shape
carat
color
clarity

Studmania

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my 2005 goals is diamond stud earrings. Just got back from the jewelers and he''s getting a pair for my inspection: .59 each (5.4mm); I, SI2, $2104 for the pair. Then I log on here and read some stud threads and it seems it would be easier to just buy from either Whiteflash or Dirtcheap and fuggedabout all this inspection stuff and setting choices. Pros & cons, please, folks. I was there for 3 hours also looking at emeralds, tsavs, and waaaay too many pendant ideas for a diamond I want to reset and I''m tired so maybe I''ll have a clearer head after a nap. I would like some earring advice, though. Ciao for now, gonna curl up w/the kitties for a cat nap
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I bought .57each loose stones from DCD last year and had them set in martini settings. They are G SI2''s, ideal cuts, and I paid just slightly more than what you are being quoted. (Probably because they are G color.)

I''m not sure what you are asking here, but I love mine, and liked buying the loose stones because I selected exactly what I wanted, and know just what I got. My complaint with most pre-set stones is that they never include cut information. The WF Expert Select stones are supposed to be sparklers, so maybe in that instance, I''d make the exception and assume they would be well cut. In most cases, I don''t assume the pre-sets are well cut.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, lop. My dilemma is I''m unsure whether it''s important to me to have super sparklers in my ears rather than the average cuts. I''ve been reading a lot of earring threads the last hour which is what I should have done before I posted cause now I feel guilty wasting anyone''s time on a subject that has been thoroughly discussed.

How to you like the martini settings? Do they really fit closer to the ear than a 3 or 4 prong basket? Did you find the setting to be secure and do you think it''s secure for heavier diamonds, say .75 to .90? And, what type of back would you suggest, friction or la pousette. I don''t like screwbacks.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 11:33
6.gif
3 PM
Author: lop
I bought .57each loose stones from DCD last year and had them set in martini settings. They are G SI2''s, ideal cuts, and I paid just slightly more than what you are being quoted. (Probably because they are G color.)

I''m not sure what you are asking here, but I love mine, and liked buying the loose stones because I selected exactly what I wanted, and know just what I got. My complaint with most pre-set stones is that they never include cut information. The WF Expert Select stones are supposed to be sparklers, so maybe in that instance, I''d make the exception and assume they would be well cut. In most cases, I don''t assume the pre-sets are well cut.

Lop - WF is pretty excited about these... They are ideal cut diamonds (letter of verification and laser-inscription on every stone to that effect). I had my GF''s set in those martini settings and she has not stopped "thanking" me
2.gif
. My mom''s and a few friends I bought are in the 4-prong which are great too...But my ''druther is the martini - at least in the .30 tcw I bought for my "peeps."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
martini all the way baby, they seem to make the stones look bigger, or maybe that''s the exceptional ACA cut?
9.gif

i''m perpetually on the hunt to upgrade mine to some nice .65 J SI2''s but alas, no inventory. surprise!
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The selected earrings at WF read "I SI" for one carat total and that price. They say "ideal cut" on top of everything. Assuming both WF and your jeweler mean the same thing by those color and clarity grades... it appeas that WF''s come with a bit extra for what that matters. ''Bet they''d come with photos and IS if this forum had no rules
20.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2005 12
6.gif
6.gif
7 AM
Author: Matata
Thanks, lop. My dilemma is I''m unsure whether it''s important to me to have super sparklers in my ears rather than the average cuts. I''ve been reading a lot of earring threads the last hour which is what I should have done before I posted cause now I feel guilty wasting anyone''s time on a subject that has been thoroughly discussed.

How to you like the martini settings? Do they really fit closer to the ear than a 3 or 4 prong basket? Did you find the setting to be secure and do you think it''s secure for heavier diamonds, say .75 to .90? And, what type of back would you suggest, friction or la pousette. I don''t like screwbacks.
I love the martini settings. They sit very flush, and don''t really show at all, so it is all about the stone. Worlds better than some of the taller basket or other styles. I believe it does make a difference to have a well cut stone for earrings. Mine catch the light and sparkle like most don''t. It''s almost distracting. Besides, they frame you face, so don''t you want them to look great?
2.gif

I haven''t looked at the WF pre-sets, so didn''t realize they listed them as ideal cut, but would assume they would be great since that is what the expert selection is about.

I have the "Guardian" locking backs, which I guess is just a different brand form the La Pousettes. I like them a lot, and have no trouble with them. SOme people think they are awkward to deal with, but I think it''s a matter of getting used to them. They feel very secure, and never seem to budge, even if I pull a shirt on or off over my head (which is how I have lost many an earring back.) I think they would be fine for larger stones also.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, with earrings cut matters TREMENDOUSLY!!! Earrings become dirty very fast, just like rings do, due to hair products, makeup, lotion, and all this stuff smudging them, so you want to be sure they still sparkle even if you don''t have time to clean them every single day.

My earrings are well cut, but not super sparklers so next time I buy, it''ll be a purchase of *the best* cut possible.

Petunia

Rough_Rock
Matata,

Two years ago I bought a pair of diamond earrings from a local jewelry shop. The thrill of the purchase soon diminished after realizing that they were pretty dull and lifeless in most lighting. I spent a chunk of change on a pair of diamond earrings that I found disappointing
7.gif

Last year I was itching to replace those diamond earrings. I initially set out to buy a pair from a local B&M store but then I said to myself---I said, I said, “Self? Is this really what you want to do? Will you regret this a few months or years down the road, again?” Answer: no. I decided to put a little more effort into my search this time. I spent a few months looking over many diamonds from various vendors and all the possibilities. After a few agonizing days, a few emails and phone calls later, I had a pair of Whiteflash ACA, 1.50 cttw, diamond stud earrings in the WG martini setting. In the end, it was an enjoyable process and I was able to select the diamonds that I wanted in the setting I wanted. No regrets
2.gif
3.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I finally had a chance to "scope" my studs, and based on what I can see w/naked eyes, and their measurements (now that I am becoming PS educated!!!!!), the IS confirmed what I suspected....they are somewhat deep!!! They are better than many out there, but.....think I''ll start looking (actually, I have started looking!)....to upgrade....
4.gif

sdm

Rough_Rock
Go for the super sparklers!
emthup.gif
I recently bought diamond studs (ideal cut, G, SI1) from Good Old Gold,and the cut was the most important thing I considered. I have a smaller size (.68 cttw) than what you are looking for, and I probably spend more time than I should looking at the sparkle of the stones. In all kinds of light the stones are mesmerizing. I have received many compliments on the sparkle. If I were going to do anything differently, I would probably go with a little bigger size. But I am very happy with my purchase.
I have the martini setting and the push backs. Here's a pic of the setting and the stones.

SMSVstuds.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. Martinis they will be, and expertly selected too.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Good choice! Can''t wait to see the pics...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results