shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller Red Box Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, I am new and this is my first post. I have enjoyed reading all the posts as I am trying to figure this whole diamond buying process thing out. I am looking to trade in my .71 princess H color and VS1 in clarity with the jeweler that I bought my current ring from. I am wanting to go to appx. a 1.25 and today he brought in 3 diamonds for me to see. They were all from this place called Stuller company and had a "red box diamond theme" where the loose stone was actually presented in a red box. 2 of the diamonds were the princess cuts and the other was a radiant. I have never seen one in person and wanted to view one. The radiant did not strike my fancy so that one is out. The problem is, from what I can gather on here is the stones are cut too deep. Here are the specs if you don''t mind. I have a copy of the GIA certs and I will print what is on them. If anything else is needed I don''t have it. (sorry)

Stone 1

Rectangular Modified Brilliant 1.25 ct, 6.07x5.44x4.55, depth 81.8, table 71, girdle thick to very thick, culet-none, Polish/symmetry-Good/Good, VS1, G color, Fluorescence-None, Comments-None

Stone 2
Square Shape, 1.23 ct, 5.77x5.49x4.38, depth 79.8, table 68.8, girdle very thick, culet-none, Polish/Symmetry-Good/Good, VS2, G color, Fluorescence-None, Comments-Cloud, crystal, needle,feather

Both stones seem rather expensive, stone 1 is $6281.25 after $3500 for my diamond and stone 2 is $5646.00 after $3500 for my stone.

Both stones were very beautiful, but if they were not so deep would it be a prettier stone. And is it too much money for the stones? And is there something special about this particular company?

The jeweler also told me that if I did not trade in my stone that he would beat any internet price by under 100.00, of course this is on comparable diamonds.

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

Heather

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H, Heather, welcome to PS.

If you are comfortable with spending 6K, I rec'd you get this stone and just keep your original: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/60506.html
It's a better deal than what your jeweler is offering: you will have TWO stones, for the same price. And this one is bigger and an AGS Ideal cut.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Stuller is an established, reliable wholesaler when it comes to mountings and so forth, but they''ve only recently gotten into diamonds (they got a De Beers sight last year), and I''m not aware they''ve gone to any great lengths to produce super high-quality cuts.

The Red Boxes are part of their promotional material for their clients. I have a sample sitting around my office somewhere. It''s a cute idea, but you have to judge all diamonds on their own merits, not on the packaging.

stansam

Rough_Rock
Just to clarify, while Stuller did only become a Sightholder in 2005, they have been manufacturing diamonds for over 10 years. There are less than 100 Sightholders in the world, who represent the elite of the industry. The fact that Stuller became a Sightholder is an affirmation of their standing in the diamond industry.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2007 2:27:06 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
Stuller is an established, reliable wholesaler when it comes to mountings and so forth, but they''ve only recently gotten into diamonds (they got a De Beers sight last year), and I''m not aware they''ve gone to any great lengths to produce super high-quality cuts.

The Red Boxes are part of their promotional material for their clients. I have a sample sitting around my office somewhere. It''s a cute idea, but you have to judge all diamonds on their own merits, not on the packaging.
Stuller Red Box does contain a bit more than a diamond and some fancy packaging. The program includes a tradeup program that’s underwritten by Stuller rather than the retailer (or perhaps in addition to the retailer). This can be handy for customers who are interested in the whole trade in business and who are buying from a retailer that may not be there in 10 years. Stuller is a huge player in the business.

Being a bit of a treehugger I count all of that packaging as a bit environmentally irresponsible but there are legitimate reasons to be considering them dispite that.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results