flavors. I try to cook with whole foods as much as possible, though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2008 9:06:02 AM

Date: 1/9/2008 9:00:20 AM
Warning, Thread Hijack (my apologies Angel7):

The last time we were in Chicago we were at this restaraunt for breakfast where the tables butt against one another, so your basically having breakfast with strangers but everyone pretends that there''s a seperation between each table. We were sitting next to a mother and her teenage son who were from England. I poured my milk into my cup after my tea and the boy looked at his mom and said ''What is she doing?! She''s weird!'' He was indignant. The mother was embarrassed and told him to mind his own business; John and I thought it was hysterical!
Hahaha!!! I tell you, there can be as much snobbery, if not more, with tea making than with wine tasting!
nottalking.gif
/idealbb/editor/cute/images/face20.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I gotta be honest, after reading all these posts I think I want to throw out the Spleda and just stick with the raw or brown sugar like I've been doing. I'm scared of it!!! I told BF and he called me crazy! He's addicted to Splenda. His reasoning? "It's melts best in my coffee!!!"
20.gif
It sounds like even sugar is bad but I have to be realistic and realize hey, sugar is needed in some things and I don't think I could just dismiss it forever...sorry I am weak!
3.gif

If I go natural, what would I use?

Musey & Lumpkin: Thank you very much for the kinds words! It was a lot of work and I think I'll be working for the rest of my life! I never was a "skinny" child and never have had the pleasure of knowing what its like to hang out on a beach in a swimsuit and not feel like.."hmm my love handle and big ole' bootie is shaking all over!)
2.gif
To be honest, I never will be at the point of skinny but 30 lbs less would make me feel content!
36.gif

Lumpkin at least you like healthy food! If you were able to kick those other habits, I'm sure you will be fine with this! I'm no expert, who knows if I even eat the correc things. I figure, the less I take in the more I get out (exercise wise) I should be ok. But I'll keep you posted. My week 2 weigh in (with myself in my bathroom) is on Monday morning, we'll see how I'm doing.
32.gif

Elmorton: I use Smart Balance Products, I like them. I'm not a butter lover so they do just fine for me when I need a little something.
Salt is my problem! Any suggestions for that anyone?

Brazen: "I can't find it, but according to a well done study that just came out people who drink diet soda are 40% more likely to be overweight then people who do not drink soda. For a host of complcated chemical reasons, our body does not think it is getting calories or sugar, etc when you drink and kind of soda so you are no less hungry."
That's scary but probably so true! When I lost the bulk of my weight I stopped all soda (diet, never drank regular) but then started up again. It's such an addiction, I love it! It's such a treat for me..I'm trying though. I had none yesterday and I'm still alive so maybe I can quit again!
31.gif
Although I notice I get headaches from caffine withdrawl..how sad!

Marvel: Sorry you got sick. That's scary! Why is it ok to sell these things if they are bad! Hello FDA?

DKS: That's awful about your back. I can't believe Splenda was the cause of that! My bf has constant back problems and only uses Splenda..hmm think there's a connection there?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Don't worry too much about regular sugar. I have to disagree with DKS on this one. According to the CDC, 90% of skin aging is caused by sun damage, not what we eat and that has definitely been my experience.
However, sugar and proccessed carbs definitely take a toll on the body. I do osteology as part of my grad school stuff and in cultures where they don't eat that stuff they don't get cavaties and their teeth don't grow in crooked.
You asked why is it ok to sell these things and at least in the case of aspateme, it was one of the most contraversial cases in FDA history. For 15 years nutrasweet was trying to get it approved and the FDA kept saying no. Not long after Regan took power he asked the FDA to look at it again and again they said no. He fired the FDA chief and appointed a new guy, Arthur Hayes, who was only president for two years after legalizing it because he was accepting bribes from companies. To top it off, Regan's close advisor, Donald Rumsfeld, was president of nutrisweet at the time. This also lead to the ban on stevia which may actually be safer than sugar.

