shape
carat
color
clarity

Subway tile or something else?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I want to replace my kitchen backsplash. Do you have subway tile? If you do, are you happy with your choice? Did you go with a traditional pattern or something more unique? Thanks =)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have subway tile in my shower with two accent rows. My handyman thought I was bonkers, but ended up loving it so much he took pictures and showed it off to everyone LMAO!!!!

Pics to come in a few. I also want to show off my kitchen tiles. I would never have thought of doing these tiles, but when I saw them in the kitchen, I loved them and hope to keep them in my kitchen FOREVER and EVER and ever!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like my house defies the laws of gravity and we live perpendicularly to everyone else

_4371.jpeg

_4372.jpeg

_4373.jpeg

_4374.jpeg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing! Your tile shower looks fabulous. Subway tile is so classic.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1466791556|4047620 said:
Thanks for sharing! Your tile shower looks fabulous. Subway tile is so classic.
Thank you momhappy! Retiling the shower was not originally planned. When we decided to, I looked at my handyman and asked, "WHAT do you suggest i do?" and he replied, "Subway tiles!" I was like, "Huh? SUBWAY tiles? what do you mean? Like... what you see in SUBWAYS?" Yup. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also happy that i went with delorean gray for the grout. lololol... you don't see "yucky stuff" as readily...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I've already decided that gray grout is the way to go!! I'm also trying to figure out what to do in that large accent area in between the stovetop and hood? I thought about maybe keeping with the same tile, but switching up the pattern (like in the image below, but they accented in the space behind their sink)

_4375.jpeg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momhappy, I love the look of white subway tile and dark grout. My house is old (90 years) so we tend to stick with things that are that style. You can't go wrong! The diagonally laid section above the sink is a nice touch.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We just had stainless steel subway tile installed in our kitchen as our sink backsplash. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of scratching the tiles while grouting and the inevitable upkeep of cleaning grout, so we chose the peel and stick tiles and I love the way they look!
stainlessbacksplashandfaucet.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1466811856|4047845 said:
We just had stainless steel subway tile installed in our kitchen as our sink backsplash. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of scratching the tiles while grouting and the inevitable upkeep of cleaning grout, so we chose the peel and stick tiles and I love the way they look!
Holy guacamole Lil Misfit!! :-o :love: :love: :love: when you hear "stainless steel subway tiles" it sounds so industrial, not the music, but like a warehouse lolol, but it is GORGEOUS the way you installed it!!!! :love: :love: Sleek and sexy yet super practical!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I've seen the stainless tiles and they look fabulous in your kitchen! Part of my goal in replacing my backsplash was to brighten up the space, so that's why I was thinking of white. I thought about maybe adding an accent row of stainless (maybe along the top), but I'm leaning towards keeping it more classic I think.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I love this look, but with a light-medium gray grout to make the tile really pop

_4395.jpeg

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
We did grey "crackle glaze" subway tiles and I loooove them. The colour is not uniform which I like and the crackle glaze means they have the faintest sparkle when the spotlights are on. Not a cheap option tho, and given our current overrun on other parts of the build we probably could have found a more economical option - but I still love them!

The main part of our house in 1920's.

img_2165_1_.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's subway tile and subway tile.

There's commercial subway tile that all looks uniform and is churned out in droves.

Then there's high end artisan glazed tiles from small manufacturers like Heath Ceramics and Fireclay. That's a COMPLETELY different matter.

These tiles have beautiful depth and variation. No two are alike and they are so beautiful. It's seriously art on your wall.

See here:
https://www.fireclaytile.com/blog/full/foggy-morning/
https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/

That's my personal favorite, the Foggy Morning. With or without the black patina. But ANY of their colors ( or by any similar maker) are show stoppers. The unique, artisan and customized look is really apparently the minute you view it. And make your space unique in the BEST way while still being very neutral and appealing to a broad variety of people.

