shape
carat
color
clarity

Studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inspired by the recent rash of stud acquisitions, I'm now in search of a pair. I want Whiteflash ACAs, but have 2 questions:

1. What's the lowest colour and clarity a stud can afford to be?
2. How big should a stud be without being too big? I'm in a conservative profession, and they'd be for everyday use.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 1:43:25 AM
Author:Harriet
Inspired by the recent rash of stud acquisitions, I''m now in search of a pair. I want Whiteflash ACAs, but have 2 questions:

1. What''s the lowest colour and clarity a stud can afford to be?
2. How big should a stud be without being too big? I''m in a conservative profession, and they''d be for everyday use.
I want a pair too and have been wondering the same things about size and color. I''m assuming since I have an I colored diamond for an e-ring that I''s (maybe a good time to try out some J''s) in my ear will be just fine. Diamondseeker posted her new .75''s and they look nice for everyday wear. I''ve been thinking no less than .75 and no more than 1.00. I still haven''t figured out what size for my second hole, though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on the conservative side, and mine are .58 each. It''s a nice size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, my personal guideline is that the earring stones can be up to about half the weight each of the e-ring stone. So if you used my formula, your studs could be up to 1.8 each! However, very honestly, I think studs from 1.0-1.25 each is the max that I think looks acceptable for everyday wear, especially for someone in a conservative profession. (And even then, I think it depends on how big your earlobes are. The bigger the earlobes, the bigger you can manage. One carat would be my absolute max because my earlobes are pretty small.) But I did go try some on to get an idea, and I think that would help you. You''d have to do it somewhere like Tiffany''s who''d have decent diamonds in the studs, though. Other places I found did not put well cut diamonds in studs, so you didn''t really know if the face up size was accurate for a well cut stone of that size or not.

I went with H VS2, but as you know, color is very personal. I think if you want to upgrade the color of your e-ring stone eventually, I''d go no lower than I color for the studs. And SI1 should be okay unless you just like good clarity for mental reasons, like I do.
2.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Harriet,

1. I am not sure of the answer to this question, but here is my 2 cents: I have a pair of G VVS1, and I think they''re OTT for 2 reasons: the G is not necessary for studs and VVS1 is totally OTT since no one will stand so close to my ears with a loupe to examine them. Mind you, my studs are from my e-ring and my 5th wedding anniversary and were bought by my DH (and definitely pre-PS) and I treasure them for sentimental reasons, but if this forum had been around then, we could have saved tons of money or conversely I could have had much bigger earrings for the same amount of money.
3.gif
. Also, as you know, if the stones are well-cut which ACA are, you can go afford to go lower without the colour and clarity showing so much. I''d venture to say and I or a J and SI2 or even I1 as long as the inclusions are not so obvious and unsightly, like large specks of carbon.

2. As for size, mine are both just over 1 carat each and I am a CPA. I think you''re a lawyer, right? My profession I think is even more conversative than yours (though my DH is a lawyer and he''s ultra-conservative!). I''ve never felt self-conscious about my studs and if my e-ring was the same size as yours, i''d go for studs about 1.5 each. Otherwise, it''s a bit of a mis-match, IMO. But it''s all about your own comfort level.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that''s right, what DS said, the ACA will face up much bigger/ have bigger spread. One of my earrings is practically the same carat weight as the other one, yet it looks more like a 1.20. I''d bet that an ACA 1 carat would like more like a 1.30-1.35 esp. on ears, and an 1.5 would look HUGE.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, do you wear your ring to work?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
There are no firm "rules" on all of this Harriet. It depends upon what YOU are comfortable with. I do think you can get away with going a little lower in color and clarity on earrings than you might on your engagement ring. They really aren't inspected very closely when worn on the ear, but getting well cut diamonds is still certainly essential. As for carat weight earlobe size really is a big factor in determining what looks good. Personally I chose H SI2 eye clean ideal cut studs that are 1.25 carats each and I wear them everyday with everything! Try on some different sizes and see what you like.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, before you go and buy something like K-I1 (I exaggerate), consider that you mighht want to use the stones for something else at another point or trade up. I think there''s always something to be said for buying the best quality you can afford.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I have ideally-cut .55, J studs and they face up absolutely white. Given that no one looks at studs in profile, J is truly fine.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Diamondseeker, this is your fault. :)

Ellen, I do wear my e-ring to work.