I am hesitant to mention this since there is a lot of back and forth on its safety, but a good way to cut out salt is to use MSG. It enhances flavor and as long as you are not allergic, you probably won't have a lot of health problems from it, certainly not more than from too much salt. They eat it all the time and Europe and Asia and it comes from seaweed so it is natural. It is actually fairly common in US foods too, people just don't realize it.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 12:54:28 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Don''t worry too much about regular sugar. I have to disagree with DKS on this one. According to the CDC, 90% of skin aging is caused by sun damage, not what we eat and that has definitely been my experience.

However, sugar and proccessed carbs definitely take a toll on the body. I do osteology as part of my grad school stuff and in cultures where they don''t eat that stuff they don''t get cavaties and their teeth don''t grow in crooked.

I am hesitant to mention this since there is a lot of back and forth on its safety, but a good way to cut out salt is to use MSG. It enhances flavor and as long as you are not allergic, you probably won''t have a lot of health problems from it, certainly not more than from too much salt. They eat it all the time and Europe and Asia and it comes from seaweed so it is natural. It is actually fairly common in US foods too, people just don''t realize it.

there was a guy on the today show recently who stated that sugar does cause wrinkles. i can''t tell you his name. if i remember correctly he said that the organs of the diabetic are prematurely aged by the high blood sugars and that it is the thought behind the excess sugar causing wrinkles. i have read and heard this theory before. i can tell you that i made this observation sitting at the dinner table at thanksgiving: two women the same age, 78, were seated side by side. one average to small weight wise. the other heavy. the smaller lady who is not fond of sweets had very little wrinkling, much less than one would expect for her age. the larger lady is extremely wrinkled, much more than one would expect for her age. the larger lady has always had lots of sweets daily.

i have nothing other than what i wrote above to go on but i can tell you that my post thanksgiving sugar consumption has dropped drastically.
2.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i forgot to add the small lady is a long time heavy smoker. the large lady has never smoked. i offer this since i have heard that smoking also causes wrinkles. we all know genes play a large part also.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
door knob solitaire - That's a really interesting story. Who would have thought that Splenda would be the culprit of back problems
33.gif
I actullay don't say anything to people when I see them using it, because I know they would look at me like 'mind your own business', but I do want to say something.

Mara - I hear ya on the cancer thing. I don't usually get caught up on all the 'it will cause cancer' and I'd probably still be using splenda if it didn't make me feel like I was dying.
37.gif

Angel7 - Does your b/f have any physical symptoms like abdominal cramping, etc, when using splenda? I think so people's body can handle the stuff better then others. Like I said to Mara, I'd probably still be using the stuff if it didn't make me sick, because I usually don't buy into all the hype. As far as sugar goes, I say anything in moderation (expcept slenda) is okay.

Indie - I don't know if it's genetic, but I have heard of people that have super-duper taste buds and can identify different spring waters, etc. I think it's just part of nature from when we had to live off the land and our taste buds what to determine if it was poisonous, or not. My daughter is very sensitive to taste and smell. That's how I found out about the nature thing.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OK, move over DKS, my turn on the box! LOL! I also have to agree with you. The culprits seem to be Advanced Glycation End Products [AGEs]. You will want to read "Ageless Face, Ageless Mind" By Perricone. I highly recommend it.

This is from the book jacket:
"In this revolutionary book, bestselling author and anti-aging expert Dr. Nicholas Perricone reveals a completely new and hidden threat to our looks and our health–and gives us a program to defeat it.

Dr. Nicholas Perricone has gotten to the bottom of accelerated aging with the discovery of AGEs (Advanced Glycation End Products). AGEs are at least as detrimental to our health as transfats but have been largely unknown outside the medical community. AGEs give us wrinkles, but they have also been implicated in serious age-related conditions that cut across all medical specialties, from Alzheimer’s and cataracts to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. Yet we have not had strategic interventions for stopping and reversing the effects of AGEs until now.

