shape
carat
color
clarity

Subscription Boxes

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else do these? Which ones have you tried?

I was on a kick with them for a couple/few years but it seems to be winding down. For now anyway haha. I've done Birchbox, BoxyCharm, and Ipsy. My last FabFitFun box is on its way and then I won't have any more box subscriptions.

I'm thinking about Book of the Month Club or something like that next but not sure yet. If that counts as a "subscription box." No real reason, I just think it's all kind of fun.

You?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I do, but it's for my birds! Monthly treats and toys (although I'm considering canceling because the birds are very geared towards two styles of toy and ignore pretty much everything else we get, which feels like a waste of money. The toys I know they love I can get at my local store, and I'd feel a bit better about supporting a local business).

The only subscription "box" I ever did for myself was Woxer, I got three new pairs ever other month for a while, but have enough to get me through about 3 weeks without running out if I don't have enough laundry.

I've considered a "bacon of the month", whiskey, and athletic apparel subscriptions, but never followed through with ordering.

Book of the Month sounds great, especially if you can pick the genre or have it be a complete mystery.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
I get a quarterly Gin box. It’s great - couple of snacks, a full 750ml bottle of Australian craft gin, a couple of craft tonic waters plus some garnishes like dried citrus slices. All boxed up with a booklet discussing the gin and its maker along with serving notes and recipes.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did one of those meal prep subscriptions for a very short period, but they ended up being just as much work as preparing a meal myself and the portion sizes were way too small.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did with beers, then stopped as I was not drinking fast enough as I don't like drinking on my own at home unless I am having a substantial meal at weekends.

I tried some meal kits with 3 pots per meal containing dried herbs/spices/sauces etc., to add to fresh produce that I have to buy myself.

Portion size was geared towards 2 people and I am on my own, not an issue as such as long as I could keep the uneaten portion in the freezer for later.

However, I found their meals rather uninspiring and I could do better with what I have at home, so that was stopped.

The only subscription now is for my dog for his wet and dry food. I like it as there is a variety of wet food in single portion aluminium trays.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During lockdown, I used to get Hello Fresh, and was really pleased with the price and selection of meals. Once we were able to get out to the shops again, I stopped getting them.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During lockdown, I used to get Hello Fresh, and was really pleased with the price and selection of meals. Once we were able to get out to the shops again, I stopped getting them.

I subscribe to Hello Fresh. I found their portion sizes and menu selection to be better than the others I tried.

While I still have to prep/cook (which I don't mind), it takes the stress out of weekly meal planning and grocery shopping. Now I can go and just buy staples and things for a couple of meals based on what is available. Bouncing between two households and working full time, it's a real lifeline.

I tried Walden Local for meats for about a year. I love the idea of supporting local farms but the limited ability to choose left a lot of things sitting in the freezer unused. (Requires planning to use cuts I don't ordinarily use) A co-worker of mine loves butcherbox but I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do one for quilting. It is called a Wool Box, and it comes with projects using wool and lots of embroidery. I have been doing it for 4 years, just starting the 5th. There have been two multi year projects and a lot of smaller ones. I love it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I subscribe to Factor75. With my intermittent fasting schedule, it doesn't make sense to shop and prepare meals when I can pop a ready-made in the microwave for 2 minutes.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I am a Sitka Salmon Shares subscriber, though I definitely skip months. High quality wild-caught fish, including varieties that would be hard to find locally like King salmon. It is pricey, but I have seen some pretty significant health benefits from switching most of my protein consumption to fish.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do Novica's Undiscovered Box because the craftsmanship is always fantastic and they let me pick what I want in the box. I mainly pick jewelry and housewares.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ages and ages ago.

“World of Beauty,” which I think was one of the first cosmetics subscriptions boxes. It was fun at first, but it wasn’t long before it felt like I was inundated with stuff I’d never use in colors that just didn’t work.

Both books and cds (the musical variety) in a “of the month” format. The CD “club” offered some wonderful deals and helped me build my music library. The book club resulted in my buying a lot of books that I aspired to reading but few that I actually read.

My favorite subscription was more of a sample buying plan. A yarn company called Élann used to send out eight sample mini-skeins per month How I looked forward to getting these fat envelopes! They offered wonderful deals in multiple full skeins too, as well as corresponding knitting patterns. I ended up with many boxes of yarn - I guess I was saved from myself when Élann changed its business model and quit sending out the sample mini-skeins!