LienTN, what do you think of the hearts-and-arrows stones that are sold by places like Aspial?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 1:43:25 AM
Author:Harriet
Inspired by the recent rash of stud acquisitions, I''m now in search of a pair. I want Whiteflash ACAs, but have 2 questions:
1. What''s the lowest colour and clarity a stud can afford to be?
2. How big should a stud be without being too big? I''m in a conservative profession, and they''d be for everyday use.
So I guess you will need a tennis bracelet and a diamond pendant and perhaps a RHR too! Pricescope can really cultivate that diamond obsession! You''re not alone.
2.gif

So Harriet, your e-ring is an "I" (possibly a J) VS2, correct? As standard convention goes, a woman usually has the best quality on her finger. You don''t want to upstage your e-ring. Next level of quality is the pendant, then the earrings. The bracelet should have a similar color to the ring, but can be of lesser clarity. No reason you have to be a conventional girl though! Plenty of women are not.

If you go with J''s all around, I''m sure that would be a lovely ensemble for you, especially in ACA''s. With respect to clarity, eye-clean is good for earrings, say clean SI-1 or SI-2. This clarity would work for a tennis bracelet too. I''d go clean SI-1 on a pendant for you.

With respect to stud size, it REALLY depends on your earlobes. Try some on and see what looks good. I like diamondseeker''s rule - I would suggest around 1.5 carats. Given your metropolitan environment, these are big, without being ostentatious. If you want more bling at night, you can get earring jackets - halos or dangles or whatever.

I hope your clients don''t think they are paying you too much with all the new diamonds!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 10:33:24 AM
Author: Harriet

Then you don''t need to worry about what size your studs are. I''ll be honest, I''m perplexed as to why you''re wondering what is a conservative size, as that ring is far from conservative.

This is in no way meant to be a slam, just an observation.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 10:43:13 AM
Starry-eyed,
Now don''t you start being a bad influence. Luckily, I don''t much care for tennis bracelets, pendants, and rhrs. I do love these though:
http://www.harrywinston.com/go.php/d_Jewels/d03_Earrings,Single-Loop
My birthstone is afterall a diamond. :)
Ha-ha! You''re funny! I''m an enabler, for sure. Just thought I''d give you the big-picture ensemble goals for WHEN you start to want a tennis bracelet, pendant, and RHR. We all know it''s just a matter of time.
2.gif

You know you could get studs and then have some custom jackets made that look like those HW loops.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you have or plan to have?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Which piece(s) are you referring to? Dangerous waters to get me started!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your whole jewellery wardrobe.

Ok, I'll admit it. I do want an emerald-cut diamond at some point.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 10:50:13 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/27/2007 10:33:24 AM

Then you don't need to worry about what size your studs are. I'll be honest, I'm perplexed as to why you're wondering what is a conservative size, as that ring is far from conservative.

This is in no way meant to be a slam, just an observation.
Ellen,

No offence taken. You're always helpful. I'm just trying to figure out what's conservative enough in the crazy land of NY.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t comment about NYC. To me, conservative rounds == under a carat each. 0.5-0.6 per side seems too small, my wife already wants an upgrade (also conservative profession), she''s thinking 0.8x-0.9x each, ideal cuts.

Given what you say about ECs, what about something a little different, a pair of carat each (7x5?) EC drop earrings?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, the emerald cut diamond will have to wait. I''ve already broken my piggybank.
Will your wife be getting diamonds for Valentine''s?
1.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 11:04:53 AM
Your whole jewellery wardrobe.
Ok, I''ll admit it. I do want an emerald-cut diamond at some point.
See, I knew it!
2.gif
That hankering will grow into full-fledged coveting and before you know it, presto, there''s an emerald-cut on your finger and your bank account is severely depleted! I have to admit, I love emerald cuts too.

