shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid question?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I have a question...it is kind of stupid, but I honestly dont know the answer, so figured I would ask. Let say I have my current diamond set into my dream setting now, and in a few years I upgrade to a stone that is significantly bigger- like 1/2ct more, but still want to keep the setting the same. How involved is the process to re-set the new stone ( we are talking about a basket setting)? Would the whole head/ basket/prongs need to be re-made to fit my new diamond? Are we talking a lot of $$$? Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many settings have a degree of adaptability to hold larger sizes. Yours might go the extra size or maybe it can be altered nicely to fit a larger stone. Sometimes this won''t work so well, but maybe a similar ring is made that holds the larger size better and looks just like a slightly larger version of what you now have.

A new mounting is a costly thing, but it isn''t the price of a Ferrari, either. Each of us decides how much is too much, but for a price, someone can do what needs to happen.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Along those same lines (not trying to hijack here), but I am interested in changing my ring from 6 prongs to 4 and raising the diamond up higher. Just wondering how expensive this would be to do. Any ideas? See ring below - sorry not the best pic but the bottom of the diamond sits low into the band part:

1ring031.JPG

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Question to add to this one? I am looking to get a ring for my Future Fiancee, she told me that she wants to have a setting exactly like her grandmother, on fathers side. Anyway my question is similiar to Dani''s but is it possible to do this and get it done properly for and Surprise engagement
hope that makes sense?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dani, are you thinking about the Ritani?? If so, you should call Bill Pearlman but I''m guessing they would have to remake the head to fit a larger stone since the head is already made to the exact dementions of the stone it supposed to hold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2006 3:01:10 PM
Author: findarock
Question to add to this one? I am looking to get a ring for my Future Fiancee, she told me that she wants to have a setting exactly like her grandmother, on fathers side. Anyway my question is similiar to Dani''s but is it possible to do this and get it done properly for and Surprise engagement
hope that makes sense?
You''re going to have to take the ring to someone if they are to copy it. Or at least take several good close-up photos. I see no other way to reproduce the setting unless you just happen to find one like it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 3:04:42 PM
Author: mrssalvo
dani, are you thinking about the Ritani?? If so, you should call Bill Pearlman but I'm guessing they would have to remake the head to fit a larger stone since the head is already made to the exact dementions of the stone it supposed to hold.
Yep, you guessed it, MrsS!!!
2.gif
I am just trying to really think about whether I should reset my EC into the Ritani now, or just wait and keep my current setting, and then later down the road, especially since I eventually plan on upgrading, do it then....But, that probably wont be for at least a few years...so I just wanted to see how involved the process would be.

I would have to replace the head, huh? So we are not talking so so much $$$, right?
6.gif
I think I would really love to do the Ritani set now...at least b/c I know I am going to have my current stone for sometime, and who really knows 100% if I will every upgrade!! I would like to, but you never know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results