shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller Martini Settings - HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meredith07

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide whether to get the settings for my sister''s diamond stud earrings from the online vendor I purchased the diamonds from or from a local B&M stone.

I like the online vendor settings better because they are handmade and are supposed to be very thin. My sis wants it set in a B&M store because she likes the comfort of knowing she can go to the store at anytime and get them attended to (although I have tried to explain that she can send it to the company or take it to any store for a minimal price.)

The store has the Stuller martini settings. I have read that Stuller mass produces all their merchandise, so it does not have as polished/pretty look as the handmade settings would.

I want to give her what she wants, but not at the expense of the look of the earrings because the diamonds took a long time to find and decide on. Also, because I think that she thinks the handmade ones will be too expensive and she doesn''t want me to spend that much on her.

SO, my question is if I do decide to go with the B&M store would the setting look bulky or would the setting have too much metal?

BTW, the price difference in the two settings is not so grand that I would forgo the handmade one based on the price. (Only like $100 when the setting fee and tax are included.)

Thanks in advance!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would suggest going with the more heavily built Stuller version of the martini earring. The reason being that the more heavily built setting is stronger and more durable. Since the bulk of these earrings is not visible, (since it sort of buries itself in the ear lobe), the look of the setting doesn''t matter quite so much. The Stuller setting doesn''t have quite the shallow angles as some of the other available martini settings, (Roseco for example), though and so does protrude from the ear a bit more. Here''s a picture of the Stuller version and you can see how they''re a bit steeper than the hand made ones probably are.

Martini Earrs1.jpg

meredith07

Rough_Rock
Does this also apply to princess-shaped martini settings?

What I am understanding from this post is that the Stuller settings tend to be more durable/stronger than the handmade. Is that correct?

Is there a higher possibility for a handmade martini to break vs. a Stuller cast martini?

Does it still look pretty or bulky?

BTW - the setting will be in 18kt white gold.

Thanks.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Stuller''s princess martini settings are thinner than the ones I''ve shown here, (I think the picture I posted is for their heaviest weight round setting). In any case you''d mentioned the handmade ones as being thinner. Thinner always means easier to bend, not necessarily break, if you put too much pressure on them. My preference is always dictated by my reluctance to see things come back and so I''m always leaning towards the strongest pieces that I cvan talk people into. In this case I think that either the hand made or Stuller''s princess would look about the same once they were mounted and I doubt if either one would be particularly prone to having problems. 18K gold is a good choice as it is always a little tougher, (meaning that it will bend rather than break), than lower gold content alloys.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results