Harriet, I''ll save you from my whole jewelry wardrobe because I''ve been buying for a while. I have a particular weakness for Cartier - not good. But with respect to the basics:

e-ring: On it''s way and I''m DYING! My requirements were ideal cut, F VS2 minimum RB. We''ll see!
RHR: A 2.47 F IF Asscher from WF - final setting TBD.
Studs: 2+ carats, total. 1.02 or so each, G VS2, Ideal, GIA certified. I bought certified diamonds so that I could upgrade more easily.
Tennis bracelet: A 7-carat G VS, 3-prong setting.
Pendant: A 2.8-carat pear to be set into a pendant - it''s currently a ring, bought from an estate (deal of the century!). Two appraisals done: one is G VS2, the other is H SI-1.

I''m one of those color-sensitive gals. I see color in the pear diamond, probably because of the size and the fancy shape, but as a pendant, I''m ok with that. The diamonds in the bracelet and earrings are too small for the color to be noticeable to my eye. I wear F and above on my hands generally.

I think the relativity is what is important. If you have a gorgeous I/J on your hands, you don''t want to detract from that. Does that make sense?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think simple studs are by their very nature are "conservative"...(unless they're enormous honkers
1.gif
)

So size is more a matter of personal taste, budget, earlobe size, hairstyle, etc etc ...

(I do think it's probably a good idea to choose some that are "up-gradable" in case your taste changes in years ahead.)

widget

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,

Do tell me more! Do you by any chance live in NY? I saw a drop-dead gorgeous 5 carat emerald-cut diamond that was set in a splt-shank at Locke's. I don't remember if it had pave. It cost a whopping $230,000, so it's not happening for a long long time, if ever. I'm just starting my jewellery collection (and you're a bad bad influence).
Here's all I have:
1. My baby Lucida.
2. My e-ring.
3. Small diamond ring, studs and pendants that were a gift from my parents. I'll keep them for sentimental reasons.
4. Mikimoto pearl earrings and necklance.
Here's all I want:
1. A higher-coloured e-ring (bigger?).
2. Those HW earrings.
3. The smallest Cartier Tank Americaine (I don't have a watch).
4. Studs.
I'm still pretty young, so I'll have to wait to fulfill my wishlist.

Widget,
I'm planning to get the studs from WF. They will upgrade earrings too, right?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 2:37:50 PM

Widget, I''m planning to get the studs from WF. They will upgrade earrings too, right?
I think the ACAs are....if I''m wrong, I''m sure I''ll be corrected soon!

widget

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,
Do tell me more! Do you by any chance live in NY? I saw a drop-dead gorgeous 5 carat emerald-cut diamond that was set in a splt-shank at Locke's. I don't remember if it had pave. It cost a whopping $230,000, so it's not happening for a long long time. I'm just starting my jewellery collection (and you're a bad bad influence).
Here's all I have:
1. My baby Lucida.
2. My e-ring.
3. Small diamond ring, studs and pendants that were a gift from my parents. I'll keep them for sentimental reasons.

Here's all I want:

2. Those HW earrings.
4. Studs.
5. Don't forget the wedding band!
Harriet, unfortunately I'm not in NYC right now - I lived there for a stint a few years ago. I visit sometimes because I have tons o' friends still there.

That EC sounds pretty sweet! For $230K, it would have to be just about flawless. I did a quick search and it looks like you could pick one up here E VS2 for under $100K. Ha-ha! We'll get right on that. It's nice to know you can always upgrade with WF though, right?

I have a small collection of Cartier watches. My favorite petite one is my Lanieres Tank Allongee in rose gold. Have you seen that model? If not, check it out - you can get different gold colors and strap combos. Diamonds or plain....

