shape
carat
color
clarity

Success, a question (or two), and pictures to follow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alechope

Rough_Rock
Hey y''all,
Sorry for disappearing, but the work I wasn''t doing while I was reading about / looking for diamonds finally caught up with me ...

Anyway, I bought myself a ring, picked it up from a friend on my way to visit my girlfriend, and presented it (successfully!) this weekend! So, you may congratulate me now.
1.gif

Now, one question: her GIA grader-father, on checking out the diamond with his loupe later that night, gave the quick opinion that the AGS rating for color grade (I) and clarity grade (VS2) were looser than the GIA would''ve given (he guessed J or K and SI1-2). Now, the ring is mounted and he was at home, and he''s sort of a pessimistic-tending -- or, let me say conservative and cautious -- kinda guy, but could this be possible? Thoughts? Do diamonds frequently / ever get graded differently by these two labs? My (now) fiancee is going to have it independently appraised soon, so we''ll be getting confirmation while still within the "return" window, but I thought I''d get y''all''s thoughts in the meantime.
1.gif

alechope

Rough_Rock
I forgot to say: I've got pictures, and as soon as I can get 'em scanned (tomorrow?) I'll post 'em. Very nice!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Alechope, congratulations on your engagement!
1.gif

It sounds odd that the diamond would be off by 2 grades in colour & clarity. My understanding is that AGS/GIA are on par with each other in terms of colour/clarity grading. Maybe the experts can weigh in here?

In any event, the appraisal should tell the tale.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the appraisal will tell but AGS and GIA are on par with each other I have frequently heard...sounds like he is thinking more along the EGL Israel terms...they are loose..but AGS being THAT loose? I don't think so.

I will chime in and say that if you are a grader or even someone who handles stones for a living, you will have sharper eyes! My appraiser was able to pick out the inclusions in about a second under 10x mag and I still have a hard time finding them. She said she's just used to finding the inclusions--so if this guy is the same way and if he is a grader he probably is..its probably hard for him to turn off the work-vibe and be objective about the stone. I highly doubt that an AGS I would be a GIA J or K....thats huge...and ask for VS2 vs SI1/SI2 that sounds off to me as well.

Personally I'd be a little miffed if my future father in law was picking apart my huge purchase for his daughter this way, esp when you did so much work to ensure that he was pleased.
angryfire.gif

I am sure the diamond is very lovely and the appraiser will confirm the AGS grading. I don't think we've seen really hardly any instances of where someone has come back with an AGS grade that is that much lower.....EGL yeah...but not AGS! Hmm...

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
I had a stone graded I si1 by the AGS. The appraiser thought it was a low I, toward J, but that it was vs2 in clarity. Just my experience.

I agree with Mara that it seems rather rude of your fiancee's father to be so critical!

Good luck with the appraisal, and don't let it worry you in the meantime.
1.gif

-Melissa

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like daddy's testing to see where his daughter stands. Did she say "I don't care either way, I love it!" or "if you didn't get your money's worth it's going back"? My bet is she loves it and you more than however it grades, and I also betting it grades on par with the AGS. Let us know and good luck.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Grading is subjective, so it's not unusual to have variances of a grade either way. Picky papa!
nono.gif
I'd get that appraisel asap -- before the stone is set if possible, just to make sure it really is what they said it is, and what you paid for.

alechope

Rough_Rock
Ha!
No worries about the "picky papa" -- I was more concerned about disapproval in other areas, so slight ring questioning is the least of my worries.
1.gif

Seriously, though, I figured as much as what y'all have said -- I'm not really too concerned. So, no need to fret on our behalf!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results