shape
carat
color
clarity

Studs Question Again-- Excellent or Ideal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

malibu

Rough_Rock
My studs are 3.0 tcw and F color and excellent cut.

They dont sparkle like my engagement ring which is 2.5 ideal cut. I see more rainbow in the ring.

Should I bump them up to ideal, or is it because they are smaller that I do not see the rainbow as much?

Additionally, they do not droop ,but will they appear bigger in martini setting?

TIA

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wow, those are boulders!! I have H color, AGS triple 0. I paid for ideal cut over color. I could have gotten F or G with lesser cut but I figured close to my face I wanted more sparkle. I think cut is most important. The thing is, there is no right or wrong answer. You should be happy and love them and if you are not happy and can exchange them, then you should do it :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of cert do they have? If it is GIA, excellent is the highest cut grade.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are only 1 ctw, ags000 and they sparkle like crazy, in the right lighting conditions. So I don''t think it''s size, it must be cut.

malibu

Rough_Rock
It is a GIA certificate. My ring definitely sparkles more though, you see more facets.

Soo confused

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then excellent is the highest cut grade for GIA and there is overlap between AGS Ideal, but not always. Does the cert have a diamond with measurements given? If you can tell us the table size, total depth, crown angle, and pavilion angle, we can put the numbers in the HCA and see how it scores.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it doesn't matter if they are GIA EX or VG or whatever lab cut grade....honestly, i would use the numbers to determine cut quality. i never trust a lab cut grade to tell me the story, not even an AGS0.

that said, if they are well-cut, you should see sparkles, colors, flashes of white light etc in them just as you do your ring stone. they may not be well cut OR they just may be dirty. how often do you clean them? diamonds are dust and dirt magnets and if you wear them alot, your oils from your hair, hair spray etc will definitely make them dirty. i would clean them really well and then see how they compare.

but if it still bothers you, and you can trade them in or exchange them for ideals, go for it...then maybe it will be more visually on par with what you see in your ring. good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It''s also important to consider that your ring has a much greater "range of motion" than earrings do. Earrings are in a pretty static position on the head, so they aren''t in movement in several directions the way e-rings are.

Having said that, I have ideally cut earrings, and I DO see an appreciate difference in sparkle compared to average cut earrings.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You could probably have them re cut also and if the stones are GIA ex ex near ideals not lose much weight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results