They do cost a bit. Usually $30-60 or more a square foot (I believe the basic Foggy Morning in a standard subway tile is about 38-40 a square foot)

But I highly recommend you research these types of tiles. And also get samples. Fireclay will send you 5 samples. I recommend you narrow it down to no more than two or three colors. And then get the two of one color. Two of another, and then one in the least likely color. You can really see the variations when you see a number of tiles with the same color.

Also, at least here in the Bay Area, there are high end tile showrooms that will carry these tiles. TOTALLY worth going.

This is Foggy Morning here:

45333_700_470_84_int.jpg

msg101107257810.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
sparkleaddict|1467087229|4049081 said:
We did grey "crackle glaze" subway tiles and I loooove them. The colour is not uniform which I like and the crackle glaze means they have the faintest sparkle when the spotlights are on. Not a cheap option tho, and given our current overrun on other parts of the build we probably could have found a more economical option - but I still love them!

The main part of our house in 1920's.

Gorgeous! And I love your pendant fixtures!! Thanks for sharing.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1467091002|4049088 said:
There's subway tile and subway tile.

There's commercial subway tile that all looks uniform and is churned out in droves.

Then there's high end artisan glazed tiles from small manufacturers like Heath Ceramics and Fireclay. That's a COMPLETELY different matter.

These tiles have beautiful depth and variation. No two are alike and they are so beautiful. It's seriously art on your wall.

See here:
https://www.fireclaytile.com/blog/full/foggy-morning/
https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/

That's my personal favorite, the Foggy Morning. With or without the black patina. But ANY of their colors ( or by any similar maker) are show stoppers. The unique, artisan and customized look is really apparently the minute you view it. And make your space unique in the BEST way while still being very neutral and appealing to a broad variety of people.

They do cost a bit. Usually $30-60 or more a square foot (I believe the basic Foggy Morning in a standard subway tile is about 38-40 a square foot)

But I highly recommend you research these types of tiles. And also get samples. Fireclay will send you 5 samples. I recommend you narrow it down to no more than two or three colors. And then get the two of one color. Two of another, and then one in the least likely color. You can really see the variations when you see a number of tiles with the same color.

Also, at least here in the Bay Area, there are high end tile showrooms that will carry these tiles. TOTALLY worth going.

This is Foggy Morning here:

Thanks, Gypsy! Yes, I discovered the various differences in quality just yesterday. The difference is not just visual - the higher quality tiles even feel different in your hands (they are thicker, heavier, etc.). I brought home several samples from less expensive to medium to high-end. I'm still trying to find the right color combinations. It's tricky because I've got cool and warm tones in the same area that work well, but since I'm trying to brighten up the kitchen area, I want to go light with just a hint of warmth.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we did beveled marble subway tile. I love it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love subway tile in a herringbone pattern. But the floor has to be a simple straight set-either wood or tile. Planning my own kitchen re-do as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Momhappy. Can you post pictures of existing kitchen?

We can suggest options.

And yes, there is a definite difference. And especially with a backsplash going with a nicer tile with the varigated glaze gives huge impact to small space.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

What was on the walls before you installed this? We have horrible tile (let's just say our tastes are a bit different than the prior owners) and are looking for options.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
This image that you posted is similar to my situation (a mix of cool & warm tones). I have off-white/light cream cabinets (very similar to those in your picture), stainless steel appliances, dark granite (mostly black with Browns & grays), large (18" squares) ceramic tile floor (off-white, Browns, grays). My walls are gray. I like the brown tones here and there, but after painting my kitchen gray, I wanted to brighten the space even more.

_4479.jpeg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I posted this earlier because it's very similar to my cabinet color and countertop color. I prefer a gray grout though to make the tiles pop.

_4480.jpeg

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1467147876|4049365 said:

What was on the walls before you installed this? We have horrible tile (let's just say our tastes are a bit different than the prior owners) and are looking for options.