Dr. Perricone shows us how to win the fight against AGEs with a three-part plan of attack that includes a nutritional program, targeted supplements, and new topicals. His groundbreaking program helps to

• erase wrinkles and firm sagging skin
• reverse age-related memory loss
• heal cardiovascular disease
• stop precursors of cancer
• prevent symptoms of diabetes

Ageless Face, Ageless Mind brings us not only a new and exciting field of research and its remarkable discoveries, but also a way to fight one of the biggest hidden threats to our immediate and long-term health."

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not seen any scientific reports about Splenda causing wrinkles, cancer or backaches. I am diabetic as you know, and have lived with several diabetic family members over the years. Smoking causes wrinkles, sun exposure causes wrinkles, but not sugar or sugar substitutes. The American Diabetic Association fully supports the use of all artificial sweeteners, as well as sugar itself. You get forms of sugar in all fruits and vegetables naturally. The key to healthy eating is and has always been moderation. I personally don''t add sugar or Splenda to my food/drinks on a daily or even weekly basis necessarily. Once you stop eating refined sugars as I have, you just don''t crave sugar anymore. I never had a "sweet tooth" to begin with to be honest.

So, if you feel the need to sweeten your food/drinks, by all means go ahead, it is perfectly safe. If you want to cut down or cut out sugar, that is great too, and is a healthy choice. No need to beat yourself up about it though. It''s only one small part of the eating healthy equation.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i use real sugar. i bought a bunch of splenda and then decided maybe i should have looked into a little first. i forget now what i learned, but whatever it was had me tossing the splenda the same day i bought it! not worth the chance, IMO. i would rather try to moderate my intake of the real thing.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 12:12:54 PM
Author: Angel7

This might be another thread, but I''d be interested to hear suggestions on this one. I started using sea salt, and I don''t have to use as much as regular salt. Does anybody know about the differences between salt and regular salt? Is sea salt any better?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use regular sugar and just limit it. i''m just not a fan of the taste of artificial sweeteners.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 2:37:47 PM
Author: marvel

This might be another thread, but I''d be interested to hear suggestions on this one. I started using sea salt, and I don''t have to use as much as regular salt. Does anybody know about the differences between salt and regular salt? Is sea salt any better?
Yes I agree, I''d like to hear some opinions on this one. How about Mrs. Dash?
Brazen - Is MSG safe? For some reason my brain is saying a big "NO" to MSG...can''t figure out why though!
2.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

Sea salt is healthier as it has lower concentrations of sodium chloride.
My solution to salt as I have mentioned is MSG which I have found gives me less problems then salt, I can use less and it tastes better. Plus it is natural and used frequently all over the world. It is no secret in Europe in Asia but MSG "hides" in US foods because of concerns. Mono Glutamate is naturally occuring in mushrooms, tomatos, peas, milk products, etc.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't know about the whole sugar causes wrinkles thing, my mom has the world's biggest sweet tooth, literally!! there is always cake and truffles in their house at all times (and maybe cookies!)...and she looks like she is 15 years younger than she is with beautiful skin. people ask if she is my sister! she has been using sheisedo products since i was about 5. it's amazing she is as thin as she is too with all the sweet consumption. keeps me hopeful for the future lol!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 3:06:16 PM

Yes I agree, I''d like to hear some opinions on this one. How about Mrs. Dash?
Brazen - Is MSG safe? For some reason my brain is saying a big ''NO'' to MSG...can''t figure out why though!
2.gif
Like the artifical sweeteners, MSG is much argued about. Mono Glutamate is a naturally occuring amino acid of which many types are used as food addatives. Mono sodium Glutamate is derived from seaweed, beets and other natural plant sources which makes me feel better about it. They have been using it in Asia heavily for over 100 years and the japanese are some of the longest lived people. It takes much less to flavor food and only contains a 1/3 the sodium in table salt so in that respect it is healthy.
There is some debate about whether it is an allergen or whether it is phycosomatic (causes symptoms because people believe it will). I believe the latter. My mom says she doesn''t eat MSG because she feels strong pressure at her temples. But until she found out fritos were high in MSG, she never had that problem after eating fritos, only when she knew MSG was in the food.

