shape
carat
color
clarity

Stud earrings 0.8ctw G VS2: am I throwing away money?

rossi46

Rough_Rock
Is it silly to go for G VS2 when buying diamond stud earrings at 0.8ctw? I don't mind paying more for - I'll be getting either whiteflash ACA or BGD Signature - but beyond the "mind clean" thing, am I just throwing away money?

Please let me know what the minimum is for studs at this size, and if there will be an appreciable difference in going to either a G or F, and a VS2 or VS1.

Thanks!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am also looking for ..80 I will be happy with iJ color eye clean si1. I just want ideal cut

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossi46|1449108122|3956672 said:
Is it silly to go for G VS2 when buying diamond stud earrings at 0.8ctw? I don't mind paying more for - I'll be getting either whiteflash ACA or BGD Signature - but beyond the "mind clean" thing, am I just throwing away money?

Please let me know what the minimum is for studs at this size, and if there will be an appreciable difference in going to either a G or F, and a VS2 or VS1.

Thanks!

Yes. You are throwing money away. Stick to I-J (I personally like K's for earrings) and Si1 clarity.

Your stones will only be seen straight on so no body color (especially at that size) is going to be visible from the side. And they will face up bright white. And no one is getting closer to your ears than 10 inches, so clarity is a largely moot point.

Don't waste your money.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rossi46

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - thank you for the quick and honest responses.

I agree, G/VS2 does sound like ering specs. I guess because all the research I've been doing on diamonds refers to ring diamonds, I have it set in my head that I have to go with those to get the high quality diamond I want. I can't get away from thinking H/I and SI1 (eye clean) should be my minimum - and that does save me $$ over my original searches.

As far as those 1ctw you linked to, my gf and I actually went to Tiffany and tried on different sizes of studs. Guess I'm lucky, becuase the 1ctw she immediately thought were too big for her lobes. 0.8ctw was the sweet spot!

One last question: 14k white gold or platinum for the setting (3-prong martini)? My gut says platinum but, again, is that a waste of money?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you can drop in color and clarity. Nobody is going to be that close to earrings. :-o

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossi46|1449110196|3956699 said:
Gypsy - thank you for the quick and honest responses.

I agree, G/VS2 does sound like ering specs. I guess because all the research I've been doing on diamonds refers to ring diamonds, I have it set in my head that I have to go with those to get the high quality diamond I want. I can't get away from thinking H/I and SI1 (eye clean) should be my minimum - and that does save me $$ over my original searches.

As far as those 1ctw you linked to, my gf and I actually went to Tiffany and tried on different sizes of studs. Guess I'm lucky, becuase the 1ctw she immediately thought were too big for her lobes. 0.8ctw was the sweet spot!

One last question: 14k white gold or platinum for the setting (3-prong martini)? My gut says platinum but, again, is that a waste of money?

No, now SEE, THAT is a good place to spend money. Why? You develop new allergies every 7 years. And many people develop nickle allergies. Platinum is a safer choice as it is hypoallergenic for most people.

8)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you are throwing away money if you are color sensitive. I am and returned my I, VS2 pair from WF and went with a G, SI1. If you know you aren't that sensitive then you could go lower in color. As to clarity, again it depends on whether you need mind clean. It's ok if you do and want to get VS2. It depends on YOUR preferences.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's personal. To me, g color looks tinted. I or j looks yellow. My first studs were I color, and they never looked white to me. If color is important to you, the money is well spent. If not, go with the i/j color stones. Try to view the different colors before your purchase so you can make an informed decision, and then enjoy!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just read that you went to tiffany. Seems like you have your answer!

rossi46

Rough_Rock
rocks|1449159834|3956923 said:
Just read that you went to tiffany. Seems like you have your answer!

Hah we only went there because it was convenient. We live in NYC and my gf's office is down the street from the main Tiffany location. Don't worry - the actual purchase will be made either through Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds.

Tiffany wanted $7,300 for a 0.8ctw G VVS2, platinum 3-prong martini setting. :-o

Carlowen

Rough_Rock
Last Christmas I was looking for the same thing.
(I had to edit my earlier post because my recollection was wrong.)

I went with the best cut and color and sacraficed on clarity. I found that a really good cut and polish is most critical since this small stone is trying to gather and give off light and sparkle. A cheap cut is simply not an option here.
I also found that loose diamonds are tiered at certain weights, so for example a .23-.24 carat stone is considerably less than a .25
and the stones that make up .75 and 1.00 TCW respectively cost more than say a stones that total <.74 TCW or <1.00 TCW.

