shape
carat
color
clarity

sudden temperature change affecting sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fontsizefive

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while but decided to register today and post a question since I am now a newbie sapphire ring owner - my boyfriend proposed to me with a non heat treated sapphire ring last week :) I've been reading up about sapphire ring aftercare and they mentioned to avoid sudden changes to temperature. What does that mean? Will the ring be affected in certain situations, say for e.g. on board an airplane where there is strong altitude pressure and decrease in environmental temperature or if it comes into contact with a hair dryer while I am using it?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am asking what may seem as redundant, I just want to make sure I am taking absolute good care of the engagement ring, he would be really upset with me if it cracked because I wasn't careful
7.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh, never really heard that before. If it helps I have worn my sapphire on planes, in winter (where I go from outside where it is often below 0 to inside where it's 60+ degrees), summer, etc. and have had no problems.

But I'm also curious to hear what more expert colored stone connoisseurs have to say...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard that before either, but am interested to hear what the experts have to say also.

Linda

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 9:28:58 PM
Author:fontsizefive
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while but decided to register today and post a question since I am now a newbie sapphire ring owner - my boyfriend proposed to me with a non heat treated sapphire ring last week :) I've been reading up about sapphire ring aftercare and they mentioned to avoid sudden changes to temperature. What does that mean? Will the ring be affected in certain situations, say for e.g. on board an airplane where there is strong altitude pressure and decrease in environmental temperature or if it comes into contact with a hair dryer while I am using it?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am asking what may seem as redundant, I just want to make sure I am taking absolute good care of the engagement ring, he would be really upset with me if it cracked because I wasn't careful
7.gif
I'd be interested to see the article where you saw this information, as I've never heard anything like this, and I've worn a sapphire for 22+ years now....

My previous sapphire was a lower quality, heated stone. I OFTEN wore it without thinking into the SAUNA and then into a COLD shower with no ill effects. (yeah, I'll fess up to being a silly girl back in the 'day)...

(I'm a lot more careful with my new sapphire!).

I am wondering if perhaps you saw something that explained how heat is used on sapphires to bring out the colour?

LS

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blow dryers, airplanes, going outside in the winter etc are not going to hurt it. What you may want to avoid is having your jeweler steam clean it, although they do it all the time. Sapphires are pretty durable around temperature changes. Just don''t go heating it up on a flame, and then quenching it in cold water.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 10:35:28 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Blow dryers, airplanes, going outside in the winter etc are not going to hurt it. What you may want to avoid is having your jeweler steam clean it, although they do it all the time. Sapphires are pretty durable around temperature changes. Just don''t go heating it up on a flame, and then quenching it in cold water.

Oh NO!!! I used to have the local jeweler steam clean my pad rings all the time
23.gif

fontsizefive

Rough_Rock
wow this has been very helpful - even if it is just from a fellow user''s perspective. It came up when I did a random google search on how to care for a sapphire ring, these were some of the sites I came across that mentioned sudden change in temperatures (you may have to scroll towards the bottom of the page or to the section labeled ''sapphire'' for some of them):

http://www.ehow.com/how_2216305_care-sapphire-jewelry.html

http://www.uniquejewelryguide.com/sapphire.html

http://www.studiotara.com/care.php

There were a couple more sites I saw, but I figured this should do for now..I''m just hoping its overconcern on my part but I figured it might be good to find out from fellow users and experts instead of poking around in the dark :)

fontsizefive

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 10:35:28 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

Thank you so much!! This has been really helpful. I''ll be sure to avoid steam cleaners and such. You guys are awesome :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most cutters use wax when they dop a stone. To dop a stone with wax, you heat up the brass dop over a small flame to the point that the wax melts on it. This is way too hot to touch. Then the stone is applied to the dop and wax. It goes from room temperature to too hot to touch in a few seconds.

Heat sensitive stones are dopped with glues or to avoid the heat. I dop with wax for almost everything except fire opal, and apatite. So this is way more heat shock than a stone will ever see in it''s normal life. Don''t worry about your sapphire.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree: don''t worry about steam cleaning your sapphire. I dop very heat-sensitive fire opals and precious opals with hot wax -- and remove them by putting them into the freezer for a few minutes! I''ve been doing it very successfully for many years.

The key is avoiding extreme temperature change (I don''t use flame for heating, for instance, but warm opals gently and slowly using an "oven" heated by a light bulb.) And I make sure my stones are no colder than room temperature before putting them into the freezer. I haven''t lost one in 25 years.

Richard M.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Richard and Gene. I feel a lot better now, knowing my Pads are safe!!!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results