shape
carat
color
clarity

Study tips for Diamonds & Diamond Grading Course

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Im am new to this message board and im glad I stumbled onto it! I need some advice. Here it goes...I enrolled in the Graduate Gemologist program with G.I.A last September and have already passed the Diamond Essentials course, now im ready for the Diamonds & Diamonds Grading exam (which ill take in 2 weeks), I was wondering if anyone out there has some study tips to help me study further? Unfortunately the extension classes will not be coming to my area until this coming October! Thanks
21.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I found it difficult to grade diamonds with a loupe and a desk lamp, but got through it ok prior to taking the extension grading class where I had all the proper 'scope, etc.

If you don't have a 'scope at home you might find the same problem, so I would find a way to take the extension diamond grading course early in your home study course...at the time I took the extension diamond grading, if you passed it you didn't have to do the actual diamond grading at home...I don't know if this still is the case.

You will need to spring for the equipment sooner or later if you are going to be a serious gemologist so you might as well get it now if you can...you can save $ by purchasing through a Co. like Kassoy, if you find you don't want to pay GIA prices.

Good luck - and have fun!

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gary for your reply. No, I don't have a microscope at home as of yet. Im really out of the "school" loop and am having a bit of a hard time understanding some of the material, there has got to be a certain way to study the material in the books, any suggestions? Ive been a "stay-at-home" mom for 7 years and now that my children are finally all in full time school it gives me the time to pursue my passion for diamonds & gemstones. Im also in the Air Force Reserves so ive been to a couple of tech schools but going to a school is so much different than taking courses at home (no instructor around to ask questions). Im not sure if it would be possible to travel to another state to take the much needed extension classes (that is one of the downfalls of being a stay at home parent...childcare would eat us up!), do you think a company like The Shane Company would allow me to volunteer my time for some hands on experience? Im so new at all of this!! Thanks again!!
21.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I can emphathize with your situation, but you at least have time on your side!

I took about 20 months to finish the program with a full time professional job.

You have to be persistent - put aside time for your study every day and finish at least one lesson a day - the more practical work is best done without interruption, perhaps after the kids have gone to bed.

It would also help to have a few basic gemology reference books, so you can find answers to questions - and don't forget the internet, one of the greatest places to find answers to your questions - just "Google" it!

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Are there any basic gemology reference books you would recommend?

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Claybear1625,

A little off topic, but I have to ask.
2.gif

How did you find the diamond essentials course? I'm planning on taking the colored stones essentials course in the near future, and after looking at the course material, it didn't look interesting at all. Was there lots of "how to sell" and other marketingish "rubbish" in there?

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
TooMuchInformation, I found the Diamond Essentials course through G.I.A., to me it has been very informative and wasn't full of sales stuff, even though there is some. The course basically touches on everything without going into depth like what the Diamonds & Diamonds Grading does. Personally I enjoyed the course even the sales information.
21.gif

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Great, I'm glad to hear it, and still very much looking forward to taking some of these courses!

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to hear that the course was enjoyable!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Claybear1625:

A couple of books: Gemmology (used by FGA students - the excellent British GG program) by P.G.Read and Gems by Webster and Read.

Also, Gemstones of the World by Sterling is great for its small size and color pics.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Gemstones of the World by Sterling

Should be in my mailbox today... I hope.
2.gif

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gary, ill look into those books.
21.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The GG program is about equivalent to a single semester of college in terms of workload and time required. I finished D&DG in about 1.5 months, the GG in about seven (including extension courses). This was with a full time job in addition. They now have an online version in which you can get instant feedback on all the chapter quizzes, which speeds things up considerably.

As far as study tips, I found the material very straighforward--everything you need to know is in there, and it's just a matter of reading carefully and paying attention to the questions they ask at the end of each chapter.

Don't worry about trying to seriously grade diamonds until you get to the extension course. There is really no substitute for hands-on training, but if you can get some before then, then by all means do it. There's no harm in asking.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond Essentials was actually a bit too basic for me but then again I had been hanging around the forums so often....I practically absorbed all the basics by touching the screen.
2.gif
So if you weren't a Pscope obsessed diamond nut, it would actually be quite excellent I would guess.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
As much as I'd love to call myself a diamond nut...

TooMuchInformation:
Total Posts: 50

Mara:
Total Posts: 4,522

I won't (I'm not worthy).

I'll be sure to let everyone know what I thought of the course when I'm done...

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Thanks LawGem for the advice. Boy, you sure finished the course quickly. I sure wish I was speedy, ive got so many distractions going on in my house (im a stay at home mom of three children)and my husband works long hours plus im in the Air Force Reserves which has required more of my time lately (more than the average one weekend a month). Even though ive been to a couple of different Tech schools for the military ive never had any college experience, even though part of me sure wishes I could go back in time and pursue that.
sad.gif
Im more of a "hands on" type of person, books have always been a challenge for me even while doing CDC's (books to study and then take a test to make rank) were not easy, mind you...that stuff is very very boring! Has anyone or yourself used the traveling Student Labs?
21.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I should really qualify my response by mentioning that I got a GG as part of my job, and thus I was able to do a lot of it at work, including taking time off for the extension classes. I did indeed attend a couple of student labs, which were helpful. Had I done all of it outside of work, I am sure that at least the practical stuff would have taken a lot longer, just in terms of finding blocks to time to do it.

It's interesting that you mention military tech schools. I was a Navy nuke some years back, and I would say that the GG courses are similar in a lot of ways to military tech training.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom (with 2 kids) too, so I know what you mean.
2.gif

Claybear1625

Rough_Rock
Hi LawGem, the courses you take in Tech school are so much easier than the ones you take via CDC's, I know I really struggled during Airmen Leadership School which I did in the form of CDC's (couldn't go to the course in Texas due to the kids),(it was really frustrating how the military can spend 5 whole pages on how to listen) and now ill be starting NCO Leadership in the form of CDC's most likely next month. Its nice to know that the GG course are like the military courses, I know with military tests that most (80%) of the end of sections questions are on the test. I have contacted a local jewelry store to see if they offer a mentoring program, they didn't but did want to talk to me and maybe explore opportunities they haven't offered in the past, so we'll see....any hands on experience would be great!!! Ive been a stay at home parent for over 7 years and ill tell you, I feel so out of the loop of things.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results