shape
carat
color
clarity

Style Trends: 80s, 90s, 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so neat how styles always come back in fashion!!!

Which styles do you remember from which decade?

80s: yellow gold rounds, cluster rings, omega chains and colored gems seemed to be more the rage than diamonds.

90s: yellow gold solitaires with marquises, cathedral settings, chunky rings with lots and lots of diamonds & tennis bracelets in YG

2000-present: platinum rings, white gold, halos & princesses
30.gif
. micropave

I kind of miss yellow gold! It looks SO much better on my skin...and I think it''s so "in" right now and lovely, too. But I can''t wear it and my wedding set at the same time. Boo hoo.

Will our current styles have our kids rolling their eyes one day, saying -- Mom, your wedding set is SO 2006!!!!?
41.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
80''s yellow gold herringbone chains. Agg, I had one and I thought it was so great. but it kinked, never laid straight, and would catch my hair. Yellow gold everything. Cluster rings. Cluster everything.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 11:32:45 AM
Author:Julian

Will our current styles have our kids rolling their eyes one day, saying -- Mom, your wedding set is SO 2006!!!!?
41.gif
LOL...you can bet on it!!!!
2.gif

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I''m weird, but I *like* dated rings because they totally say "I''ve been married since THIS was popular!!" I guess I don''t see wedding rings as a fashion statement... I mean sure, the day you pick them out I think you should get what fits your taste to a T and then be stuck with it the rest of your life hahaha :D

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 1:06:32 PM
Author: widget
Date: 10/27/2006 11:32:45 AM

Author:Julian

41.gif

LOL...you can bet on it!!!!
2.gif

widget

I''m scared of this. I like my micropave ring - but I''m sure in five years it will be tragically 2005! Hopefully my guy will let me change my ering setting, and put a sapphire or something in the current setting.

Scintillating...

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder what the wedding set styles/trends will be in 2020?

Diamonds embedded on the ring finger? Virtual diamonds?

The metal of the moment will be invisible! Ha ha. Not to be found on the periodic table of elements...

Or maybe everything will be consolidated onto the PDAs and you''ll embed your e-diamond there.
31.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Actually, My Ring style has been around a long long time...

I beleive the style became popular in the Medieval times.

So my kids would so, "MOM, your ring is soooooo ancient style" and I would be quite proud.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 10:00:32 AM
Author: MINE!!
Actually, My Ring style has been around a long long time...

I beleive the style became popular in the Medieval times.

So my kids would so, ''MOM, your ring is soooooo ancient style'' and I would be quite proud.
with the pave diamond halo and matching eternity bands? hahaha!!! ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2006 12:48:31 PM
Author: asscherisme
80''s yellow gold herringbone chains. Agg, I had one and I thought it was so great. but it kinked, never laid straight, and would catch my hair. Yellow gold everything. Cluster rings. Cluster everything.
I have one of the modified chains that isnt'' as bad but it still is what it is lol How about gold nugget jewelry? My mom has an emerald cut emerald in the most horrendous nugget ring!! I should set that stone free LOL

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Actually, yes.. My halo is not pave, channel set is more like it. Right after Roman times they would put many stones and diamonds in a row, instead of doing a single e-ring stone. The halo... that is more recent, I must admit, but the bands are not eternity, so that means that it is a row diamonds, instead of an eternity.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, sounds like a TRUE classic then! And what a lovely classic it is....
30.gif

You know... it kind of does look like what a knight would give to his fair lady!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I remember marquise diamonds in a perpendicular channel set ring with several channels. Channel setting in yellow gold was very popular in the late 80''s and 90''s. I think white gold came into fashion around the turn of the 21st century. It seems like before that it was pretty much yellow gold. But I live in the midwest and we''re the last to get with the new trends. Before I got engaged I really didn''t notice erings. I was an earring, necklace, bracelet girl. I remember feather earrings in the late 70''s when I first got my ears pierced. Of course, I was not allowed to wear them until I got into junior high. I had to wear just little stud earrings.

My kids will probably say, "You finally made up your mind. I''m not saying ANYthing or you might change your mind again, and then where would my college fund be???"

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 9:28:01 PM
Author: lumpkin
I remember marquise diamonds in a perpendicular channel set ring with several channels. Channel setting in yellow gold was very popular in the late 80''s and 90''s. I think white gold came into fashion around the turn of the 21st century. It seems like before that it was pretty much yellow gold.
when I was a kid my step-grandmother had a plat ring and I wanted one my whole life.... but when we got married in 1991 plat was SO hard to find and way more money (relative) than it is now... so I got yellow gold and channel set LOL!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 6:18:57 PM
Actually, yes.. My halo is not pave, channel set is more like it. Right after Roman times they would put many stones and diamonds in a row, instead of doing a single e-ring stone. The halo... that is more recent, I must admit, but the bands are not eternity, so that means that it is a row diamonds, instead of an eternity.
I was just teasing you
9.gif
but yeah, the rounded gemstone is DEFINITELY olllllllllld fashioned!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am cracking up remembering the gold nugget stuff...so nasty when I think back. I had a ring that was supposed to be the Oz, the Emerald City more exactly, done in chunky gold nugget with a (probably) fake chunk of emerald in it, I cringe when I think of it!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I crack up remembering nugget jewelry, too! It's like acid washed jeans...WE ALL PARTICIPATED! LOL.

But I gotta say, it all depends on the wearer. Sometimes it really is so sweet to see older styles on older ladies. It's sentimental and that makes me feel warm inside.