Are you sure you don't want a pendant? Hee-hee!
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 3:11:25 PM
Author: starryeyed

Starryeyed,
Do tell me more! Do you by any chance live in NY? I saw a drop-dead gorgeous 5 carat emerald-cut diamond that was set in a splt-shank at Locke's. I don't remember if it had pave. It cost a whopping $230,000, so it's not happening for a long long time. I'm just starting my jewellery collection (and you're a bad bad influence).
Here's all I have:
1. My baby Lucida.
2. My e-ring.

Here's all I want:

2. Those HW earrings.
4. Studs.
5. Don't forget the wedding band!
Harriet, unfortunately I'm not in NYC right now - I lived there for a stint a few years ago. I visit sometimes because I have tons o' friends still there.

That EC sounds pretty sweet! For $230K, it would have to be just about flawless. I did a quick search and it looks like you could pick one up here E VS2 for under $100K. Ha-ha! We'll get right on that. It's nice to know you can always upgrade with WF though, right?

I have a small collection of Cartier watches. My favorite petite one is my Lanieres Tank Allongee in rose gold. Have you seen that model? If not, check it out - you can get different gold colors and strap combos. Diamonds or plain....

Are you sure you don't want a pendant? Hee-hee!
31.gif
Lovely watch. I really don't want a pendant. That said, my birthday is coming up. So, if you're feeling generous, I won't complain.
You're turning me into the green-eyed monster. Please tell me that you got a good headstart.
1.gif

Btw, PS photoshopped a skinny Ritani eternity band onto my e-ring. Did you see it?

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 2:55:28 PM
Author: widget

Widget, I''m planning to get the studs from WF. They will upgrade earrings too, right?
I think the ACAs are....if I''m wrong, I''m sure I''ll be corrected soon!

widget
The preset studs from WF do not have the upgrade policy. They can make them with the ACAs for you then they will be upgradable. I believe it is a little more expensive this way but well worth it if you think you may want to upgrade later.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 3:27:27 PM
Lovely watch. I really don't want a pendant. That said, my birthday is coming up. So, if you're feeling generous, I won't complain.
You're turning me into the green-eyed monster. Please tell me that you got a good headstart.
1.gif

Btw, PS photoshopped a skinny Ritani eternity band onto my e-ring. Did you see it?
Yes - I saw it. The ring is lovely. Before taking the plunge though, my guess is you will have to try a few on - different widths and shank styles to be certain that the skinny Ritani is for you. Perhaps check to see if the ring looks good on your hand as a stand-alone, just in case you don't want to wear your e-ring.

In terms of a head start, what I've done in the past has been to ask family members to contribute to jewelry purchases for big gifts like graduations, big birthdays, etc. So for example, I bought my first studs when I earned my masters and everyone put money toward them as a graduation gift. That way, I've tried to build a collection of fewer, but nicer things. Cartier doesn't fit with that rule though - I'm helpless when I walk into that store, particularly the shops in France where they have the latest and greatest. Hopeless!
19.gif

Happy birthday in advance Harriet!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 4:13:35 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 1/27/2007 3:27:27 PM
1.gif

Yes - I saw it. The ring is lovely. Before taking the plunge though, my guess is you will have to try a few on - different widths and shank styles to be certain that the skinny Ritani is for you. Perhaps check to see if the ring looks good on your hand as a stand-alone, just in case you don't want to wear your e-ring.

In terms of a head start, what I've done in the past has been to ask family members to contribute to jewelry purchases for big gifts like graduations, big birthdays, etc. So for example, I bought my first studs when I earned my masters and everyone put money toward them as a graduation gift. That way, I've tried to build a collection of fewer, but nicer things. Cartier doesn't fit with that rule though - I'm helpless when I walk into that store, particularly the shops in France where they have the latest and greatest. Hopeless!
19.gif

Happy birthday in advance Harriet!
Thanks!
When is your e-ring coming? F colour? I'm jealous.
Are the Cartier watches cheaper in France? Are there any online dealers here you trust?
The route from my apartment to my office takes me past Locke's, Tiffany's, HW and near Cartier. Terrible.
I'll 'fess up to one more thing - a pave-haloed cushion cut a la HW.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results