I am extremely health consious and after reviewing the studies I think it is safe but each person needs to decide for themselves.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 3:20:20 PM
Author: Mara
i don''t know about the whole sugar causes wrinkles thing, my mom has the world''s biggest sweet tooth, literally!! there is always cake and truffles in their house at all times (and maybe cookies!)...and she looks like she is 15 years younger than she is with beautiful skin. people ask if she is my sister! she has been using sheisedo products since i was about 5. it''s amazing she is as thin as she is too with all the sweet consumption. keeps me hopeful for the future lol!
My mom has a hige sweet tooth and has few wrinkles around her eyes than I do even though she is 30 years older! Her mom also has a sweet tooth and aged badly. he difference? My grandma sat out and tanned and my mother was VERY careful about wearing sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, etc.
That was my experience in china too. Being pale is cosidered beautiful so the older women go out with hats and parisols and very careful with their skin. I have 2 chinese teachers the same age (51) but one looks much older and the other looks like she is in her 30s. The young looking one was very careful about the sun which is what she credits for her skin and the old looking one never cared.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Mara - Lucky you, you have good genes in your DNA!!

Brazen - Thanks for all the MSG info, I''m going to do some research. I''ve never heard any of those points before!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 3:17:19 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one--salt IS sodium chloride. The main difference between table salt and sea salt lies in the taste, rather than the health benefits. As far as composition, table salt contains a small amount of calcium silicate, added to prevent caking, and commonly iodine as well. Kosher salt also contains calcium silicate, but does not usually contain any other additives. Sea salt, on the other hand, is generally unrefined and thus contains trace minerals also found in the seawater it comes from. These trace minerals are what lead to the various types of salt (i.e. black, gray, pink, etc) and add distinctive flavors, although these are not noticeable for the most part when the salt is used in cooking. I suppose you could claim a health benefit from the additional minerals found in sea salt (common ones include iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine.) All of these salts, however, contain at least 97.5% sodium chloride.

If you've read that a teaspoon of table salt contains less sodium than a teaspoon of sea salt, this is technically true, but it is due to the size of the granules themselves. The finer grain of table salt allows more salt to fit in the measurement.

We use sea salt in a grinder, but it is more because of the taste than anything else. Sea salt is not going to lower your sodium intake. Granted, most salt comes from eating processed foods rather than from actually using salt straight up. Checking the sodium levels in processed foods is one of the most important things in limiting your intake. Another idea when you're cooking at home is to not salt foods while cooking. That way you can add a little bit of salt to your individual portion once it's served. Also, using lots of herbs and spices (I'm HUGE on pepper), adds flavor and makes you crave the salt less. If heart health is an issue, adding more potassium to your diet will also help a lot.

As far as MSG goes, it does have about 1/3 the sodium of regular salt. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that points to some people having a sensitivity to it, and some research linking it to negative conditions in rodents, but that hasn't yet been scientifically proven with people, as far as I know. Also, FYI, it is naturally occurring in some foods, including tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and peas.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 5:13:54 PM
Author: ladypirate

I''m going to have to disagree with you on this one--salt IS sodium chloride. The main difference between table salt and sea salt lies in the taste, rather than the health benefits. As far as composition, table salt contains a small amount of calcium silicate, added to prevent caking, and commonly iodine as well. Kosher salt also contains calcium silicate, but does not usually contain any other additives. Sea salt, on the other hand, is generally unrefined and thus contains trace minerals also found in the seawater it comes from. These trace minerals are what lead to the various types of salt (i.e. black, gray, pink, etc) and add distinctive flavors, although these are not noticeable for the most part when the salt is used in cooking. I suppose you could claim a health benefit from the additional minerals found in sea salt (common ones include iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine.) All of these salts, however, contain at least 97.5% sodium chloride.

If you''ve read that a teaspoon of table salt contains less sodium than a teaspoon of sea salt, this is technically true, but it is due to the size of the granules themselves. The finer grain of table salt allows more salt to fit in the measurement.