Anyone remember the multiple bangles that we Madonna clones used to wear?

Double ear piercings? I wanted to at one time, but my mother forbid it!

How about those colored gemstone rings you always saw in the Sears catalogues? I remember how much I loved looking through those as a little girl. They came with the Sunday paper and even as a little girl, I loved looking at all kinds of jewelry!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I need to see a picture of this infamous ''nugget'' jewelery, because I don''t remember that at all.

The dreadful ''fashions'' I wore then are burned into my mind, but all I remember was my mother''s plain YG wedding band... that I used to wear sometimes and somehow must have knocked off my night table and into the heating vent, because it disappeared and I could never find it. She forgave me for losing it (they were long divorced by then) but I cringe with horror and regret every time I think about it, even to this day...
15.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Galateia...Here's a picture of gold nugget earrings. I tried to find some examples closer to what was more prevalent... but this was the best I could do!

nuggets!.jpg

reader

Brilliant_Rock
The other necklace trend here was silk ropes in yellow gold, and yes it had to have the tiny diamond near the clasp...herringbones, ''Mr T starter sets'' of multiple neckchains in YG..full ear piercings, stacking thin shanked, yellow gold rings on every finger. Wedding sets were all about the wraps, with a channel set anniversary band, all in 14k yellow..

reader

Brilliant_Rock
How many of you still have your 80s stuff?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will there even be engagement rings in 2020 or will they be renamed committment rings or partnership rings (as there are rings appearing with these names now), or will it be too feminine to wear diamonds and show a lack of power. Who knows?

I like platinum best now, better than gold, but in the 80s, 90s when I saw an older woman with white gold or platinum I thought their rings were ancient like back to victorian times and old fashioned looking. To me then, yellow gold looked more modern. Now it seems to be the other way around, I see white metals as more modern.

I like the PDA diamonds.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I still have a 3 coloured gold herringbone chain, gold half-sovereign, (they were popular in the UK in the 80s), lots of cheap gold necklaces, like faith,hope,charity, horn of plenty, dolphin earrings, onyx little oblong gold ring, dolphin bangle, ring with my name on, oh and diamante earrings in the shape of a cocktail glass, costume jewellery parrot earrings, costume jewellery thick stiff collarette gold coloured. Oh and yes I had the madonna clone lots of bangles.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I still have a herringbone bracelet, a ton of thin gold rings, and some yg hoops.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 9:36:07 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 10/29/2006 6:18:57 PM

I was just teasing you
9.gif
but yeah, the rounded gemstone is DEFINITELY olllllllllld fashioned!!

No worries, I was answering with a grin... it is hard to express humor in my posts, and my humor is really dry, so I knew you were teasing..
28.gif

Lets see, I have ... herringbone necklaces and I have one of those necklaces that you can add a little "gold" bead to.... but I chewed the beads when I was 9 or so, and now they are all rippled and crushed.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I have tons and tons of those colored gemstone rings in yg from when I was a little girl. My mom used to indulge me whenever we went to the Macy's jewelry counter (cringe!) when I was a wee thing.

I have NO idea what to do with them except to perhaps give them to my little girl one day...once I have her. LOL. If I am to be so blessed, because who knows?

One or two rings I could salvage. One has a .75 carat Burmese ruby in it that I could turn into a bezel set pendant... But I don't know if rubies would look good in white gold or platinum. It looks so lovely in yg.
39.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 12:22:15 AM
Author: reader
The other necklace trend here was silk ropes in yellow gold, and yes it had to have the tiny diamond near the clasp...herringbones, ''Mr T starter sets'' of multiple neckchains in YG..full ear piercings, stacking thin shanked, yellow gold rings on every finger. Wedding sets were all about the wraps, with a channel set anniversary band, all in 14k yellow..
I resemble that remark!!! lol ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2006 9:48:19 PM
Author: Julian
I crack up remembering nugget jewelry, too! It''s like acid washed jeans...WE ALL PARTICIPATED! LOL.

But I gotta say, it all depends on the wearer. Sometimes it really is so sweet to see older styles on older ladies. It''s sentimental and that makes me feel warm inside.

Anyone remember the multiple bangles that we Madonna clones used to wear?

Double ear piercings? I wanted to at one time, but my mother forbid it!

How about those colored gemstone rings you always saw in the Sears catalogues? I remember how much I loved looking through those as a little girl. They came with the Sunday paper and even as a little girl, I loved looking at all kinds of jewelry!
Okay, sorry - I *always* thought nugget jewelry was ugly LOL and I never did acid washed jeans either and never double pierced my ears!

When I looked at the catalog as a child i looked at jewelry but I looked at the kid baking sets even more - and the freaking nursing bras!!!!!! I was weird! I couldn''t*wait* to nurse, even at 8 LOL

In the early 80''s I most definitely did the valley girl bangle thing...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 12:23:46 AM
Author: reader
How many of you still have your 80s stuff?
I do, but only because I was gonna throw it away and my mom wanted it and SHE wore it until she died at which point it came back to me... LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 3:36:50 PM

No worries, I was answering with a grin... it is hard to express humor in my posts, and my humor is really dry, so I knew you were teasing..
28.gif
Oh good... my personality just does not fit into a typing box in any way and humor is most definitely lost on the internet LOL

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
CehraBehra, you are lucky to never have participated in the acid washed jeans fad!

I was in 4th grade and my mom decked me out in the Guess? jeans JACKET AND PANTS. I am sure it was quite horrendous. Even more surprising is how I have not blocked out this childhood trauma. I may even have PTSD!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results