shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madison

Rough_Rock
I have noticed on this site that when people ask the most simple and stupid questions that the answer could be found only if they bothered to read Pricescope, these people get tons of responses, but if a serious question is asked the responses are zero or very few, it''s very frustrating.
confused.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to speak for the forum but I know when I don't answer a particular question, it's because I have nothing to contribute. I notice you just bought a 3c radiant (lovely!) and are looking for information on how to set it. As you noted, there have been many other questions in the past on settings. Use the archive search. Run a search on setting questions...we have a few threads that have tons of links. In the end a setting is a very personal thing, you may just see and love it. Someone suggested Leon Mege which is an excellent idea. Also check out Mark Morrell (I think its www.mwm.com). If you like filigree or old fashioned looks, view www.tacori.com and www.faycullen.com. These threads I mention will have all of these links most likely, but that should get you started.

However, if your posts don't get many responses, chances are it's because people don't have anythng to add or don't know what you are asking. This board is pretty helpful in general to the average user...but more people on here are most familiar with round brilliant stones so unfortunately most of those questions get 90% of the attention.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer is simple.
sheer numbers

Im fairly new around here but this is how I see it:
counting only regular posters not counting the ones that lurk and I don't know about:
4-5 people that can, will, and have time too answer any question no matter how hard.
10-15 people that that can, will and have time to answer the medium ones
dozens of people that can, will and have time to answer the easy ones.

Before flaming me on my numbers keep my disclaimer in mind.

Some of the simple questions I could answer but I don't know enough yet not to make a fool out of myself.
So what I do is form an answer then wait for someone to answer and compare my answer to theirs this allows me to test myself and fill in gaps in my knowledge.
If no one else answers then right or wrong I will post my answer with a disclaimer.

As far as stupid questions go there are no stupid questions everyone has to start someplace.
When a help board gets the attitude that any question is too stupid to deserve an answer the board is no longer serving people.
It becomes a social club for the chosen few and when they wander off as almost all internet board users are prone to do the board withers.
Iv seen it on dozens of boards and hope it does not happen here.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You also have to remeber that when rather direct questions about a particular diamond, vendor, or situation with a vendor are asked, others in the trade may/should find it possible to make only the most general responses and not to make specific comments without them appearing to be self-serving or back biting...thus the silence at times.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I'll just add, that part of the problem in whether trade members will answer a question is how it is asked, and this to some extent limits how helpful we might be.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
but if a serious question is asked the responses are zero or very few, it's very frustrating.
-----------

Perhaps you had a tough question. What was it?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I thought the answer to be too simple to reply - in other words - I didn't think I was understanding the question.

The radiant is the center the two trilliants broad side to the diamond. As far as settings, the meat of the setting will have custom made by a platinumsmith. Is this what you asked?

Also, again, specific questions sometimes can't illicit a broad range of answers. Also, since I am very unversed w/ radiants, I defer to someone who is more familiar.

Good luck.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I ran across your question(s) on your other post:

-----------
I will be getting a 3 carat radiant square cut engagement ring of F color. I have chosen to have
two matching trapezoids on the side at 1/2 carat on each side.
What would be the best angle to have these side stones setted?
-----------

Tough question. The setter is the best one to answer this for you. The angle is usually determined by how wide the ring is going to be in relationship to your finger, and your personal taste. It's more a visual thing than something that could conveyed over a computer posting.

I personally like a mid-range angle, as opposed to an angle approaching the horizontal level of the stone, or a real steep inclining angle.

-----------
Also how high should the stones be set? Personally I do not like rings that are set high such as in
cathedral settings.
-----------

With a 3 carat you're going to have some height to it because of the depth of the stone. Shoot for mid-height, instead of high.

-----------
I am still undecided with the style of setting, but I am leaning towards an X-prong, truffle
setting, or hugs and kisses.
-----------

Excellent looks. You can't go wrong with any of them. It's just a matter of personal taste.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Geez, senior moment - trapezoids not trilliants.

Now, I have absolutely nothing to contribute. No expertise in the matter at all.

Good luck.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, hubby already sees "driving Miss Fire&Ice" in the near future first.
9.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
-----------
I will be getting a 3 carat radiant square cut engagement ring of F color. I have chosen to have
two matching trapezoids on the side at 1/2 carat on each side.
What would be the best angle to have these side stones setted?
-----------

I appreciate your question but I don't have an answer for you. Off hand I would probably use something around 25 degrees down from the table of the center diamond but the jeweler setting the diamond is more of an expert here.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/8/2003 10:55:14 AM madison wrote:

I have noticed on this site that when people ask the most simple and stupid questions that the answer could be found only if they bothered to read Pricescope, these people get tons of responses----------------

I guess this is normal: after all, Pricescope addresses a certain range of topics about diamonds and does not attept to be a live encyclopedia. Also, quite a few new posters came with questions related to the default content they find posted here beside the Forum: which I believe to be a very mainstream approach indeed. It would be hard for each person posting answers to rewrite evry bit of literature one can find posted on this site, so basic questions may get directed to some documentation. Does such practice create a bias in favor of 'Pricescope teachings'? Maybe, but how much does one know about diamonds when making that one-in-alifetime choice about these exepnsive, unusual items? As you may notice, most PS threads cary distinctive marks of posters trying to understand the priorities and taste of the question's author. Taking myself as the best example I know: I have different tastes than most buyers here have, but have not (yet) tried to make anyone buy my favorite diamond shape (this would be hard, I like them ROUGH).
I hope that your question, will get the proper answer too. Posting choices for people to comment on would probably prompt more answers and opinions, as usual. Welcome to Pricescope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results