shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller setting oxidizing after less than 2 months. Suggestions?

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies and gents,

The white gold portion of my two-tones new Stuller setting is changing color.
It now has a yellow tint and has lost most of its shine. Shouldn't happen in less than 2 months of partial wear, right?

I have other white gold jewelry that I've been wearing daily for years that never oxidized. I contacted the seller, he says there is nothing he can do besides shipping the ring to Stuller for inspection. I really don't want to do that, as I'm in Canada, I would have to plan another trip to the US to go and pick it up. That's a lot of money for me to spend right now and I am not in a good predicament.

I have attached a couple of pics with the ring beside two different ones I've been wearing for a long time, just to give you an idea. Even though they do not show the difference as much as in real life, this is to give you an idea of what is going on. The problematic ring in on the left on the first pic (quite obvious I guess), and at the bottom on the second one.
Has anything like this happened to any of you?
Any comments, suggestion or ideas on how I should process now will be appreciated.

IMG_20191115_214210 (1).png IMG_20191120_054613.png

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
bad plating it looks like to me. Polish an replate is something that can be done a lot of places.

But, why should I have to pay for this, less than 2 months after I got the ring??
That's what I don't understand!
Do I have any recourse?

Thank you for your reply!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, this is the first time I've ever heard of the rhodium plating on a Stuller white gold setting "fading away" so quickly when worn by someone who's not experienced that before (some people's body chemistry is such that rhodium plating on their rings doesn't hold up nearly as well for them as it does or other people). I'm sorry that this has happened to your ring. Did your jeweler indicate that he, like KarlK, thinks the "tarnish" is due to the rhodium plating being thinner than the norm or otherwise poorly done?
But, why should I have to pay for this, less than 2 months after I got the ring??
That's what I don't understand!
Do I have any recourse?

Thank you for your reply!
Honestly, I think that what your jeweler proposed-- sending it back to Stuller for their inspection; presumably if they find that this wasn't up to their usual quality control standards, they would replace at no charge -- is reasonable recourse. But since this is not acceptable to you, how about offering to split the cost of what your local jeweler would charge for re-plating, i.e., you pay half; he absorbs the other half? That way, neither you nor he would have to bear the full cost of fixing something that isn't his fault or yours.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take it to a local jeweler, do not let them do any work on it but have what the issue is confirmed and an estimate on repair.
Then decide what you want to do and talk to the seller as suggested by MM above.
The plating was defective if that is verified as the problem.
It should not have done that as you have not had problems with other plated rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results