I went with two stones at .34 for a TCW of .68. The cut and polish were GIA excellent and the color was E and F. The clarity was VS2 however.
I paid $1363 for both stones and mounting in 18C white gold

Carlowen

Rough_Rock
I mean to say they are price tiered at certain weights within 1 carat.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just wanted to add one thing to the size issue - I was trying on earrings at Tiffany's and since their diamonds were cut to be spready/face up larger and not to the ideal proportions I really felt they are huge. Plus the light in the store made me feel like they are too blinky... Now when I look back (I liked in the T&Co a 0.8ctw pair the most, then ordered at BGD a 1.1ctw pair and ended up upgraiding them to 1.4ctw later) I am happy I did not choose based on that one single visit... :)

And I own a H colored and G colored pair and would probably stick to the G-I range for a MRB.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!

If you think you're throwing money away, then you are.
If you think you're not throwing money away, then you aren't.

This is not one of those absolute things.
It's an opinion thing.

Some people, even after getting educated that it does nothing for the beauty or light performance and results in a tiny diamond for the budget simply MUST have a D flawless diamond.
AFTER education there is no wrong choice on color and clarity though a few bulldozer regular posters here will order you around on color and clarity choice.
I say, get educated and discover your own comfort zone.

Even if 98% posted you are not throwing your money away you may be in the 2% who think you are.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
If you think you're throwing money away, then you are.
If you think you're not throwing money away, then you aren't.

This is not one of those absolute things.
It's an opinion thing.

Some people, even after getting educated that it does nothing for the beauty or light performance and results in a tiny diamond for the budget simply MUST have a D flawless diamond.
AFTER education there is no wrong choice on color and clarity though a few bulldozer regular posters here will order you around on color and clarity choice.
I say, get educated and discover your own comfort zone.

Even if 98% posted you are not throwing your money away you may be in the 2% who think you are.

Well said Kenny!
I don't often post on this board, but I got educated and, no matter what other people think, I get a subtle pleasure in wearing high quality diamonds: my studs are 0.86 ctw F VVS1 GIA ex/ex/ex .
Go to a local jeweller and judge with your own eyes.
:wavey:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Thanks!

I would say not. I'm color sensitive, and can readily tell a G from a J. My everyday earrings are .84 TCW F-SI1 ACA's. I had to spend a bit more to get them, but I think it money well spent.

rossi46

Rough_Rock
Andelain said:
I would say not. I'm color sensitive, and can readily tell a G from a J. My everyday earrings are .84 TCW F-SI1 ACA's. I had to spend a bit more to get them, but I think it money well spent.

purplesilk said:
I get a subtle pleasure in wearing high quality diamonds: my studs are 0.86 ctw F VVS1 GIA ex/ex/ex

Thank you ladies very much for the honest feedback. The last thing I want to do is save money up front, but then notice that the diamonds could have been a touch whiter if I had spent just another couple hundred bucks. Luckily at this ctw the price difference is not THAT much more to go into the F range.

Since you two also have studs in the 0.8ctw range, may I ask if that was due to lobe size? Or if you had the $$$ would you replace them with 1ctw?

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
My earlobes are the norm, they could easily wear bigger diamonds.
My budget was 20k : at first I tried 2 ctw, then 1 ctw, but when I put on my 0.86 ctw I thought they were perfect,not too modest not too gaudy...I bought my studs one year ago and I have no regrets.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
rossi46|1449268981|3957594 said:
Since you two also have studs in the 0.8ctw range, may I ask if that was due to lobe size? Or if you had the $$$ would you replace them with 1ctw?

Just preference. I also have studs in .25 CTW, .52 CTW, 1.06 CTW, and 1.34 CTW. All super-ideals, bus the .84's are my go-to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My input. Most of the folks on this thread are diamond connoisseurs. The equivalent of rare car/sports car aficionados. Far from your average consumer. These are people who are wearing high color and clarity for the joy of it. People who are very much the exception, not the rule.

To keep it in perspective... your lady is probably someone who is going to be thrilled with a Lexus (the I color studs from whiteflash), because most of the stuff out there is Kia quality (mall stores).

She doesn't need the Maserati to be thrilled, like our connoisseurs.

That's why I recommended what I did. And that's why I am saying that you would be wasting money to go higher.

Tiffany carries I VS2 stones. And those Whiteflash stones were better cut than Tiffany studs. So you are already ABOVE her expectations in terms of quality.

There is a saying attributed to Voltaire: The perfect is the enemy of the good.