Having had to purge both my parents’ home and my own in the past few years, the idea of a subscription box of any sort doesn’t have much appeal for me any more. I am trying to wean myself off of an interesting e-bay fabric source, however…

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During covid I signed up for all the various food boxes and found Fresh Prep boxes (like goodfood/hello fresh but locally based), and I have not given them up! We were ordering sooooo much take out/delivery, and this ends up being less and with super high quality proteins so I think it's a good trade off. We do 3 nights a week, so we cook for ourselves the other nights, but its so much less planning and waste. This company also has zero waste formats, so unlike normal boxes with a shit ton of plastic and garbage there are reusable containers that they pick up on their next drop off <3 It makes my anti-garbage self so happy.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have tried several and am not a fan--I don't like surprises, I want to have control over what they send me

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ages and ages ago.

“World of Beauty,” which I think was one of the first cosmetics subscriptions boxes. It was fun at first, but it wasn’t long before it felt like I was inundated with stuff I’d never use in colors that just didn’t work.

Both books and cds (the musical variety) in a “of the month” format. The CD “club” offered some wonderful deals and helped me build my music library. The book club resulted in my buying a lot of books that I aspired to reading but few that I actually read.

My favorite subscription was more of a sample buying plan. A yarn company called Élann used to send out eight sample mini-skeins per month How I looked forward to getting these fat envelopes! They offered wonderful deals in multiple full skeins too, as well as corresponding knitting patterns. I ended up with many boxes of yarn - I guess I was saved from myself when Élann changed its business model and quit sending out the sample mini-skeins!

Having had to purge both my parents’ home and my own in the past few years, the idea of a subscription box of any sort doesn’t have much appeal for me any more. I am trying to wean myself off of an interesting e-bay fabric source, however…

I remember World of Beauty!
When we were teenagers, my sister used to get it and we were SO excited when it would come in the mail!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I've tried Boxycharm and Ipsy and found the quality of the products quite disappointing.

I subscribe to Boxwalla now, both Beauty and Book. You get fewer books/products because its bi-monthly but they are very well-curated and less overwhelming. The book selection in particular is amazing! There's usually one fixed book for every box and another that you can pick out of three options. You know what you are getting beforehand and I like it a lot. A good way to make myself read more :lol:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
We kinda fell into trying out a couple of them for the next couple weeks. We have a friend staying with us and she went suddenly to visit a friend so she told us to just eat her stuff for the next couple weeks while she is gone so it doesn't go bad. Which includes the refrigerated Factor meals. I had one for lunch today and really enjoyed it. I personally despise cooking. So instead of eating a fiber bar for my lunch I had something I would never have cooked for myself. Might be interested in buying them for us so we eat lunches out less when my husband is working from home.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
got a couple of meat boxes durring covid
really awsome quality and cost effetive but the new increased freight prices has now made them very unaffoarable

i tried another closer brand and it got lost (stolen in transist id say)
they come very well packed and cold but just on a regualr courier
nooooooooooooooooooooo way did i want that thing if it turned up monday after being sent over night for friday ! (it had also been a very hot weekend
it took ages to get my refund which did not make me at all happy

so just went back to getting meat online with our supermarket order
at least it comes in a refridgerated truck with a freezer section and right to my front door anyway

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get Walden Local Meats, mainly to support the local farmers. I find that I can always pick things that I like to cook, but I cook pretty much every night, as I enjoy it and it relaxes me.
I tried a clothing one, Stitch Fix, but I didn't like the fabrics. And it seemed repetitious. I never wear any of those pieces now.
My dog's prescription food is on an auto order if that counts.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prior to Mrs Sledge, I dated a crazy blonde from NYC. She absolutely loved my chocolate lab, Stella, and got a Bark Box or something like that each month until I dumped her. Poor Stella. She misses the treats & toys but she's plenty spoiled so I guess she'll survive.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do the ipsy full size with the glam bag X. I'm a skincare/cosmetics junkie and I've found myself well on the side of it being worthy. Anything I know I won't use I save to giveaway to colleagues so it works out well. Do be prepared for things you won't use!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We did ones for the kids for years from Tinker Crate. They loved them. When they got older we moved them up an age category to harder ones. My son’s was the Maker Crate one and it was various projects to build. He learned so much and became really adept at putting things together. My daughter moved into an art crate called Doodle Crate and she loved it as well. She learned all kinds of different things from those art projects—one had embroidery, one had crochet, lots of painting.

Other than that we haven’t done boxes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prior to Mrs Sledge, I dated a crazy blonde from NYC. She absolutely loved my chocolate lab, Stella, and got a Bark Box or something like that each month until I dumped her. Poor Stella. She misses the treats & toys but she's plenty spoiled so I guess she'll survive.

poor Sella

HGar

Shiny_Rock
9D3D9390-53E9-42A8-9BFC-2F4C65FCF914.jpeg

My newest Gin subscription arrived today and I thought I’d show you how beautifully it comes each quarter.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock

Same here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results