We use sea salt in a grinder, but it is more because of the taste than anything else. Sea salt is not going to lower your sodium intake. Granted, most salt comes from eating processed foods rather than from actually using salt straight up. Checking the sodium levels in processed foods is one of the most important things in limiting your intake. Another idea when you''re cooking at home is to not salt foods while cooking. That way you can add a little bit of salt to your individual portion once it''s served. Also, using lots of herbs and spices (I''m HUGE on pepper), adds flavor and makes you crave the salt less. If heart health is an issue, adding more potassium to your diet will also help a lot.

As far as MSG goes, it does have about 1/3 the sodium of regular salt. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that points to some people having a sensitivity to it, and some research linking it to negative conditions in rodents, but that hasn''t yet been scientifically proven with people, as far as I know. Also, FYI, it is naturally occurring in some foods, including tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and peas.
Can I ask, what are the sodium levels I should be consuming in a day? I never pay attention to the sodium amounts on processed foods....courious to know if my intake is way too high.
33.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Salt- actually table salt is iodinated, so it has a very different flavor. The pure chemical composition of table salt also allows it to be processed more easily in the body. Sea salt isn''t a cure all, but it''s reasonable that some people prefer it.

As for sugar, I''m a sugar only person, preferably brown or raw sugar; honey is even better. I was raised without sugary soda, snacks, or cereal so processed sugar actually burns more than it tastes good to me. I''m also allergic to artifical sweeteners, specifically aspertame; I haven''t wanted to test out the others
20.gif
. My mother, sister, old co-corker and her daughters all have the same reaction to things containing aspertame- shakes that become convulsions and blacking out. It''s way up there on a list of things that are no fun. I think it''s a more common reaction than most people know.

Why bring it up? It makes it difficult to eat in certain social situations. No pot-luck cookies, no unlabled gingerale/soda, no unlabled yoghurt, no gum/mints/breath spray (basically ever), no jello or things that may contain jello, no falvored syrups, and I have to obnoxious about mixed drinks/drink mixes too. No certain brands of "water" and chocolate and no mystery baked goods unless I know the baker and trust them not to lie about what''s in them (I have vigalante in-laws who think eating diet everything will make them and everyone else thin. Who''s in better shape? Me and DH
2.gif
)

I''m all for sugar-free things for people with diabetes, obviously it makes their lives much easier. But I do wish everything was more clearly labeled!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 5:39:03 PM
Date: 1/9/2008 5:13:54 PM

Author: ladypirate

I''m going to have to disagree with you on this one--salt IS sodium chloride. The main difference between table salt and sea salt lies in the taste, rather than the health benefits. As far as composition, table salt contains a small amount of calcium silicate, added to prevent caking, and commonly iodine as well. Kosher salt also contains calcium silicate, but does not usually contain any other additives. Sea salt, on the other hand, is generally unrefined and thus contains trace minerals also found in the seawater it comes from. These trace minerals are what lead to the various types of salt (i.e. black, gray, pink, etc) and add distinctive flavors, although these are not noticeable for the most part when the salt is used in cooking. I suppose you could claim a health benefit from the additional minerals found in sea salt (common ones include iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine.) All of these salts, however, contain at least 97.5% sodium chloride.

If you''ve read that a teaspoon of table salt contains less sodium than a teaspoon of sea salt, this is technically true, but it is due to the size of the granules themselves. The finer grain of table salt allows more salt to fit in the measurement.

We use sea salt in a grinder, but it is more because of the taste than anything else. Sea salt is not going to lower your sodium intake. Granted, most salt comes from eating processed foods rather than from actually using salt straight up. Checking the sodium levels in processed foods is one of the most important things in limiting your intake. Another idea when you''re cooking at home is to not salt foods while cooking. That way you can add a little bit of salt to your individual portion once it''s served. Also, using lots of herbs and spices (I''m HUGE on pepper), adds flavor and makes you crave the salt less. If heart health is an issue, adding more potassium to your diet will also help a lot.

As far as MSG goes, it does have about 1/3 the sodium of regular salt. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that points to some people having a sensitivity to it, and some research linking it to negative conditions in rodents, but that hasn''t yet been scientifically proven with people, as far as I know. Also, FYI, it is naturally occurring in some foods, including tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and peas.