We had this red glass tile backsplash accent before. But we took it down and our contractor/painted sanded it smooth enough to install the stainless steel tiles.
kitchenbacksplashbefore_0.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the ones I'd try are as follows at Fireclay:

Ultra creme with Black Patine
Birch
Shell
Ultra creme
Foggy Morning

First two are my favorites. I think Foggy Morning works with both cool and warm and I've seen it in person. And the Ultra Creme is just a lovely neutral and so is the Shell, it's just a matter of which one between the shell and ultra creme you like in the room.

I'd call them and ask for 10 samples. Two of each one so you can see the variation. Shouldn't be a big deal, they might charge you a few bucks.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^thanks so much for your suggestions, gypsy. I looked at their site today and I'll go back and check those colors you mentioned (some of them sound familiar, so I think we are both on the same page in terms of what I'm looking for). I'm also planning to go back into my tile store tomorrow. They had a huge selection, but at the time, I was feeling overwhelmed. Now that I know what I'm looking for, and have some actual numbers (how many square feet, my budget, etc), I think it will be more productive (and fun!). My husband agreed that it was worth it to spend more to get something more unique & better quality. I'd actually love to replace my countertops too, but I just can't justify the cost when there's absolutely nothing wrong with them (except that I wish they were lighter in color). I am crossing my fingers that my backsplash upgrade will be enough to satisfy my need for change :???:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1467161606|4049465 said:
I am crossing my fingers that my backsplash upgrade will be enough to satisfy my need for change :???:
Ha, good luck with that. I changed out the counters, but had no backsplash so added that and then the kitchen cabinets looked weird so I changed those, and then the pendant lights didn't look good so I changed those, and then the faucets had to be changed to match as well as all the cabinet hardware and then the floor all of a sudden needed replacing....

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Well, I've already changed out the pendant lighting and the table lighting, painted the walls, ordered a new window covering, and upgraded the faucet. I would love lighter countertops (maybe quartz or something more unique), but like I said, I just can't justify ripping out perfectly good countertops. The home improvement projects are never-ending, so the countertops are pretty far down on the list. The black granite might not be ideal, but it works and I think the new backsplash will have a major impact.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh, I see, well, with that full confession, I can understand why the new backsplash may satisfy your itch.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Let's hope so.... Crossing fingers ;-)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't figured out if there is a way to get images off of Houzz, but here's a link to a bath with a subway I love. It believe they are hand-glazed too, and this shows it in a slightly elongated size. Works beautifully in a traditional style, but offers that bit of 'something different' you seem to appreciate also.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/2174477/Greenbrae-CA-transitional-bathroom-other-metro

And here's info for the tile:
http://www.mexicanhandcraftedtile.com
Page 7 of the Catalog (that's from Houzz, I think it's currently on page 6)
From the Suprema Gloss Sollid Tiles in 2" x 8.5"
"Touch of Gray."

If you like it, be sure to read the Product Info page. Very interesting information. Actually, it's good information regardless because I sense you like high quality goods and this info might apply to any hand-glazed tiles.

On another note, I have a very similar style & color scheme as yours. Soft white cabinets with black counters. I chose the antiqued (also known as leathered) finish for our countertops. It has a nice matte finish, but has texture unlike honed which is smooth. It wears better than honed in that it doesn't show fingerprints or dust. Anyway, my point is to ask if it's possible to have your granite refinished? Maybe that would also scratch your itch just a bit more, as it will have a different effect. Our granite is very dark black, but people are always mistaking it for soapstone because of the finish. I am assuming yours is polished because of the sample photo you've provided where it's polished. If not, NM! :))

If I hadn't continued the granite for our walls (our kitchen is open with only two upper cabinets, so we have very little under-cabinet wall space), I would have gone with a subway. Much like the kind Gypsy has posted. I think it will look amazing, and I really like the herringbone accent you posed. I like a little touch of 'something' but on the subtle side, letting the subway be gorgeous itself.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^That's interesting and not something that I would have thought of. Yes, my granite is polished. I am definitely going to check that out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results