And that's what is happening here. You have great studs at I VS2. You don't need perfectly perfect connoisseur quality. And that, frankly, is what folks that are going for high color and clarity are going for. Perfection.

You don't need it. And yes, you would be wasting money on it.

Also, regarding size, the WF stones have full upgrade so if she decides she wants larger later on, you can upgrade them.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
How I came to my choice:
1 ctw vs 0.80 ctw:
one 0.50 ct diamond is 0.2 mm bigger than 0.40 ct: the size difference is distinguishable when diamonds are compared side by side, but not obvious when on the earlobe;
one 0.50 ct diamond costs twice as 0.40 ct;
MY priorities: cut,color, clarity, carat.
Tiffany is a great brand but you can have bigger and better diamonds for half the price if you buy elsewhere (my local jeweller carries Damiani: beautiful pieces but not worth the money IMHO because I can get custom jewels with quality diamonds for less money).

rossi46 said:

SHE tried different sizes: 1 ctw was too big and 0.8ctw was the sweet spot...SHE did her choice!

Gypsy said:
Also, regarding size, the WF stones have full upgrade so if she decides she wants larger later on, you can upgrade them.
Upgrade option is interesting...no one knows the future!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
rossi46 said:
Tiffany wanted $7,300 for a 0.8ctw G VVS2, platinum 3-prong martini setting. :-o
I forgot to mention that I got my 0.86 F VVS1 ctw studs for $ 3200 (six prong setting in 18 ct white gold).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so great that you have received such a variety of perspectives and options. People have told you why they chose what they chose. You have been thoughtful and careful in your decision making process, doing your due diligence and giving careful consideration to many aspects of the gift and the receiver. At this point, if it were me, with the information with which you have been armed, I would make my decision based on my gut. There have been far too many times where I have second guessed myself and not stuck with what initially struck me as something I wanted. And I have regretted it and after a dozen other purchases I still want what I originally wanted. Good luck to you. I am sure that whatever you choose will be beautiful. Please post pictures when she receives them!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lobe size matters. My current studs are esi1 and fvs2, 1.85ctw, and on the shallow side of ideal. In isolation they look pretty big. On my ears, not se much. I am petite, with very small fingers and huge earlobes.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, color and clarity preferences are so subjective and so very personal that it's almost impossible to tell a poster what to do. We can really only chime in with our own reasons as to why we like the levels of color and clarity that we do.

I have some I diamonds and some DEFG diamonds. I have to say, my "I" solitaire pendant which is a Brian Gavin Signature looks perfectly white, BUT, when I look a distance away in a mirror, the higher-color diamond solitaires that I have show up better. The "I" seems to blend in with my skin more and doesn't show up as a bright pinprick from a distance that the higher-color ones do. However, perhaps not everyone would discern that difference. "I" colors look perfectly white most of the time, unless you're color sensitive, and they are fantastic value.

There is received wisdom that studs don't need to be the same quality as an e-ring, but I'm not sure about this. People see your earrings more because they are looking at your head when you talk, and since your head is mobile and moves around at different angles, it's kind of the ideal vehicle to show off a diamond's beauty. So for me, I think that a fabulous cut like the WF stones and a higher color is a great idea for studs - doesn't have to be DE, but if it were me buying, I think I'd try to get to G. Personally, I don't like paying for ultra-high clarity because I can't see it.

These preferences are of course just my opinion. I think you should buy what YOU like and not worry about wasting money. As Kenny said, if you LOVE it, then it's not a waste.

rossi46

Rough_Rock
Jambalaya said:
There is received wisdom that studs don't need to be the same quality as an e-ring, but I'm not sure about this. People see your earrings more because they are looking at your head when you talk, and since your head is mobile and moves around at different angles, it's kind of the ideal vehicle to show off a diamond's beauty.

So glad you made this point, as it's something that I've been thinking about, also!

I'd say that people are more apt to see your earrings more often than an e-ring. Who goes around staring at people's rings? We do, however, look at people's faces all day long - and the ears are right there.

I'm loving all the different opinions here. This is such a great forum. :appl:

LLJsmom said:
Good luck to you. I am sure that whatever you choose will be beautiful. Please post pictures when she receives them!

Thank you, LLJsmom! The earrings will be a Christmas present, so give me another few weeks and I'll definitely post pics.

As an update, we again were out window shopping today (this time at Americana Manhasset, for any of you Long Island folks) and she tried on different sized studs at London Jewelers and Tiffany. She's sticking to her guns that 1.0ctw is too big, and 0.8ctw is the size she wants.

I'll pull the trigger with a pair from Whiteflash after my next paycheck on the 15th. Very excited!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results