Can I ask, what are the sodium levels I should be consuming in a day? I never pay attention to the sodium amounts on processed foods....courious to know if my intake is way too high.
33.gif

You should be getting around 1500-2300 mg per day. You require some for health reasons, but it''s good if you stick to the lower end of that scale. Sodium is used by our bodies to transport nutrients, transmit nerve impulses, and contract muscles. If you''re interested, the reason excess salt is bad for you is because it causes your kidneys to release more water to balance it out, causing an excess in blood volume and thus higher blood pressure.

Also, some people are sodium-sensitive, which means they require less sodium than most adults, and people over 50 should definitely stick to the lower end of that scale. As far as table salt goes, you should limit your intake to around 1/4 tsp a day, since 1 tsp contains around 2,350 mgs of sodium.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''m a ''Splenda in my coffee'', because I don''t need the extra calories; no sweetner in my tea, whether it''s iced or hot (I absolutely despise sweet tea); and I don''t bake much, but I don''t adulterate recipes, so I always use sugar when baking.

No one should EVER drink diet soda. There is a direct link between aspartame and many health problems including headaches, raised blood pressure, inflammation of joints, etc. There are ongoing studies to suggest there may be links with some neurological illnesses. Also, it can trick the body into thinking it needs more, more, more; much like the effect of high fructose corn syrup in regular soda. We would all be better off if we seriously limited our consumption of soda; it is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2008 5:42:49 PM
Author: mercoledi
Salt- actually table salt is iodinated, so it has a very different flavor. The pure chemical composition of table salt also allows it to be processed more easily in the body. Sea salt isn''t a cure all, but it''s reasonable that some people prefer it.

As for sugar, I''m a sugar only person, preferably brown or raw sugar; honey is even better. I was raised without sugary soda, snacks, or cereal so processed sugar actually burns more than it tastes good to me. I''m also allergic to artifical sweeteners, specifically aspertame; I haven''t wanted to test out the others
20.gif
. My mother, sister, old co-corker and her daughters all have the same reaction to things containing aspertame- shakes that become convulsions and blacking out. It''s way up there on a list of things that are no fun. I think it''s a more common reaction than most people know.

Why bring it up? It makes it difficult to eat in certain social situations. No pot-luck cookies, no unlabled gingerale/soda, no unlabled yoghurt, no gum/mints/breath spray (basically ever), no jello or things that may contain jello, no falvored syrups, and I have to obnoxious about mixed drinks/drink mixes too. No certain brands of ''water'' and chocolate and no mystery baked goods unless I know the baker and trust them not to lie about what''s in them (I have vigalante in-laws who think eating diet everything will make them and everyone else thin. Who''s in better shape? Me and DH
2.gif
)

I''m all for sugar-free things for people with diabetes, obviously it makes their lives much easier. But I do wish everything was more clearly labeled!
Actually, most diabetics who have been well educated in nutrition will probably avoid a lot of sugar-free items. Like you, I have had to become a super-duper label reader. Sheesh! I spend so much time in the grocery store just reading labels before I buy anything. We don''t have nearly as many sugar-free foods readily available in Canada, so it''s a bit different here, but I actually get kind of irritated when these products add more carbs in or chemicals or whatever just to be able to say "sugar free". You''re absolutely right, most of these kinds of products are terrible for you! Your inlaws are fooling themselves, but it''s something that comes from the media I guess. My other pet peeve is "No Sugar Added". These products fall in a grey area, as they can have both sugar and artificial sweetners, one or both. (plus they generally taste bad anyway)

I also know what you mean about not being able to eat out as easily, and having to check every label before even considering eating something. But it''s for the best. In Canada we have very extensive food labelling laws, I don''t know if it''s the same in the US. I believe the US has passed similar laws now.

Don''t get me started on salt. I''m not a sugar junkie because I''m sensitive to the taste, but giving up salt has been much harder! We grew up in a time where you added salt to everything! A big treat was to pick a fresh tomato from the garden and eat it one bite at a time, salting each bite. Gah! We''ve totally had to relearn how to eat as adults.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results